Hydros collective with WE v2

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a WE v2 that I use to control my wave pumps on my FOWLR. I am looking to add some Nicrew HyperReef lights to my tank. I was going to get the Nicrew controller, but I have read how to use Hydros collective to control the lights. Some documentation I have read on the V2 says it is a control device and you need a control device to be able to control the Nicrew lights. I know the v1 will not work to control the lights but a v2 should allow me to control it correct?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a WE v2 that I use to control my wave pumps on my FOWLR. I am looking to add some Nicrew HyperReef lights to my tank. I was going to get the Nicrew controller, but I have read how to use Hydros collective to control the lights. Some documentation I have read on the V2 says it is a control device and you need a control device to be able to control the Nicrew lights. I know the v1 will not work to control the lights but a v2 should allow me to control it correct?
I am pretty new to hydros or any control for that matter but I think the wave engine alone will not control the lights.
The WE V2 has 4 direct drive ports for pumps. It also has 0-10 volt in and out connections. The 0-10 volt will allow you to purchase an adapter cable that includes 4 pin connections for pumps such as my reef octo various 8. I would use one adapter to power my various 8 controller and eliminate the power supply that came with the varios8. I would still have 3 available connections left in addition to the4 direct drive ports which in my case are running 4 gyres.

You may be mis understanding that the WE v2 is a controller that can connect by a cable to a XP8 or by WiFi to a smart plug. That would allow you to run lights and somewhat control them by time or etc. but not spectrum or channels.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My statements are based of information directly on Hydros website about the WE v2. Since you do not have actual knowledge your comments are not of much help. You yourself say your new to Hydros. I am asking for people who have the specific knowledge I am looking for and your answer does not help in resolving the question.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My statements are based of information directly on Hydros website about the WE v2. Since you do not have actual knowledge your comments are not of much help. You yourself say you’re new to Hydros. I am asking for people who have the specific knowledge I am looking for and your answer does not help in resolving the question.
Good luck on a solution!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My statements are based of information directly on Hydros website about the WE v2. Since you do not have actual knowledge your comments are not of much help. You yourself say your new to Hydros. I am asking for people who have the specific knowledge I am looking for and your answer does not help in resolving the question.
The WEv2 would have to be in a collective to be able to control lights and that would be a 0-10v control signal so you would still need a controller for the lights that has a 0-10v control input on it. The 0-10v signal will not power any lights it is for control purposes only.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WEv1 and WEv2 both have 0-10v ports, Hydros site says unit has to be a control unit to be able to create a collective and it said specifically that v1 was not a control unit. But the site for the v2 lists it as a control unit and so that is what I am attempting to confirm or not. And all the posts by Hydros/Coralvue staff talking on forums about the WE and 0-10v light control was before the release of v2 and they said specifically a control unit was required and that was not part of the plans for the v1. V2 was released after that, and thats why I am looking for clarification since the Hydros site lists the v2 as a control unit.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WEv1 and WEv2 both have 0-10v ports, Hydros site says unit has to be a control unit to be able to create a collective and it said specifically that v1 was not a control unit. But the site for the v2 lists it as a control unit and so that is what I am attempting to confirm or not. And all the posts by Hydros/Coralvue staff talking on forums about the WE and 0-10v light control was before the release of v2 and they said specifically a control unit was required and that was not part of the plans for the v1. V2 was released after that, and thats why I am looking for clarification since the Hydros site lists the v2 as a control unit.
The WEv2 can be a wifi master in a collective the WEv1 cannot do that. So you can create a collective with just a WEv2 if you want. ai did that after I first got mine to test than and had it controlling a wifi power strip also. I did not try using the 0-10v inputs or outputs with it as a single unit in a collective but it might work. You can create the collective and the see if it will let you setup an output using the 0-10v output for lighting. If it does then you can create a schedule and use that output in it. If that works the only issue left would be going from the GX12 connector to the 0-10v input on your lights. Hydros has a cable that splits either the 0-10v inputs or 0-10v outputs into 4 3.5mm stereo plugs if that helps.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that was what I was looking for. I have the 0-10v quad cable on order for the lights. Once I get the cables I will try to add the lights as 0-10v input. Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got Confirmation from Coralvue that the WE v2 can create a collective and can support light controls via 0-10v. With the correct cables etc.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that was what I was looking for. I have the 0-10v quad cable on order for the lights. Once I get the cables I will try to add the lights as 0-10v input. Thank you for your help!
You can go ahead and create the collective and setup the output. It will still work without anything hooked to the output so if it sets up and the schedule runs you should be good. It will also show up in the output logs.

OP
OP
cdnco2004

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go ahead and create the collective and setup the output. It will still work without anything hooked to the output so if it sets up and the schedule runs you should be good. It will also show up in the output logs.
Yeah when I get home from work I was going to do just that. And then when the new light and cable arrive connect them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back