Hydros Control 2 , Control 4 and accessories question and answer thread.

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the Hydros people. The product description for the single smart wifi plug tells you that you can be alerted when a piece of equipment is not drawing the normal amount of power.... but... on an old post in their forum it seems that was going to be an ability for a future release...

Is that functionality in place now?

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the Hydros people. The product description for the single smart wifi plug tells you that you can be alerted when a piece of equipment is not drawing the normal amount of power.... but... on an old post in their forum it seems that was going to be an ability for a future release...

Is that functionality in place now?
No, that feature is not currently in place. You can just manually view the power usage at this time.

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many devices do you want to monitor voltage on? You have to remember you can only have 8 wifi devices and only the single outlets allow power monitoring.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the feedback. disappointing, i think thats a big one when im building my pros/cons on what controller to buy.
This function is coming sometime in the future, they just can't say when. But its definitely on the list... I keep asking for it myself =) But I definitely understand, you really can only judge a product on what it has now, not what they say they will.

But if you look alone at the cadence of updates and added improvements since release (pages, WE updates, and more), it shows their history up pumping out significant improvements over the last 8 months.

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many devices do you want to monitor voltage on? You have to remember you can only have 8 wifi devices and only the single outlets allow power monitoring.
i figure the return pump is the most critical. I guess the other option to detecting failure would be the return section in the sump rising to a water level sensor....

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This function is coming sometime in the future, they just can't say when. But its definitely on the list... I keep asking for it myself =) But I definitely understand, you really can only judge a product on what it has now, not what they say they will.

But if you look alone at the cadence of updates and added improvements since release (pages, WE updates, and more), it shows their history up pumping out significant improvements over the last 8 months.
I was a Vertex Cerebra victim so that experience has me new controller gunshy

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i figure the return pump is the most critical. I guess the other option to detecting failure would be the return section in the sump rising to a water level sensor....
On my tank the overfull sensor would trigger if the return pump were to stop. This also turns off the skimmer. The overfull sensor also triggers an alert so you would defiantly know about it If it happens. Below is a sample of the alerts you get from the Hydros. They will repeat on mine every 30 minutes until the issue is resolved. Some of the alerts here happened when the fresh saltwater tank went low. It transferred the water from the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank. Then refilled the mix tank with DI water from the RODI unit.

9A0273C4-0F98-449B-9A93-F76DDF72FD62.png

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the XS and the power 4 smart plug and have had no luck getting it set up. I followed the instructions online multiple times and have no idea where I am at in the process. The app lacks confirmation that everything is connected so I really have no idea where I am at with it and I also have had no luck connecting the power strip to the xs. I’m 30 years old and college educated(only stating this for reference because when people see my username they seem to assume I am a elderly)so I feel as if I have decent understanding of technology but I do not consider myself a tech person per say. In order to test the ease of process and my lack of tech skill I also had my younger brother who is very tech savvy and my father and neither of them had any luck figuring the device out.

I looked for how to videos online and didn’t find any, also emailed coralvue twice with no response, and messaged brs (they recommended I call but the hours don’t jive with my schedule).

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the XS and the power 4 smart plug and have had no luck getting it set up. I followed the instructions online multiple times and have no idea where I am at in the process. The app lacks confirmation that everything is connected so I really have no idea where I am at with it and I also have had no luck connecting the power strip to the xs. I’m 30 years old and college educated(only stating this for reference because when people see my username they seem to assume I am a elderly)so I feel as if I have decent understanding of technology but I do not consider myself a tech person per say. In order to test the ease of process and my lack of tech skill I also had my younger brother who is very tech savvy and my father and neither of them had any luck figuring the device out.

I looked for how to videos online and didn’t find any, also emailed coralvue twice with no response, and messaged brs (they recommended I call but the hours don’t jive with my schedule).
Sorry to hear your having issues. I've found it super easy to set up and I'm not that tech minded

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most of the issues that I have seen/heard revolve around peoples WiFi, especially with cable company equipment. I would head to the Hydros forum like n2585722 mentioned another good resource is CoralVue YouTube page.
This was my issue with Xfinity and thier hardware. So I put my old trusty Netgear AC3200 back online and it's been solid for me. This way, if for some reason my Xfinity service goes down, the Netgear router will still allow everything to talk and keeps the programming running as intended on my internal home network

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: CORALVUE HYDROS CLOUD TEMPORARLY DOWN

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fastest way to get a reply is to submit a support ticket here https://support.coralvue.com/submit_ticket . Another good place for help is their forum here https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/ . Not sure where you are does the app see the control unit on your wifi? Or is it on bluetooth only?
When I switch to bluetooth I see the control panel on the app like it is working but I’m not sure if it should be connecting only to bluetooth or not. It definitely will not connect with the power strip though.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the app up and running did you click the + sign in the upper left to add you control device to your account? It will to through the setup to connect to your wifi at that time. You can also change the name of the device then also. After that you will have to pair the wifi strip with the device by adding it in the app.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had quite a bit of a problem connecting during the initial setup. What works for me is

1. Disable the 5G network in the router
2. Reboot the router
3. Reboot the Hydros
4. (did not end up doing) i was planning to temporarily remove the password on the wifi, to see if that is a issue. But did not ended up doing as i was able to connect after step 3.

Works like a charm after that. When i added the Feeder, it would connect the first time. After several attempts (nothing change), it works.

Good Luck

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros Feeder feedback/review and question

Just installed the feeder a couple of weeks ago. Works pretty well for what's its design for.

Plus+
- Cheap
- good control on the amount of food to dispense and consistent
- Mount works well

Minuses
- Limited programming (maybe user's fault?)
- I would love to 'feed' after a few seconds delay of turning off the return pump so the food doesn't go straight to the overflow. There is no way to program this. Anyone have any clues?
- I have a "feed" mode, which only turn off the pump. I then press the manual feed button on the app. Works ok, but with this i cannot automated the feeding on schedule. I have to press 2 button on the app to feed. Semi automated feeding at best. I hope future apps update will have this feature.
- I know i can use feeding rings, but the pellets (hikari marine) will just sink, and get "stuck" in the rocks. my fish is stupid, trained to eat the floating pellets only.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I switch to bluetooth I see the control panel on the app like it is working but I’m not sure if it should be connecting only to bluetooth or not. It definitely will not connect with the power strip though.
Here is a link to the instructions for getting the control unit connected to your wifi https://www.coralvuehydros.com/prod...ol/connecting-to-your-wifi-network-bluetooth/.

Here is a link for paring the wifi strips. You have to do the Control unit first https://www.coralvuehydros.com/product-support/hydros-control/pair-wifi-strip-smart-outlet/ .

Also if you want to get to the online manuals press the three horizontal dots in upper right of the app. On the popup menu that comes up press help.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back