Hydros Control 2 , Control 4 and accessories question and answer thread.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally missed that Harry posted his board haha. The diagram above is just that circuit he has laid out.

Harry and I did some work on what resistors are needed for this. It’s not as straight forward as it seems since they have some input protection on the input pin that throws off the resistor calculations. The following has been tested and works with hydros. And it also uses the 5V output already available on the 0-10v input connector.
6B631137-3E07-47F8-B622-AAA5F87E0AEB.png

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more than likely going with the Control 4 on my main display tank.

I have a couple questions when it comes to what I can/can't do with certain pieces of gear on a SECOND tank. I have a nano tank upstairs in my office.

Could I get some more control of that Nano tank from my Main Display's Control 4 by setting up one of the 4 plug wifi power strip? It is a little ways away from where my other tank is (but closer to the router). It seems as though I could control each of the 4 outlets wirelessly (assuming that it reaches that far?). This would be minimal control, correct? It would essentially be a step above having a Kasa Smart power strip from what I understand.

The next option would be to get a Control2 for that tank. I would then have full control outside of a pH probe, correct? According to the videos I have been watching, this would actually make my main tank a bit more reliable, too. If main tank's Control4 disconnects, then the nano's Control2 will then provide WiFi to it. Since I am running the Nero3, the 0-10v ports aren't needed (If I understood correctly, they can't be used on Neros). Just the lack of pH probe is all that would effect me.

The most expensive option would just be buy a second Control4. I don't really want to do that since I have very little equipment on my Nano compared to my main tank. The only thing I see as a benefit over the Control2 for this tank is the pH probe. Which I do find to be very useful.

Those of you who have multiple tanks, what solutions are you going with?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a couple questions when it comes to what I can/can't do with certain pieces of gear on a SECOND tank. I have a nano tank upstairs in my office.

Could I get some more control of that Nano tank from my Main Display's Control 4 by setting up one of the 4 plug wifi power strip? It is a little ways away from where my other tank is (but closer to the router). It seems as though I could control each of the 4 outlets wirelessly (assuming that it reaches that far?). This would be minimal control, correct? It would essentially be a step above having a Kasa Smart power strip from what I understand.

The next option would be to get a Control2 for that tank. I would then have full control outside of a pH probe, correct? According to the videos I have been watching, this would actually make my main tank a bit more reliable, too. If main tank's Control4 disconnects, then the nano's Control2 will then provide WiFi to it. Since I am running the Nero3, the 0-10v ports aren't needed (If I understood correctly, they can't be used on Neros). Just the lack of pH probe is all that would effect me.

The most expensive option would just be buy a second Control4. I don't really want to do that since I have very little equipment on my Nano compared to my main tank. The only thing I see as a benefit over the Control2 for this tank is the pH probe. Which I do find to be very useful.

If it is close enough other things could be run off the drive ports or sense ports. I am assuming the C4 is to far from the Nano to use the sense and direct drive port and that is why you are asking.

Yea it would be minimum control as of now trying to run it off a C4. Basically you could control a power strip wirelessly. You would not have any temp control.

They did announce a sense port module coming which would change all that though. The sense port module is actually a full unit like the C2 or C4 and can run stuff it just has 4 sense ports. They said in the video with it you technically do not need a C2 or C4 with the sense port module.. You buy the Sense module and a WiFi plugstrip and you have a fully operational system. You would not have any direct drive ports of coarse but another nice thing is you get the redundancy also since it is a full unit. This maybe a good option for you but I do not know the launch window for it.

Again this is only the first week who knows what they have up their sleeves. Maybe some drive ports modules are coming too.

As of right now the best way is another C2 in my opinion. Right now have 3 systems on 3 separate Hydros controllers well really 2 but I purchased another for my other system just no time to set it up yet. I am running a C4 on one system and two C2 on the other systems. Also in the software they look as one because I have the link cable and set them up as a collective.

All your assumptions are pretty spot on.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the Control 2 and Control 4 to work as a collective they have to have a wired buss connection with each other.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is close enough other things could be run off the drive ports or sense ports. I am assuming the C4 is to far from the Nano to use the sense and direct drive port and that is why you are asking.

Yea it would be minimum control as of now trying to run it off a C4. Basically you could control a power strip wirelessly. You would not have any temp control.

They did announce a sense port module coming which would change all that though. The sense port module is actually a full unit like the C2 or C4 and can run stuff. They said in the video with it you technically do not need a C2 or C4 with a sense port module.. You buy the Sense module and a WiFi plugstrip and you do not need a C2 or C4 for a full system and you get the redundancy. You would not have any direct drive ports of coarse.. This maybe a good option but I do not know the launch window for it.

Again this is only the first week who knows what they have up their sleeves. Maybe some drive ports modules are coming too.

As of right now the best way is another C2 in my opinion. I right now have 3 systems on 3 separate Hydros controllers well really 2 but I purchased another for my other system just no time to set it up yet. I am running a C4 on one system and two C2 on the other systems. Also in the software they look as one because I have the link cable and set them up as a collective.

All your assumptions are pretty spot on.

I appreciate the detailed response! I have been doing a LOT of reading and watching, but still missed the Sense Port Module. I really appreciate it. I am in the VERY early stages of my Nano (not actually wet, just dry rocks sitting in it...). It sounds like that is the piece of equipment I want along with the power strip.

Since the C4 is my plan for my main tank by the end of the year, I figured I would pull some knowledge about what I can do with the nano. The more you know...

Again, thank you!!

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Control 2 and Control 4 to work as a collective they have to have a wired buss connection with each other.

Can you elaborate more on that? I am unsure what you mean by "collective". As in for them to send WiFi to everything when the main control unit disconnects? Or to communicate?

The main interview guy (forget name) said that he had a C2 in his watermixing station in the garage. On the webpage, it looked as though it was showing up with the other C4s he had. Does that mean he had a cable running from his tank all the way into his garage?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I appreciate the detailed response! I have been doing a LOT of reading and watching, but still missed the Sense Port Module. I really appreciate it. I am in the VERY early stages of my Nano (not actually wet, just dry rocks sitting in it...). It sounds like that is the piece of equipment I want along with the power strip.

Since the C4 is my plan for my main tank by the end of the year, I figured I would pull some knowledge about what I can do with the nano. The more you know...

Again, thank you!!

Yea they showed and held it up in one of the videos. I think it was the Reefdudes videos. I am not sure it had a bus cable connection either so it might not run on a collective if that is of interest.. I am going to see if I can get more info on that sense port and a release time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you elaborate more on that? I am unsure what you mean by "collective". As in for them to send WiFi to everything when the main control unit disconnects? Or to communicate?

The main interview guy (forget name) said that he had a C2 in his watermixing station in the garage. On the webpage, it looked as though it was showing up with the other C4s he had. Does that mean he had a cable running from his tank all the way into his garage?

Basically you can get a bus cable that connect the Control units. In the app it allows them to look like one unit and they call it the collective. Through this cable they actually can share a power supply or you can get a cable that does just data. With just data you need two power supplies. There is a limit on the distance of the power to and at a certain distance you can only do data.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they make two types of cables one carries power and data and one is data only. I currently have an Archon and have a buss cable hooked between the tank and my garage. I will need a cable when I convert to the Hydros. I will be a happy camper if I can somehow use the cable I already have in place when I get that far replacing with the Hydros.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning towards purchasing one of these units . I need help deciding which one would fit my needs . I have a fusion 20 tank that has mighty jet dc pump ,circulating pump possible add on skimmer, ATO and inkbird heater. The lighting cannot be controlled by a controller so I’m not worried about that. If I want to put all this on my controller would I require a control 4? The other question I have is there a way to connect the mighty jet pump directly to the controller and do away with the mighty jet controller?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A collective is where the control devices act as a single entity and share the inputs and outputs between each other. Also WiFi control is controlled by one but if something happens to that one control unit it is transferred to one of the other control units. Hope this helps.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank from scratch and hydros controller looks like a good investment. I have a few noobs questions. I watched the video and read up on this topic but without experience with apex or related background i get a bit lost.

1. ATO functionality

Hydros have optical level sensor and ato pump. this is good. I want to have a secondary fail safe. I see that hydros can support float switch. Is this the type of float switch supported? See the pic attached? If yes, how do you wire it? if No, what type of float switch is supported by hydros?

I assume i can program the hydros to shut down the pump if the secondary sensor ( float switch) is trigger. Also, in the programming, is there an option to turn on the ato pump once a day for like 15min versus ON all the time depending on the sensor?

2. Temp Probe and heater control

This seems straight forward. I can use the hydros to turn off the heater if the temp exceed a preset temp. Is this correct? A direct replacement of inkbird controller?

3. 0-10V DC pump control.

I plan on getting the red dragon eco 5 pump. it have a 0-10V port. Can Hydros control this pump? I don't see any red dragon specific connector. Hydros have a 4 port 0-10v cable. Is this all i need?
Similar for Nero 5, what connector i need?

4. salinity probe? Is this supported?

Thanks in advance

Capture.PNG

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just watched an interview from Reef Automation and now I understand the "collective" thing a lot more.

They (CoralVue) also mentioned that they don't suggest connecting multiple tanks to one collective. That solves that.

So, ignore the whole "share wifi" portion of my questions.

Thanks again to everyone.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just watched an interview from Reef Automation and now I understand the "collective" thing a lot more.

They (CoralVue) also mentioned that they don't suggest connecting multiple tanks to one collective. That solves that.

So, ignore the whole "share wifi" portion of my questions.

Thanks again to everyone.
Two tanks should not be an issue. Especially if one is a smaller tank. It would be a little DIY but you can pass signals between collectives if needed. I plan on doing this with my Archon to begin with. I plan on controlling everything in my garage with a Hydros collective and keep the Archon at the tank. Since all ATO, AWC and dosing pumps are in my garage I will need to give the Hydros a signal form the the tank that it needs to dose DI and also if there is an issue that requires a halt of dosing,ATO or AWC. I may keep that in place when I eventually replace the Archon since I do have plans to add another tank in the future.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank from scratch and hydros controller looks like a good investment. I have a few noobs questions. I watched the video and read up on this topic but without experience with apex or related background i get a bit lost.

1. ATO functionality

Hydros have optical level sensor and ato pump. this is good. I want to have a secondary fail safe. I see that hydros can support float switch. Is this the type of float switch supported? See the pic attached? If yes, how do you wire it? if No, what type of float switch is supported by hydros?

I assume i can program the hydros to shut down the pump if the secondary sensor ( float switch) is trigger. Also, in the programming, is there an option to turn on the ato pump once a day for like 15min versus ON all the time depending on the sensor?

2. Temp Probe and heater control

This seems straight forward. I can use the hydros to turn off the heater if the temp exceed a preset temp. Is this correct? A direct replacement of inkbird controller?

I plan on getting the red dragon eco 5 pump. it have a 0-10V port. Can Hydros control this pump? I don't see any red dragon specific connector. Hydros have a 4 port 0-10v cable. Is this all i need?

4. salinity probe? Is this supported?

Thanks in advance

Capture.PNG
1. You can add a second optical sensor to do what you want.

2. Alway have a second control for your heaters. You can use a heater with it own internal control and set it a couple degrees higher than what you set the controller for.

3. The wave engine is for controlling pumps. I am not sure if it will control the one you have or not. Hopefully someone will reply one way or the other.

4. The salinity option is not yet ready. They plan on using a different type other than the normal probe that is currently used by others.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. The wave engine is for controlling pumps. I am not sure if it will control the one you have or not. Hopefully someone will reply one way or the other.

So Hydros Control cannot control pumps? I'm confused. What is the 0-10V port on the Control 4 is for? Their website clearly say it can use to control variable speed pump.

Capture.PNG

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Hydros Control cannot control pumps? I'm confused. What is the 0-10V port on the Control 4 is for? Their website clearly say it can use to control variable speed pump.

Capture.PNG

Different understandings of work “control”.

The wave engine both provides power AND precise fancy control of pumps. So the WE power brick replaces your pumps existing one.

The control4 can only control basic pumps or lights that have a 0-10v input. Mostly return pumps such as reef octopus Varios or Jebao DCA, or the occasional powerhead that has 0-10v input such as the icecap gyre. Control is more limited; you don’t get those fancy graphs and patterns using 0-10v. Just adjust speed, or trigger a feed mode, etc.

0-10v is also a common way to control lighting.See kessil or reefbreeders fixtures

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can put a power strip on the other end of your house as long as your wifi can reach there. I replaced couple of my smart outlet strip with the hydros power strip for my freshwater tanks, so that I have one app to control all my aquariums.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Different understandings of work “control”.

The wave engine both provides power AND precise fancy control of pumps. So the WE power brick replaces your pumps existing one.

The control4 can only control basic pumps or lights that have a 0-10v input. Mostly return pumps such as reef octopus Varios or Jebao DCA, or the occasional powerhead that has 0-10v input such as the icecap gyre. Control is more limited; you don’t get those fancy graphs and patterns using 0-10v. Just adjust speed, or trigger a feed mode, etc.

0-10v is also a common way to control lighting.See kessil or reefbreeders fixtures

You know more than me on this..

He had asked:

Simple answer is yes it could correct. Both the Control and WE have 0-10v control.

Problem is having the correct cable. I do not believe they make one yet for the red dragons. He could request one maybe they would add one. Never hurts to ask. Cable should be able to be made easily and could easily be a DYI thing or a break out box. Is this correct @TheHarold ?

I am in the same boat with my Kessils. Different cable than the ones CV offers. Matter of fact I was going to ask this same question today in the beta forums.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know more than me on this..

He had asked:

Simple answer is yes it could correct. Both the Control and WE have 0-10v control.

Problem is having the correct cable. I do not believe they make one yet for the red dragons. He could request one maybe they would add one. Never hurts to ask. Cable should be able to be made easily and could easily be a DYI thing or a break out box. Is this correct @TheHarold ?

I am in the same boat with my Kessils. Different cable than the ones CV offers. Matter of fact I was going to ask this same question today in the beta forums.

Does their pump not use the standard stereo jack? If it does, link below to the WE cable. If not, would need to use/make an adapter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back