Hyper-Melanization?

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, I noticed a black spot on one of my Wyoming White clowns. I’ve been trying to do some research online on what it could possibly be. This morning I noticed that there’s a darker white area around the black spot. Can anyone confirm if this is Hyper-Melanization? I have a frogspawn, hammer, and RBTA, but I’ve never seen the clowns attempt to host any of them.
IMG_6514.JPG
IMG_6510.JPG
IMG_6503.JPG
IMG_6539.JPG
IMG_6541.JPG
IMG_6539.JPG

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen your clown being hosted by any of those, I would consider hyper-melanization to be out of the question here. Typically once a clown finds a host, it's in it 90% of the time. The simple fact you're not reporting that would lead me to believe something else is at play here.

How long have you had the clown?

What was the last livestock you added? When was it?

What's your stocking list?

OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't seen your clown being hosted by any of those, I would consider hyper-melanization to be out of the question here. Typically once a clown finds a host, it's in it 90% of the time. The simple fact you're not reporting that would lead me to believe something else is at play here.

How long have you had the clown?

What was the last livestock you added? When was it?

What's your stocking list?

I’ve had the pair of clowns for about 5 months now. I’ve been battling dinoflagellates for a few months now and I seem to have gotten rid of them, now I’m just battling Cyano. The last livestock I added was 3 trochus snails, 5 astrea snails and 3 red hermits to help clean up, this was 3 days ago. I started noticing the black spot two days ago and the white marks around the black spot this morning.

The tanks has been up for 8 months now. I have the two Wyoming Whites and 1 PJ Cardinal, other than the CUC I listed above, I have 1 other red hermit and 4 nassarius snails.

Corals - hammer, frogspawn, RBTA, GSP, duncan, and about 4 different types of zoa’s.

They’re both still acting and eating normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post pics in full whites?

I know it’s not the best clarity in the photos. I apologize. The first 4 pictures are the same fish from this morning. Since I got home, I noticed he’s only staying on one spot. He hasn’t really moved and it took it awhile to eat. The last 3 pictures are my other Wyoming white which seems to be developing the same spot. He’s more active right now.

IMG_6547.JPG
IMG_6548.JPG
IMG_6549.JPG
IMG_6570.JPG
IMG_6578.JPG
IMG_6579.JPG
IMG_6580.JPG

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2480.JPG
i noticed a similar spot on my clownfish the other day under the gill and the ripped fin yesterday. I was told it might be from the torch corals i have in my tank. My fish has had the spot for about a week or so but he still heats and such. The fin is from the dominant clown.. poor guy

OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for a few hours, I come back home and find him like this. Could the Cyano have anything to do with this??
IMG_6581.JPG
IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6583.JPG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bacterial infection for certain. How long have you had them?

Tankmates?

Sorry for your loss :(

OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bacterial infection for certain. How long have you had them?

Tankmates?

Sorry for your loss :(

I bought the pair a little over 5 months ago. It was just them and a PJ Cardinal. I can’t tell if the pj has it.

I’ve was battling dinoflagellates for awhile and I’ve seemed to get rid of them, now I’m going through Cyano. Could that be the cause? Anything I can do to help the other one?

I appreciate everyone’s help. Thank you.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the CUC of snails quarantined before adding them to the tank? Bacterial infections are usually secondary to something else, frequently like velvet which is rampant in the industry.

OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the CUC of snails quarantined before adding them to the tank? Bacterial infections are usually secondary to something else, frequently like velvet which is rampant in the industry.

Honestly, no. I wish I had the space to set up a QT tank. I hadn’t purchased any livestock in quite a while due to the dino and Cyano issue. The hermits and 1 of the astrea have died as well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was added recently?

Bacterial infections are coming in on many fish right now even in the absence of parasites it’s out of control!

OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was added recently?

Bacterial infections are coming in on many fish right now even in the absence of parasites it’s out of control!

On Saturday I added 5 trochus snails, 5 astrea snails and 3 red hermits. I siphoned out the Cyano on the sand and did a wc before drip acclimating the CUC. That evening 2 of the hermits died as well as 1 of the astrea snails. I would say about Saturday night I noticed the dark spots on the first clown that just passed away. This morning I wake up and noticed the spots have gotten darker. I get back home from work today and he’s dead.

OP
OP
M

MannyT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You write that you have battle Dino and cyano for a while. Any chemicals involved with that battle?

Sincerely Lasse

No chemicals. I’ve been following the dinoflagellates thread on R2R and going by their suggestions. I’ve only removed my media and additives, and began dosing PO4 and NO3. I test regular and maintain my PO4 at around .10 and NO3 around 5-10ppm. Once I began dosing, I started to grow Cyano and the Dino’s seemed to have been suppressed.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back