Hyposalinity and QT Query

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping some one could advise me on a tricky situation with Hyposalinity at present.

In short I hypoed my fowlr tank due to ich down to 1.009 for eight weeks. Two weeks in one of the Maroon Clownfish seemed to be struggling with hypo and so I removed her to a QT 1.012 and treated with CP instead. All visible ich cleared up within a few days both in QT and DT.

My puffer in the DT sadly displayed a bacterial infection (possibly due to low Sg) so moved him into the QT and treated with Waterlife Myxazin whilst also running CP, I was advised I can run both side by side, this seems to be working.

My concern is now how to go about introducing the puffer back to the DT as it was removed four weeks into hypo - and introduced into the QT (non hypo) in the last week of CP treatment for the clown.

I guess my question is after four weeks of hypo in the DT could the puffer still be carrying ich when it was transfered to the QT and by doing so do I need to fully retreat the QT with CP for the puffer and the Clownfish in there?

When you apply hypo how long before the parasite actually fully leaves the fish - appreciate the tank is 6-8 weeks.

Apologies if it sounds confusing but just want to avoid ich being taken back from QT to DT after what appears to be a really successful hypo.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set period of time to run hyposalinity, only guidelines. I have found that fish should remain in hyposalinity for 30 days beyond the date that obvious disease symptoms were last seen. Neobenedenia treatments are best to run for 35 days. I also like to hold those fish for 14 days beyond that with no treatments, just to watch for any relapse.

Jay

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set period of time to run hyposalinity, only guidelines. I have found that fish should remain in hyposalinity for 30 days beyond the date that obvious disease symptoms were last seen. Neobenedenia treatments are best to run for 35 days. I also like to hold those fish for 14 days beyond that with no treatments, just to watch for any relapse.

Jay
Thanks for the reply.

I think the safest and less stressful option is going to be complete the CP and Myxazin with both fishes in the QT - planned for early next week. Then remove all meds and run observation for a month or so in the QT, hopefully I will then be able to see if ich makes a reappearance.

Would you say 1.017sg is enough to ensure if ich remains it can spread and become visable again and is a month ok for observation purposes for ich to ensure no reoccurrence?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I think the safest and less stressful option is going to be complete the CP and Myxazin with both fishes in the QT - planned for early next week. Then remove all meds and run observation for a month or so in the QT, hopefully I will then be able to see if ich makes a reappearance.

Would you say 1.017sg is enough to ensure if ich remains it can spread and become visable again and is a month ok for observation purposes for ich to ensure no reoccurrence?

I would raise the SG to at least 1.020. A month is more time than you probably need, but longer is always going to be safer.

Jay

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would raise the SG to at least 1.020. A month is more time than you probably need, but longer is always going to be safer.

Jay
Thanks Jay, will very slowly raise the level and observe from there.

I also wish to express my thanks to you personally for taking the time to assist me with my first ich outbreak. Your advice has saved the lives of all my tank inhabitants and I've also gained a vast amount of knowledge along the way. Cheers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back