hyposalinity powder blue tang

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added my powder blue tang to hypo salinity the other day along with a brittle tooth , tomato clown, blue tang and the powder blue has been in hypo for 3 days now the first day he ate but now hes not eating and always hiding but when he was in the display anytime i dropped food he would eat it no matter if 20 times a day and eat it aggressively along with anytime i added nori but in the qt he stopped eating both nori and pellets and always hiding other fish are all eating , i did hypo on him becuase he had strong black ick and whitespot
any tips on what can i do
salinity is at 1.009 in qt where all the fish are in

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added my powder blue tang to hypo salinity the other day along with a brittle tooth , tomato clown, blue tang and the powder blue has been in hypo for 3 days now the first day he ate but now hes not eating and always hiding but when he was in the display anytime i dropped food he would eat it no matter if 20 times a day and eat it aggressively along with anytime i added nori but in the qt he stopped eating both nori and pellets and always hiding other fish are all eating , i did hypo on him becuase he had strong black ick and whitespot
any tips on what can i do
salinity is at 1.009 in qt where all the fish are in

Can you post a short video?
When you say you added the tang to hypo, how did you do that? Was the tank already at 1.009?
Have you tested the water parameters, including ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you added the tang to hypo, how did you do that? Was the tank already at 1.009?

Jay
i added him before 3 days and as recommended by my lfs to put him right away in the hypo to shock any worms etc, yes the tank was already at 1.009, no amonia, all the ofher fish including 2 other tangs ( blue hippo , brittletooth) are doing fine and eating like monster expect the powder blue he used to eat like a beast alage sheets and pellets and now hes ignoring both.
please i truly dont want to lose that fish
and tips or anything i would truly appreciate it
thankyou

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added him before 3 days and as recommended by my lfs to put him right away in the hypo to shock any worms etc, yes the tank was already at 1.009, no amonia, all the ofher fish including 2 other tangs ( blue hippo , brittletooth) are doing fine and eating like monster expect the powder blue he used to eat like a beast alage sheets and pellets and now hes ignoring both.
please i truly dont want to lose that fish
and tips or anything i would truly appreciate it
thankyou

Attachments

• 66447093584__71638AAC-37CD-465E-BD95-EF25198C1A48.MOV
    715.4 KB
OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 96
OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
found him this morning like this

Attachments

• F7409E86-941D-4321-AA62-EE664B2585FF.jpeg
    F7409E86-941D-4321-AA62-EE664B2585FF.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 5269D31F-FB3B-43BD-8BD7-20DCC71D44EB.jpeg
    5269D31F-FB3B-43BD-8BD7-20DCC71D44EB.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 102

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found him this morning like this

Sorry to hear. I see that you added the fish directly to 1.009. While fish can handle a drop in salinity better than they can a rise, I usually take two to three days to go from full salinity to 1.009, in gradual steps. I do not see any benefit from "shocking" the fish by dropping it all at once like that. In fact, one problem that we see with freshwater dips (the same sort of thing) is if the fish has a bad fluke infection, the chock causes all of the flukes to fall off at the same time and the fish bleeds to death through all of the suddenly opened holes where the flukes were. See the spots on your fish? Those are likely sites where flukes or other parasites were.....

Jay

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I see that you added the fish directly to 1.009. While fish can handle a drop in salinity better than they can a rise, I usually take two to three days to go from full salinity to 1.009, in gradual steps. I do not see any benefit from "shocking" the fish by dropping it all at once like that. In fact, one problem that we see with freshwater dips (the same sort of thing) is if the fish has a bad fluke infection, the chock causes all of the flukes to fall off at the same time and the fish bleeds to death through all of the suddenly opened holes where the flukes were. See the spots on your fish? Those are likely sites where flukes or other parasites were.....

Jay
the only thing that made me want to put that fish that day cz in the display he was looking bad full of black ich and white spot on his fins so it was either now or never but i have other fish in the tank blue hippo ,tomato clownfish and brittletooth tang and all of them are doing well and eating i just dont understand way hypo didnt altleast realse some of its pain and made it worse then better i didn't expect a full recovery from the first week but i was atleast expecting some kind of relief, hes still breating but unside down and its killing me to see him like this, any tips for next time somthing like this happens what exactly should i do and how if you can help me i would truly appreciate it becuase i am a person who learns from my mistakes and i honestly dont want to see another fish go through this with me.
thankyou jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing that made me want to put that fish that day cz in the display he was looking bad full of black ich and white spot on his fins so it was either now or never but i have other fish in the tank blue hippo ,tomato clownfish and brittletooth tang and all of them are doing well and eating i just dont understand way hypo didnt altleast realse some of its pain and made it worse then better i didn't expect a full recovery from the first week but i was atleast expecting some kind of relief, hes still breating but unside down and its killing me to see him like this, any tips for next time somthing like this happens what exactly should i do and how if you can help me i would truly appreciate it becuase i am a person who learns from my mistakes and i honestly dont want to see another fish go through this with me.
thankyou jay
Sorry. I see a typo in my response chock=schock.
Next time, try to adjust the salinity of the tank the fish is going into, to be closer to what the fish was in when you bought it. I try not to acclimate a fish by floating the bag and mixing water if the specific gravity is further than .003 SG units apart. So: 1.020 to 1.023 for example. I’m this case, the fish was exposed to a change that was probably .010 or more different. Still, the spots on the fish indicates it probably had severe skin parasites when you got it - each of those discolored spots were a point where a parasite was attached. This could have made things much worse.
Jay

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I see a typo in my response chock=schock.
Next time, try to adjust the salinity of the tank the fish is going into, to be closer to what the fish was in when you bought it. I try not to acclimate a fish by floating the bag and mixing water if the specific gravity is further than .003 SG units apart. So: 1.020 to 1.023 for example. I’m this case, the fish was exposed to a change that was probably .010 or more different. Still, the spots on the fish indicates it probably had severe skin parasites when you got it - each of those discolored spots were a point where a parasite was attached. This could have made things much worse.
Jay
it got so much better this moring its swimming fine but on the surface and still not eating i just cant wrap my head around my happy i am to see her doing better last night she was technically dead but this morning i saw her up right and swimming fine tried giving food she didn't accept any tips to get her back to her health

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 57

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it got so much better this moring its swimming fine but on the surface and still not eating i just cant wrap my head around my happy i am to see her doing better last night she was technically dead but this morning i saw her up right and swimming fine tried giving food she didn't accept any tips to get her back to her health
The pictures are not in focus, but its eyes still look cloudy. Could be flukes...one way to control them is to acclimated the fish to hyposalinity and hold it there for 35 days. This helps with ich as well. Just take 2 to 3 days to get the salinity down.

Jay

OP
OP
F

FAHADREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are not in focus, but its eyes still look cloudy. Could be flukes...one way to control them is to acclimated the fish to hyposalinity and hold it there for 35 days. This helps with ich as well. Just take 2 to 3 days to get the salinity down.

Jay
the fish is in hypo and was when all of this happened, now she seems better but i just want tips to get her back to her full health and get her eating.
thankyou so much jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back