Hyposalinity Quarantine

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days of hypo and then 2 weeks of raising the salinity is 6 weeks of salt content being below ideal. Since I have FOWLR I normally keep my salinity at 1.020. This means also I can get it up to that level in 1 wk vs 2. IMO the fish seem to really enjoy the salinity at 1.020 vs .025 or 26.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lesson in all of this....most are quick to point out that hypo is tolerated well by fish. After doing it i have to say that the tolerance is not quite as easy as thought. I, and many, many have lost fish during the hypo process. You also have to work through secondary bacterial infections which seem to pop up. As an example my YT with septicemia. SOme say by the time red blotches are numerous its too late and fish will perish. I’m giving it a shot by improving water quality and dosing pellet food with nanoplex and metro. The point is that hypo is a bit tough on fish, more than I understood when starting the 30 day treatment. Lets hope I can get the YT through and dont lose anymore fish.....

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lesson in all of this....most are quick to point out that hypo is tolerated well by fish. After doing it i have to say that the tolerance is not quite as easy as thought. I, and many, many have lost fish during the hypo process. You also have to work through secondary bacterial infections which seem to pop up. As an example my YT with septicemia. SOme say by the time red blotches are numerous its too late and fish will perish. I’m giving it a shot by improving water quality and dosing pellet food with nanoplex and metro. The point is that hypo is a bit tough on fish, more than I understood when starting the 30 day treatment. Lets hope I can get the YT through and dont lose anymore fish.....
Well said...I couldn't have said it any better honestly! Thank you!

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said...I couldn't have said it any better honestly! Thank you!
Thanks to you! It really needed to be said as we should be aware of the consequences and perhaps take more precautions when using what many say is easy on the fish...it’s not especially for the suggested 30 days... And then of course the journey back to normal salinity... some people even suggest 30 days after the last spot is seen Resulting in many more days then 30! I’ve learned....and will tone down those who state that fish easily tolerate hypo four 30+ days......GOOD LUCK!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back