Status
Not open for further replies.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this hobby but it sucks. For the last few weeks I’ve really been debating selling it all. I lost a tang today and that’s it.
52DE9C9B-B3F8-4776-A717-ECF955D9C2A6.jpeg

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tang and I’ve had her for a few months and she’s really been a great fish and she was stuck to the powerhead intake. I’m sixteen and in highschool and it’s just getting to be too much stress. I’ve had five power outages in two years since moving here and getting an aquarium and that’s enough of a bet on its own. Plus equipment is so much money I’ve barely scraped by with equipment this far. I can’t get an RODI system. I have insane amounts of hair algae and everything I do to fix it fails!!! I’m ticked and I’m probably gonna try n sell everything.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles! This is a wonderful hobby and I’m just getting into it, hopefully it will all work out well for me. If you decide to return in the future, we’ll be here for you. Good luck! I’m not all that much older than you. Turned 24 last month. You’re only 16. Plenty of time for you to get back in the future and we may well have significant advancements that’ll allow us to keep more stuff. Blue Tangs aren’t the easiest fish to keep. Maybe stick to some easy fish and corals and inverts and see if it works better for you.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles! This is a wonderful hobby and I’m just getting into it, hopefully it will all work out well for me. If you decide to return in the future, we’ll be here for you. Good luck!
Good luck to you too

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word of advice from someone who left the hobby a few years ago and then came back... Don’t sell any of your stuff! Keep it all in storage somewhere so that when you decide to take it up again, which you probably will at least you won’t have to buy everything all over again.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not all that much older than you. Turned 24 last month.
I hope it works for you, being a bit older probably helps a bit. I’m just tired of dealing with the lack of funding, time, and stress from it all. I’ll definitely probably get one when I’m older but for now I’m gonna pass.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I definitely understand how it feels. I got a reef tank when I was in high school and had to work hard to be able to afford the equipment and livestock. Now, I’m in college and my tank is doing well! :) Hope you will come back to the hobby in the future. Good luck and we will be waiting for you!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A word of advice from someone who left the hobby a few years ago and then came back... Don’t sell any of your stuff! Keep it all in storage somewhere so that when you decide to take it up again, which you probably will at least you won’t have to buy everything all over again.
Most of the things I have aren’t that expensive it’s definitely a budget tank. I’m honestly considering using the money from it all for a car... so I might sell all of it.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely understand how it feels. I got a reef tank when I was in high school and had to work hard to be able to afford the equipment and livestock. Now, I’m in college and my tank is doing well! :) Hope you will come back to the hobby in the future. Good luck and we will be waiting for you!
I’ll most likely be back. I’m debating making this a Jelly tank after I sell all the livestock.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s rough to start out at first.. I was about 16 when I started my first tank.. had to break it down after high school.. still had a passion for it and learned a lot after to start my second tank.. which was successful.. now on my most recent build Feb 2020 and it’s been going great learned so much over the years from own personal experiences and builds..

you’ll come back when your ready

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes time; but it’s worth it. I remember keeping an Ocellaris in a goldfish bowl after seeing Finding Nemo as a 9-year old. Looking back, I’m surprised the little guy made it for a week. Not proud of it. Over the years, other priorities, life etc. made me put this hobby at the back of my mind. Now, I’m really gonna go for it.

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you feel this way. We all have setbacks and bad reef times unfortunately.
I just turned 20 so I can relate to your situation pretty well I think. I don't have a lot money to spend either since I'm in college right now. The thing I did was save for a few years before starting the reefing journey. That gave me the opportunity to buy a bit better equipment which makes life much easier!

I hope you won't give up on the hobby, but it's your call obviously. If you don't get satisfaction from your tank while making an effort I completely understand you want to stop. Hopefully you will return to this amazing hobby in the future and let the R2R community help you get the most out of it! :)

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you feel this way. We all have setbacks and bad reef times unfortunately.
I just turned 20 so I can relate to your situation pretty well I think. I don't have a lot money to spend either since I'm in college right now. The thing I did was save for a few years before starting the reefing journey. That gave me the opportunity to buy a bit better equipment which makes life much easier!

I hope you won't give up on the hobby, but it's your call obviously. If you don't get satisfaction from your tank while making an effort I completely understand you want to stop. Hopefully you will return to this amazing hobby in the future and let the R2R community help you get the most out of it! :)
Yeah, I’m probably gonna save up for a car with everything I sell. I’m debating on keeping the tank for jellyfish or a vivarium with turtles.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the new tank struggles... I do... first tank was when I was 8! Tough to pay for gear then! LOL

This hobby will throw you challenges all the time, but its how you attack those head on. I hope you attempt to give this hobby another shot. Here maybe these can help and I can inspire you to chug along!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the new tank struggles... I do... first tank was when I was 8! Tough to pay for gear then! LOL

This hobby will throw you challenges all the time, but its how you attack those head on. I hope you attempt to give this hobby another shot. Here maybe these can help and I can inspire you to chug along!

Nah, it’s over. For now I’m done. I give all my cash and get nothing in return. I think it’s time I get rid of it all and save up for a car then mortuary school as those things are far more important and necessary. Maybe I’ll get a turtle or some simple pet instead.

Last edited:

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in almost the exact same position as you, and I totally understand how you feel. I’m 15 and don’t have a job, so I buy my livestock and equipment on a tight budget of what money I get for Christmas or my birthday. It’s really tough, but I don’t think I would be happy without my tank, even though it has algae problems. I love this hobby, and I hate to see you go, but if you’re not enjoying it, then it might be the right decision to leave. Good luck with whatever you do!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, it’s over. For now I’m done. I give all my cash and get nothing in return. I think it’s time I get rid of it all and save up for a car then mortuary school as those things are far more important and necessary. Maybe I’ll get a turtle or some simple pet instead.
Tortoises are great and very easy to maintain! I love my redfoot female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back