Status
Not open for further replies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear Anyone go no matter what the circumstance.
This hobby is worth it in the long run and can be challenging to the most experience right to the novice.
If I calculated my losses in the last 32 years, I could by a fully stocked 1200 gallon tank but i'm still here.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Anyone go no matter what the circumstance.
This hobby is worth it in the long run and can be challenging to the most experience right to the novice.
If I calculated my losses in the last 32 years, I could by a fully stocked 1200 gallon tank but i'm still here.
Which I totally get, but the bad outweighs the good and these fish and coral give me nothing back. If it’s become such a vacuum I think it’s better I go without. Every cent I get goes to that tank and I’m tired of it being a one way ticket. I’ve been in the hobby for almost two years and it’s making me weary.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think you're making a smart decision. Don't be down about it, IMO this hobby isn't cut out for teenagers unless their parents are taking an active roll with spending on equipment and lending a hand with maintaining the tank. You have a lot of more important things going on in your life for the next 7 years that need your full attention.

Also this experience won't be wasted either, you will have the knowledge you gained from this time with the tank that you will apply to the next setup when you're done with higher learning and have the means and time to invest in it.

One thing I would suggest is try not to sell everything if you can. Think about the equipment you won't get much back for, or the things you really like and try to store those for the future. Will be nice to have a few things around that will jog your memory of this time with the tank, and it just feels good finding old equip that you can put back in use. Good luck with mortuary school, a close friend of mine did the same thing and he has been very successful.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine trying to support this hobby without a full time job. Heck, it's hard to support this hobby sometimes WITH a full time job. Don't be hard on yourself and hopefully you are able to return to reefing at a later time in your life! Take care!

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which I totally get, but the bad outweighs the good and these fish and coral give me nothing back. If it’s become such a vacuum I think it’s better I go without. Every cent I get goes to that tank and I’m tired of it being a one way ticket. I’ve been in the hobby for almost two years and it’s making me weary.
#allmymoneygoestocorals unfortunately that's the nature of this beast.

Do what feels right to you. The hobby is not going to vanish, so you can always take it up again later should you wish.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant even imagine trying to setup a reef tank at 16 with the current costs of everything....my first attempts at saltwater were a little younger than you...a free plastic 10 gallon, spare hob filter off freshwater tank...natural sea water and baitfish out of the canal behind my house...so basically zero investment...50 years later i still cant afford to do this right....sometimes i think this is more of an addiction than a hobby...switch over to fresh water its a LOT less demanding...and a reef tank isnt really something you want to leave in the care of a clueless parent if you leave for college for 4 (or more) years....my buddy's moms red ear slider lived for 45 years so be aware that a turtle is a long term commitment...and you really need to clean the tank every week even with a filter...and they should be in at least a 75 as a female will get dang near a foot long in 5 yrs

Last edited:

halfmoon61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started around that age, 30 gal long, still have the tank. Find a local club, go to some frag swaps, there is always an "old salt" that is willing to help out. Maybe some used equipment or could just be knowledge. I know 40 yrs later I'm staring at a tank as I type this.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some more research. I had a green hair algae outbreak. First I bought a ton of snails. They at it all in a week. I was amazed. Then I reasearched parameters and that helped. I lost a hippo tang years ago. Very hard to keep imo especially for newer hobbyists. I wouldn’t give up. My first tank back in the game this year got velvet and I lost all my fish. I learned the hard way but now I’m stronger than ever doing things right

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, it’s over. For now I’m done. I give all my cash and get nothing in return. I think it’s time I get rid of it all and save up for a car then mortuary school as those things are far more important and necessary. Maybe I’ll get a turtle or some simple pet instead.
Don't get a turtle. I've got a Red Eared slider that I've had for 25 years. Don't get a bird either. I've got a Dusky Headed conure that I've had for 28 years.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you can have better luck next time when you can afford the equipment that you need. my only advice is you might want to re-think that mortuary school. You're gonna wind up working with some very boring people.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think you're making a smart decision. Don't be down about it, IMO this hobby isn't cut out for teenagers unless their parents are taking an active roll with spending on equipment and lending a hand with maintaining the tank. You have a lot of more important things going on in your life for the next 7 years that need your full attention.

Also this experience won't be wasted either, you will have the knowledge you gained from this time with the tank that you will apply to the next setup when you're done with higher learning and have the means and time to invest in it.

One thing I would suggest is try not to sell everything if you can. Think about the equipment you won't get much back for, or the things you really like and try to store those for the future. Will be nice to have a few things around that will jog your memory of this time with the tank, and it just feels good finding old equip that you can put back in use. Good luck with mortuary school, a close friend of mine did the same thing and he has been very successful.
Thank you, I really appreciate it

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine trying to support this hobby without a full time job. Heck, it's hard to support this hobby sometimes WITH a full time job. Don't be hard on yourself and hopefully you are able to return to reefing at a later time in your life! Take care!
Thank you!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant even imagine trying to setup a reef tank at 16 with the current costs of everything....my first attempts at saltwater were a little younger than you...a free plastic 10 gallon, spare hob filter off freshwater tank...natural sea water and baitfish out of the canal behind my house...so basically zero investment...50 years later i still cant afford to do this right....sometimes i think this is more of an addiction than a hobby...switch over to fresh water its a LOT less demanding...and a reef tank isnt really something you want to leave in the care of a clueless parent if you leave for college for 4 (or more) years....my buddy's moms red ear slider lived for 45 years so be aware that a turtle is a long term commitment...and you really need to clean the tank every week even with a filter...and they should be in at least a 75 as a female will get dang near a foot long in 5 yrs
I’ve kept a turtle before when I was younger and it did great. I know I could care for a turtle or tortoise MUCH easier than a reef aquarium. Plus a friend has a turtle they don’t want and it’ll be housed at school just it’ll be my job to care for. I’m thinking after I sell my coral and such (No idea how that’ll work) then I’ll make a vivarium for a turtle or tortoise in my forty gallon.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the heads up though I really appreciate the care

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get a turtle. I've got a Red Eared slider that I've had for 25 years. Don't get a bird either. I've got a Dusky Headed conure that I've had for 28 years.
I’ve had both animals before, absolutely loved them, so much less time consuming.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you can have better luck next time when you can afford the equipment that you need. my only advice is you might want to re-think that mortuary school. You're gonna wind up working with some very boring people.
I know what I want to do, and the Death Industry is it. And I personally disagree, the only boring people are the deceased, but even they teach a lot of things, especially things the living couldn’t teach you. Most of the people I’ve met in the Death Industry are far more interesting than everyday ones.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all being said, is there any way you guys recommend selling my livestock? I wouldn’t like to ship it out, that’ll make me loose even more money.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry to see you go,would sell as a package,not to deal w piecing it out and being stuck w 100 calls ;) :(
best wishes on your next venture,see ya back here soon enough;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back