I’m new to this I use Pacific Ocean water to start tank my anemone deflates and inflates randomly I was told that’s normal I have some tiny hermits

dopierfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to this I use Pacific Ocean water to start tank my anemone deflates and inflates randomly I was told that’s normal I have some tiny hermits for clean up crew have two clowns a Kenya tree and a green bubble top anemone I have brown algae that keeps building up way to fast is it bad if so what can I do to counter it if it’s not bad I’m not worried about appearance as long as my guys are happy

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m new to this I use Pacific Ocean water to start tank my anemone deflates and inflates randomly I was told that’s normal I have some tiny hermits for clean up crew have two clowns a Kenya tree and a green bubble top anemone I have brown algae that keeps building up way to fast is it bad if so what can I do to counter it if it’s not bad I’m not worried about appearance as long as my guys are happy

image.jpg
Anemones respond/ react to changes in chemistry, even with water changes as well as light and water flow. Often this also occurs when the tank is new and also subject to chemistry changes.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo!
It seems like you were into freshwater tanks. I recognize that substrate and the fact you are using a sponge filter which is quite foreign in saltwater.

As the post above hints, you would need to be sure of the parameters you are keeping your livestock in.

OP
OP
D

dopierfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
Heyo!
It seems like you were into freshwater tanks. I recognize that substrate and the fact you are using a sponge filter which is quite foreign in saltwater.

As the post above hints, you would need to be sure of the parameters you are keeping your livestock in.
The substrate is for saltwater the sponge filter is definitely something I use in my freash water tanks I hadn’t found much info on it but I’ve removed it and added a floval power head today so I’ll keep y’all updated I’ve also added some astrea snails today to help with cleanup so hopefully my tank has a good turnaround

OP
OP
D

dopierfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a lot more live rock. It’s your main form of filtration in a saltwater setup.
That’s what all the rock in the bottom is and I got the one big piece the anemone is on in the picture the substrate is also made of aragonite how full should my tank be of it I thought it was pretty packed already but like I said I’m new

OP
OP
D

dopierfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably need more circulation for the tank. Also, what light are you using. Bubble tip anemones need a high level of light.
It’s the coral life mini idk how good it is but from videos I was watching multiple people said it’s the best for a 10 gal reef tank

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what all the rock in the bottom is and I got the one big piece the anemone is on in the picture the substrate is also made of aragonite how full should my tank be of it I thought it was pretty packed already but like I said I’m new
1lb of rock per gallon is what I’ve heard as a general reference.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your other threads here is some questions,
1. How long has tank been running?
2. How did you cycle? Ammonia dosing, bacteria in a bottle, live critters, using live rock/live sand and if live from bag or someones tank?
3. What do you have in your hang on back filter?
4. What is the numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
5. You had an anemone appear to be dieing in another thread, did you remove it?
6. All eqquipment in use.
This will help alot more to narrow down. These are basic questions to help us understand the tank and get to know it more. Sorry for lots of questions but it will help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back