I’m not sure I buy the 72 day ich claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to receive "backlash" when you come here and tell us that we are wrong in our opinions and practices.

You can interpret the data and case studies all you want but you are no more "right" than others who have loads of experience and continue to do what clearly works for them.

There are very few absolutes in this hobby and until there is a way to test a tank for a parasite's presence, it's still guess work.

You've been here a couple of months and we are all guests on this platform, here to share ideas and experiences. We shouldn't be going around telling others they have bad information.

Go ahead and stop your fallow period right this very second, add your fish to the tank that previously housed your Crpyto and then report honestly to us on what happens within the next 2 weeks, the next few months. Be sure that your fish are stressed out to weaken them which would allow the parasites to take hold, if present. If you have no indications of Crypto then you have your own experience that a fallow period of 40 some days worked FOR YOU. That may not be a repeatable occurrence for others. They're your fish, lives that you are there to protect and consider valuable, correct?

I'm building a business based on tried and true quarantine practices and even I know I can't guarantee a 100% success rate at 76 days but I'm good with an estimated 99% efficacy rate.

Have an open mind, dude.

-Dan
It's one thing to tell people you think is best practice. It is quite another to tell people something based on a study that is not being used correctly. Not that hard to see, not sure why you're so upset about that. Yeah I've been here a few months, but I've had saltwater fish for decades.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to receive "backlash" when you come here and tell us that we are wrong in our opinions and practices.

You can interpret the data and case studies all you want but you are no more "right" than others who have loads of experience and continue to do what clearly works for them.

There are very few absolutes in this hobby and until there is a way to test a tank for a parasite's presence, it's still guess work.

You've been here a couple of months and we are all guests on this platform, here to share ideas and experiences. We shouldn't be going around telling others they have bad information.

Go ahead and stop your fallow period right this very second, add your fish to the tank that previously housed your Crpyto and then report honestly to us on what happens within the next 2 weeks, the next few months. Be sure that your fish are stressed out to weaken them which would allow the parasites to take hold, if present. If you have no indications of Crypto then you have your own experience that a fallow period of 40 some days worked FOR YOU. That may not be a repeatable occurrence for others. They're your fish, lives that you are there to protect and consider valuable, correct?

I'm building a business based on tried and true quarantine practices and even I know I can't guarantee a 100% success rate at 76 days but I'm good with an estimated 99% efficacy rate.

Have an open mind, dude.

-Dan
I will come back with the final results. It has been 14 days since my 30 day copper treatment has ended. My lionfish has no whitespots to speak of. Although I cannot say for sure he is 100 percent ich free. He has shedded his mucus layer a few times so I am reluctant to say he is ich free. Also put a starfish in after 10 days quarantine because he started to die in quarantine. Ich may be back in the tank already but I will publish my results in a month or so.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-6 weeks from the paper cited in the above paper from Tim Fish. Also please read my response to Tim Fish on the 7-11 week quarantine under certain conditions.
Okay, I can admit when I am wrong. This is indeed a paper that has recommendations for our aquarium's temperature ranges, which could serve us better than a paper talking about a different temperature. I sincerely apologize, because yeah, you might be very right. Although interestingly, the suggestion of a maximum of 11 weeks is actually beyond 72 days, but that was not your point. Your point was 72 days was based on a study that has been superseded, and indeed that is true.

To be frank though, I have yet to read the study in detail, so I might find issues with it or something. But regardless, the fact is there is a study out there that could have been referenced instead of the 72 days or whatever at 69 degrees, so yes. I apologize.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will come back with the final results. It has been 14 days since my 30 day copper treatment has ended. My lionfish has no whitespots to speak of. Although I cannot say for sure he is 100 percent ich free. He has shedded his mucus layer a few times so I am reluctant to say he is ich free. Also put a starfish in after 10 days quarantine because he started to die in quarantine. Ich may be back in the tank already but I will publish my results in a month or so.
It's one thing to tell people you think is best practice. It is quite another to tell people something based on a study that is not being used correctly. Not that hard to see, not sure why you're so upset about that. Yeah I've been here a few months, but I've had saltwater fish for decades.

See, you are welcome to interpret your sources of information however you want. I do not blindly accept the words of others but I do absorb as much information as I can to lead me to a well informed decision on a given matter.

A 72-76 day fallow period is considered an "industry standard" of sorts but it is far from settled science. I apply this to all things wet within this hobby because Im not willing to open myself and my livestock to greater risk than necessary. Thousands of dollars and the lives of our marine creatures hang in the balance and I have a preference on reducing risk, remaining on the safe, sane, slow and conservative side. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby after all.

I am guided through life using this principal and you should consider changing your tone and your desire to call out other's opinions and practices on this matter as wrong or based on "bad information."

Good day to you.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I can admit when I am wrong. This is indeed a paper that has recommendations for our aquarium's temperature ranges, which could serve us better than a paper talking about a different temperature. I sincerely apologize, because yeah, you might be very right. Although interestingly, the suggestion of a maximum of 11 weeks is actually beyond 72 days, but that was not your point. Your point was 72 days was based on a study that has been superseded, and indeed that is true.

To be frank though, I have yet to read the study in detail, so I might find issues with it or something. But regardless, the fact is there is a study out there that could have been referenced instead of the 72 days or whatever at 69 degrees, so yes. I apologize.
I believe the 11 weeks is longer because can it take 72 days to be a free swimmer, so a little extra time is needed. If you find any relevant information. I may have been slightly aggressive when I mad the original post. But I was just frustrated by the information I was reading. My main goal was making sure I am not missing something before I pit the rock and cuc back in with my prized lionfish.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and its yet another to come in ranting about something being bad data/misinformation etc, but not providing any documentation to the contrary, or providing other data based suggestions. May I suggest a means of preventing expected backlash is to provide details/evidence to back up your contrarian statements? I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, but what you mostly have done is just call it a stupid guideline, and that's all, it benefits no one that much. Every link to any discussion/research that backs you up was provided by someone else.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the 11 weeks is longer because can it take 72 days to be a free swimmer, so a little extra time is needed. If you find any relevant information. I may have been slightly aggressive when I mad the original post. But I was just frustrated by the information I was reading. My main goal was making sure I am not missing something before I pit the rock and cuc back in with my prized lionfish.
I understand your frustration, it can be hard at times, especially in this hobby. At the same time, antagonizing others can make things worse and just cause things to head down the wrong road, as you noticed. I fully understand it was not your intention, and understand from both points of view (heck, I was caught up in it as well, which was very bad, and I can't apologize enough for it). Hopefully next time you would be able to cast aside the frustration when you make your original post, so that everyone can better understand where you are coming from (and also have supporting evidence like the study Tim Fish linked) and we can enter into a more civil discussion from the get go.

Anyways, no harm no foul, at least not with me. Thank you for dealing with my responses with civility. Not to say we will always agree, but at least it can be civil discourse. :D

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and its yet another to come in ranting about something being bad data/misinformation etc, but not providing any documentation to the contrary, or providing other data based suggestions. May I suggest a means of preventing expected backlash is to provide details/evidence to back up your contrarian statements? I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, but what you mostly have done is just call it a stupid guideline, and that's all, it benefits no one that much. Every link to any discussion/research that backs you up was provided by someone else.
The 72 days does come from a source not relevant to reefing. Nobody has been able to deny that so far. It is not exactly fair to get attacked for noticing that, I've read enough of these to see it coming. Not sure why I have to follow that conclusion up with the right answer. Although a pretty good answer was found in the discussion.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3-6 weeks also lines up with everything we think we know about the lifecyle of ich.

Operative phrase "we think we know" or maybe it should be "what you think you know". ;D What we do know is the life forms in our reef systems are adapting to survive under unnatural conditions. The geneticly unique aquarium adapted clone of Calurpa taxifolia that's taking over the mediterainian is an excellent example and one that's gotten world wide attention. We don't know what mutations have occured in the DNA of the aquarium adapted varieties of Cryptocaryion irritans, "ich", but it seems to me resonable mutations have occured that allow the parasite to survive better in our aquariums. Sure, you can argue the research doesn't support ich surviving 11 weeks (77 days) at the warmer temperatures our systems are kept. But you also do not have any research showing how the parasites have adapted to surviving longer in our systems, what new mutantions and variants are we dealing with. As I see it if an aquarist decides to use the fallow method to erradicate ich to be 100% sure a fallow period of 77 days should be used. As I mentioned in my previous post every aquarist has to determine their own risk/reward equation. If the frustration of watching fish suffocate in front of them after trying one of the medications that is only partially effective moves them to go fallow to be 100% sure they don't have ich in their system then going fallow 77 days will do it.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a couple studies done later than the one you mentioned specifically by Yambot
et al. 2003 and one in 1996 I believe. Although the information found isnt alot different from earlier studies. I think access to information is part of the disconnect with the aquarium trade half the studies seen online need to be bought if you don't have an institution login.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Operative phrase "we think we know" or maybe it should be "what you think you know". ;D What we do know is the life forms in our reef systems are adapting to survive under unnatural conditions. The geneticly unique aquarium adapted clone of Calurpa taxifolia that's taking over the mediterainian is an excellent example and one that's gotten world wide attention. We don't know what mutations have occured in the DNA of the aquarium adapted varieties of Cryptocaryion irritans, "ich", but it seems to me resonable mutations have occured that allow the parasite to survive better in our aquariums. Sure, you can argue the research doesn't support ich surviving 11 weeks (77 days) at the warmer temperatures our systems are kept. But you also do not have any research showing how the parasites have adapted to surviving longer in our systems, what new mutantions and variants are we dealing with. As I see it if an aquarist decides to use the fallow method to erradicate ich to be 100% sure a fallow period of 77 days should be used. As I mentioned in my previous post every aquarist has to determine their own risk/reward equation. If the frustration of watching fish suffocate in front of them after trying one of the medications that is only partially effective moves them to go fallow to be 100% sure they don't have ich in their system then going fallow 77 days will do it.
The study you posted shows 3-6 weeks and specifically cites normal aquarium temp for that period. Then says 7-11 weeks in certain circumstances. The paper talks about the 72 day study earlier in the paper. This lines up with certain circumstances needing 11 weeks. But anyway 3-6 weeks under normal circumstances in 75 degree plus water. You want to go fallow for 11 weeks, do it by all means. But don't tell people it's necessary without having a relevant study backing up the claim. And a study done in 68 degree water is not relevant when it has been documented clearly that ichs life cycle slows down with cold water.

The people on this forum really need to stop assuming everything they think they know is right and open their minds. I remember when I figured out 20 years ago water changes were not always needed. Went to the forums and every person on their crucified anybody who even brought up that notion. 20 years later I am still not doing water changes, and not a single issue.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see many people arguing to quarantine for 72 days because they site 1 specific study that showed a strain of ich was in the tomont stage for 72 days under quite cold conditions. These people argue to the death that there is a known strain of ich that needs 72 days. I argue there is NO such strain just because somebody got ich to live for 72 days in cold water. This is in no way relevant to reef keeping at 78 degrees, way no how. I am 45 days into quarantine because I am not positive I am right. But how could I be wrong? I am open to your thoughts but I’m about to end this insanely long quarantine. I have treated ich many times and copper always kills the ich in 14 days. And seeing as copper only kills the free swimmers, if there were this 72 day strain, I fail to see how copper would be so effective. I have seen as many false information claims on these forums as I have seen false claims in politics. I have to say, I don’t buy this one.
Cannot bear to spend the time necessary reading though this entire thread, so let me offer a few observations. 72 days is the generally accepted period of time its takes to eliminate ich from a tank by keeping it fallow (fish free). Has nothing to do with the amount of time it takes to actively treat an infection. You appear to be conflating two unrelated things.

Always amuses me when somebody drops in to essentially claim that their opinion somehow refutes everyone else’s. I have no idea whether 72 days is correct since I’ve never fallowed a tank. Ich can also behave idiosyncratically, so a data point of one is of no demonstrative value. Absent statistically significant data, an opinion is just an opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot bear to spend the time necessary reading though this entire thread, so let me offer a few observations. 72 days is the generally accepted period of time its takes to eliminate ich from a tank by keeping it fallow (fish free). Has nothing to do with the amount of time it takes to actively treat an infection. You appear to be conflating two unrelated things.

Always amuses me when somebody drops in to essentially claim that their opinion somehow refutes everyone else’s. I have no idea whether 72 days is correct since I’ve never fallowed a tank. Ich can also behave idiosyncratically, so a data point of one is of no demonstrative value. Absent statistically a significant data, an opinion is just an opinion.
We are talking fallow, that is what everybody says 72 days is. I have issued not 1 single opinion. I merely am stating that this length of time that everybody recommends is because of a study in cold water that is not relevant to our tanks. Yet it is preached as gospel. Unless new reasoning comes to light, this 72 days is based off of non relevant data. This is NOT an opinion, it is an observation. The 72 day claim that is a "standard", is misleading because of the reasoning of why it became the standard.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see many people arguing to quarantine for 72 days because they site 1 specific study that showed a strain of ich was in the tomont stage for 72 days under quite cold conditions. These people argue to the death that there is a known strain of ich that needs 72 days. I argue there is NO such strain just because somebody got ich to live for 72 days in cold water. This is in no way relevant to reef keeping at 78 degrees, way no how. I am 45 days into quarantine because I am not positive I am right. But how could I be wrong? I am open to your thoughts but I’m about to end this insanely long quarantine. I have treated ich many times and copper always kills the ich in 14 days. And seeing as copper only kills the free swimmers, if there were this 72 day strain, I fail to see how copper would be so effective. I have seen as many false information claims on these forums as I have seen false claims in politics. I have to say, I don’t buy this one.

I did fallow for 45 days at temp of 80.6. Ich has not returned.

Also copper treatment and 72 days fallow isn't related... copper only kills ich in free swimming stage. The 72 days has to do with the cyst and not the free swimming stage. Copper is done in a hospital environment so it is different. Treating fish is as short as 14 days (TTM or copper for 14 then transfer to new tank). We are not worried about cysts in this environment.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple opinions in your post, perhaps you should go back and read it ..... starting with the sentence that contains ‘NO’ LOL. I’m cool with opinions .... I’ve got plenty of them too.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When somebody comes to this forum
I did fallow for 45 days at 80.6. Ich has not returned.

Also copper and 72 days isn't related... copper only kills ich in free swimming stage. The 72 days has to do with the cyst and not the free swimming stage. Copper is done in a hospital environment so it is different.
Copper is not only done in a hospital environment. I have always done it in the main display but I don't keep coral. The copper poisons your tank forever argument is for another day but that is another topic I have found the information on forums to be incorrect on as I have done it many times. If ich lasted for months in a cyst, it should have reared its head after treatment, which has never happened in my experience.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire argument is in no way an opinion. And I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you quote one word, "no"? You have clearly missed the point I am making, so go troll somebody else.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When somebody comes to this forum

Copper is not only done in a hospital environment. I have always done it in the main display but I don't keep coral. The copper poisons your tank forever argument is for another day but that is another topic I have found the information on forums to be incorrect on as I have done it many times. If ich lasted for months in a cyst, it should have reared its head after treatment, which has never happened in my experience.

I never said it lasted months. I literally just said I did 45 day fallow and it appears successful.

Treating a DT with copper is at least 30 days, is it not? The 45 days is not bare minimum... from my understanding is is actually likely even longer than is needed but a good safe bet.

However, some people have had ich come back after fallow 76 days... so something failed. Maybe ich deep in anaerobic areas or fish were never cured or cross contamination but all we can do is speculate.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said it lasted months. I literally just said I did 45 day fallow and it appears successful.

Treating a DT with copper is at least 30 days, is it not? The 45 days is not bare minimum... from my understanding is is actually likely even longer than is needed but a good safe bet.

However, some people have had ich come back after fallow 76 days... so something failed. Maybe ich deep in anaerobic areas or fish were never cured or cross contamination but all we can do is speculate.
I am not arguing the 45 days you spoke of. Yes I have done 30 days of copper, also done 14 days. Ich can come back after 72 days fallow without it being in a cyst for that long. It could easily have been that the fish did not completely rid the ich during treatment because of many factors, then popped back up. That is more likely but impossible to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back