I’m running a 90g water gets warm help.

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 90g FOWLR and my water has been consistently 81-82 despite my room being 75. And I’m trying to figure out why. There are no heaters in the tank or sump. The tank has a full glass lid. A vectra s2 pump running at about 80%. And a 57w uv sterilizer. I thought it could be the sterilizer but after leaving it unplugged for a day my water temp only dropped 1 degree. My next though is maybe the vectra. It’s in a small space in the sump. Not a lot of water flow around it. The sump is kinda small at 18gallon. Not sure what it could be or maybe just a combination of the uv, pump and the lids?

My main concern is the temp for my fish. I’m not sure if they’re ok at that temp fir few months until my room temp drop a little more.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep remove the lid for a day and then check temp.
You can do a water change with cooler water. Fish won't care.
Try floating some bags of ice in the sump to cool it down a bit. I used to do that often in the summer before we fixed the ac.
My tank ran that warm for weeks and the fish were just fine.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running t5s or a halide? I know fish only but some may still use. Both add heat. Pumps add quite a bit of heat especually if water level is to low or not sized correctly for tank. Wave makers and circulation pumps as well. Any electronic equipment in the water will increase temp.

Could even be something as simple as the room its in or other electronic devices in room. My room office gets up to 78 sometimes. 80 if I forget the monthly maintenance and A/c drain clog. I keep house at 73. So if you have tank next to computer or other device running alot that can increase as well.

If you it is pump look gor another option. Sometimes adding an air pump can help cool water as well. Removing lid as others to allow evaporation but will need to top off more.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably your oversized UV at minimum flow rate. Run it at night 12 hours on automation.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running t5s or a halide? I know fish only but some may still use. Both add heat. Pumps add quite a bit of heat especually if water level is to low or not sized correctly for tank. Wave makers and circulation pumps as well. Any electronic equipment in the water will increase temp.

Could even be something as simple as the room its in or other electronic devices in room. My room office gets up to 78 sometimes. 80 if I forget the monthly maintenance and A/c drain clog. I keep house at 73. So if you have tank next to computer or other device running alot that can increase as well.

If you it is pump look gor another option. Sometimes adding an air pump can help cool water as well. Removing lid as others to allow evaporation but will need to top off more.
I'm with Ben on this one, what kind of lights do you have running on this? (I may have missed it noted)

OP
OP
Warpigdave

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Ben on this one, what kind of lights do you have running on this? (I may have missed it noted)
I’m running a fluval marine strip light. I recently added a fan to the sump. Helped a lot.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine strip shouldnt do that.
If you have heater in tank could it be set wrong or malfunctioning? Many people have had this happen.

If no heater or sure its running correctly,

Do you have a room thermometer or way to check to see what room temp is? Can you tell us any other electronic devices that are in room and how close? Also is there a window you allow light through and is it an insulated window?

I know these are odd to ask but it will help rule out any other outside sources to narrow down to tank.

OP
OP
Warpigdave

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was just a combination of uv sterilizer and pump. I put a fan on the sump and temp is cooler

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back