I 3D Printed a Fluval Evo port cover!

InvertGang

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2021
Messages
59
Reaction score
84
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got this little guy.

20211229_200951.jpg


I already had something covering the feeding port from when I got my hi-fin banded goby, but it didn't look very nice.

20211230_111431.jpg


I had more magnets holding it down before, but I had to borrow some to do my 3D print. I designed a new port cover using 3D modelling software, it took a few tries to get it to fit properly.

PortCoverScreenshot.png


When I printed it, I took some of that mesh from before and embedded it in the print (this is also where the magnets went).

20211230_111054.jpg


20211230_112354.jpg


20211230_112436.jpg


I trimmed away the extra mesh, and fit it into the feeding port. The port has a slope and the print is slightly flexible. This gives the port a tight fit in the port, but it can still be easily removed by grabbing the bars at the top and pulling it out.

20211230_112727.jpg


I used mesh instead of designing a pattern into the print for two reasons. The first reason is that there's also a pretty skinny fish in this tank I'm also trying to stop from jumping. I wanted to be sure that fish couldn't wriggle out through something I designed.

The second reason is I was worried an integrated pattern could be too hard or sharp if a fish were to hit it. The mesh is soft, springy, and bouncy so if a fish hits it, it won't get hurt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new