I added a CO2 scrubber (PH charts with results)

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a CO2 scrubber and thought you guys might be interested in charts/results. This one shows a fairly typical daily PH range and how it changed with the introduction of a CO2 scrubber. Note that I added it on Dec 2nd.

1702570858231.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! :relieved-face: Keep monitoring, you have about 36 hours of data so far from started using it; will be interesting to see in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shows continued success for the next six days or so. The CO2 scrubber was the only change I made. mostly. I found my KH was dropping so I dosed more dissolved sodium carbonate (soda ash) too.

1702571034553.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arh sorry, didn't check the dates! :D Looks good man.. I run a CO2 scrubber on an air pump directly in to the refugium (by-passing the skimmer). That's enough for me to keep my ph between 8.2-8.4.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The media lasted about six days the first time. I didn't have enough on hand to replace 100% of it so I replaced about 80% and reused the expired media with hopes that it was better than nothing.

That lasted about five days before the PH started dropping again.

I installed the recirculating plumbing without replacing the media. I'm guessing that it's the moisture that reactivated the media and made it effective again.

1702571291412.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, here's a picture of my CO2 scrubber setup. It's not all that unique but there are a few things I did right.

1) The lid on this skimmer spins when you clean the neck. I went with a long and flexible hose so that I can just spin it without plumbing complications.

2) The hose on the skimmer lid pulls out and slides back in easily and without tools.

3) The media is easy to get to and replace. I was considering putting the unit behind the tank but I think the trouble in servicing it wouldn't be worth the reduction in clutter. If I change my mind, it's easy to move.
CO2 scrubber.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back