I am confused on naming coral

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are going have to agree to disagree. Evolution is due to sexual reproduction, not cloning.
Wait, do you think bacteria that become resistant to antibiotics are reproducing sexually?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL we go from prices, coral names and then to arguing about how a frag is or isn't identical from the mother colony when its a broken piece from a growing coral, where the genetics is the same as when it was attached to the mother, and now it's different and mutates when not attached to the mother? Someone make a big bowl of popcorn...

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I am not. They are not perfectly or as you said "exactly genetically identical", they are close, but not perfect. If they were perfect clones evolution would be impossible.

Breaking an organism in half will not change its DNA. You are talking about mutations which is possible but an entire different subject and not guaranteed

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, do you think bacteria that become resistant to antibiotics are reproducing sexually?

Corals arent plants, nor are they prokaryotes.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals arent plants, nor are they prokaryotes.
Doesn't matter, I can dig up a different study about colonial animals if you'd like, but they even mention in that study that animal clones still aren't genetically identical, but that they tend to be more similar than plants. The study is aimed at understanding why.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, am I the only one not keeping plants in my reef tank? Am I missing out?
Do you keep Acropora?

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, here is a much better one.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, am I the only one not keeping plants in my reef tank? Am I missing out?
I'm glad you feel like mocking someone when you don't know what you are talking about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Come On !!!!
No one likes coral named after cereal, planets, zodiac and emperors and scorcerors?
IT IS INDEED REDICULOUS AND THE CUTER THE NAME - THE HIGHER THE PRICE.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Ferrari but it’s out of my price range so I stick with cheaper cars.

To be fair though, the cost of a Ferrari doesnt drag the entire automotive industry along with it.

The trend of naming and oversaturated photos, and then jacking the price 40-100%, is becoming more and more prevalent (probably because it works) but i don't think the complaints are unreasonable. In a small hobby like ours, the Ferrari companies actualy can (and do) set the pace.

And a lot of people will say things like "why complain? just don't buy it" IDK... i think that only enables those practices. Voting with our wallet doesnt actually work (i sure wish it did though lol)

Im getting a little sidetracked with price/photoshop but just naming, I agree makes a bit more sense. It just makes it easier to find and understand what you're looking for/buying. I love yellow for example. Although, I couldn't care less if its actually a 'pink floyd.' I just want more yellow! And having a named coral usually leads me down a path of R2R threads will similar coloration. Its a good baseline I guess is what im saying.

Side note: @bubbaque when will see some more frag packs in the selling forum!? I need moooore :)

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep Acropora?

I see your point, but this article talks about differentiation:
The large number of differentially expressed genes supports a strong division of labor between coral branch tips and branch bases. Genes involved in growth of mature Acropora colonies include the classical signaling pathways associated with development of cnidarian larvae and polyps as well as morphological determination in higher metazoans.

and they conclude:
Our RNA-seq results demonstrate that there are large differences in gene expression representing a strong DOL between polyps in the growing tips of branches compared to branch bases for both Caribbean Acropora.

I think many are saying their "core" genetics are the same, but this study talks about gene differentiation/expression.

The second article you cite seems to allude to variability due to environment- The genetic variability can be caused by two processes: by spontaneous genetic mutations in individual colony sections or by different corals coalescing during their development stage.
But how does this back up your argument that a frag is genetically different than from the mother colony, and discredit what other people are saying (that they're identical)? Are you trying to say as a frag, it can mutate or express different genes and will be totally different than the MC?

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large number of differentially expressed genes supports a strong division of labor between coral branch tips and branch bases. Genes involved in growth of mature Acropora colonies include the classical signaling pathways associated with development of cnidarian larvae and polyps as well as morphological determination in higher metazoans.

and they conclude:
Our RNA-seq results demonstrate that there are large differences in gene expression representing a strong DOL between polyps in the growing tips of branches compared to branch bases for both Caribbean Acropora.

I think many are saying their "core" genetics are the same, but this study talks about gene differentiation/expression.

The second article you cite seems to allude to variability due to environment- The genetic variability can be caused by two processes: by spontaneous genetic mutations in individual colony sections or by different corals coalescing during their development stage.
But how does this back up your argument that a frag is genetically different than from the mother colony, and discredit what other people are saying (that they're identical)? Are you trying to say as a frag, it can mutate or express different genes and will be totally different than the MC?
"by spontaneous genetic mutations in individual colony sections"
There you go.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

and they conclude:

What makes you think that these changes that occur via random mutation, which are then passed on to the clones of those particular cells don't demonstrate the point I'm making? I'm not saying these papers are all about the particular point I'm making. I'm not saying you will necessarily even see large changes in phenotype, or even any change at at all, but that does not change the fact that daughter colonies are not "EXACTLY identical" genetically to their parent colony. They just aren't. Now if someone said essentially/basically identical genetically I could agree with that. Again I didn't say they were wildly different, I even gave the human identical twins example. (I'm talking about genotype not phenotype please don't confuse the two. ARRRGG)

Last edited:

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, to make a related point. I have little doubt that if one were to have sequenced the genome of the original Oregon Tort back when it was brought into the hobby, it would be slightly (significantly? I guess it depends on your definition of significant) different than say if one sequenced the daughter colony in my tank, even though/if my colony had a direct lineage back to that original piece. The living tissue of our corals are constantly dying and being replaced. These replacements are ever so slightly genetically different from their parents. These differences accumulate over time, and the differences that are best suited to aquarium life (or even a particular aquarium) will come to dominate. It is impossible that genetic adaptations do not provide some benefit to long term captive raised corals. How much change depends on generational length (of the cells themselves in this case) and how different the new environment is (not sure if this is exhaustive?). There are several papers out there discussing this phenomena (among others), and its effect on strategies related to aquaculture/mariculture being used to repopulate reefs. Again, this is a question of how many generations and how much pressure, so obviously degree of change will vary wildly.

I'm also not saying this type of change would be as significant as change via sexual reproduction. I have no doubt that sexual reproduction will get the work of adaptation done much faster. I mean lets be real sexual reproduction is expensive and exhausting, such a resource intensive process must have a huge payoff in evolutionary terms (in some or many situations?) or it would simply not be a thing.

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think that these changes that occur via random mutation, which are then passed on to the clones of those particular cells don't demonstrate the point I'm making? I'm not saying these papers are all about the particular point I'm making. I'm not saying you will necessarily even see large changes in phenotype, or even any change at at all, but that does not change the fact that daughter colonies are not "EXACTLY identical" genetically to their parent colony. They just aren't. Now if someone said essentially/basically identical genetically I could agree with that. Again I didn't say they were wildly different, I even gave the human identical twins example. (I'm talking about genotype not phenotype please don't confuse the two. ARRRGG)
I'm not confusing the two. Just trying to see both sides of the argument (although what you present seems to tip the scales). Just based off of that one sentence you quoted, I can see how one can argue that well frag X came from this section, not that section, so this is still identical to this portion of the MC.

It's funny this is even mentioned because I was talking about something similar to my friend the other day; I have a HW colony that isn't expressing the colors I feel it should be; and I bought a frag of it where the MC wasn't expressing the best colors either (I thought I could color it up); so I asked him if he felt its biology and gene expression changed where the poor coloration is now carrying on? Maybe those articles will help to explain alot more than what's being discussed here.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the environmental. Even when one type of cell starts to take over more than others due to environment, it was in the DNA to do so. There is little chance that your home wrecker mutated to have different colors after of a single cutting - it is likely more of a light, parameter or other environmental issue. With a trillion-trillion cuts, then the odds get better.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back