I am confused on naming coral

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not confusing the two. Just trying to see both sides of the argument (although what you present seems to tip the scales). Just based off of that one sentence you quoted, I can see how one can argue that well frag X came from this section, not that section, so this is still identical to this portion of the MC.

It's funny this is even mentioned because I was talking about something similar to my friend the other day; I have a HW colony that isn't expressing the colors I feel it should be; and I bought a frag of it where the MC wasn't expressing the best colors either (I thought I could color it up); so I asked him if he felt its biology and gene expression changed where the poor coloration is now carrying on? Maybe those articles will help to explain alot more than what's being discussed here.
This type of thing is certainly possible (I think enviromental effect more probable but I could be wrong), maybe I should go back to school and get a Phd in bio, so I could write my dissertation on Homewrecker frags. Awww a boy can dream.

edit: hell the difference in appearance could be a reaction the coral has to a genetic morph or different strain in it's zooxanthella. Pure speculation btw. Or the more obvious explanation is the frag is an impostor.

Last edited:

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on the environmental. Even when one type of cell starts to take over more than others due to environment, it was in the DNA to do so. There is little chance that your home wrecker mutated to have different colors after of a single cutting - it is likely more of a light, parameter or other environmental issue. With a trillion-trillion cuts, then the odds get better.
We don't know it's after a single cutting, and besides the cutting isn't whats important the pressures, generation length, and time in new environment are whats important.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to even point out, and further move this mostly useless discussion down another rabbit hole, but the color in the HM that might be different is from the dinos that are in the coral, not from the coral it's self. ...so I guess that we could have a coral mutation and a dinoflagellate mutation at the same time - this is like having a X-Man with that can control metal with their mind and also make lightning appear out of nowhere to strike down enemies.

...or, more likely, it is just environmental.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not confusing the two. Just trying to see both sides of the argument (although what you present seems to tip the scales). Just based off of that one sentence you quoted, I can see how one can argue that well frag X came from this section, not that section, so this is still identical to this portion of the MC.

It's funny this is even mentioned because I was talking about something similar to my friend the other day; I have a HW colony that isn't expressing the colors I feel it should be; and I bought a frag of it where the MC wasn't expressing the best colors either (I thought I could color it up); so I asked him if he felt its biology and gene expression changed where the poor coloration is now carrying on? Maybe those articles will help to explain alot more than what's being discussed here.
Sorry to spam you, but just to be slightly pedantic there is a zero% chance gene expression hasn't changed. I mean that is, generally speaking, what we are talking about when we talk about environment causing a coral to look different, gene expression is phenotype change cause by environment ( people often don't understand what a geneticist means when he says environment, it means ANYTHING not genetic). The other possibility, among others, is that genetic change that effects coloration has occurred.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to even point out, and further move this mostly useless discussion down another rabbit hole, but the color in the HM that might be different is from the dinos that are in the coral, not from the coral it's self. ...so I guess that we could have a coral mutation and a dinoflagellate mutation at the same time - this is like having a X-Man with that can control metal with their mind and also make lightning appear out of nowhere to strike down enemies.

Yep, I edited in this consideration into my other post a minute ago. And like I pointed out earlier this is not useless, it has significant implications for longer term aquaculture and conservation strategies.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m a bettin man... I’d say the Dinos mutated too!

J/k

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, Im a nerd but some of you are super genetically modified, non GMO, gluten free nerds!!!

OP
OP
Brandon Smith

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this got kind of scientific lol. I guess the question then is naming coral of importance, but how to standardize naming in some fashion. I know one of the first things when looking to buy a named coral is go to Google images lol.

Sounds like coral lineages are important to people kind of like clownfish for breeders. Lineage is very important in breeding in order to help determine what the offspring will look like, and of course you will get genetically mutations (i.e. the Black Storm from Sea and Reef).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 139 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back