I am going to be a Clownfish Grandpa! (Probably Not)

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

My 2 Percs just laid eggs for the first time in my tank, they are accompanied by a few other fish that I am sure are just waiting for the buffet to open.

The clowns laid the eggs near there 2 anemones but laid them on my overflow box. I don’t think it is possible to remove them?

Would they be a loss cause now? Should I put in a small clay pot in the tank to see if I can get them to go there again in a couple weeks?

Any info would be helpful, I am now researching this forum on what to do.

Tonight I purchased some Rotifers and trying to the the equipment so i can culture them to feed to the future babies.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the pair lay once then they will typically continue to lay eggs (as long as the water quality and nutrition continues at a solid level). I would recommend that you observe the behavior within the tank for the first spawn or two while continuing to research the clown breeding process. The hardest part isn't the eggs or the hatching, it is figuring out the food once they hatch. If you want to commit to raising clownfish fry you may want to consider the various food options from Reef Nutrition (especially their rotifer system). There is a lot of info here on R2R about breeding clownfish - Good luck!

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still catch them. Look up Vossen trap. I use it to get the fry out of my reef tank. If you want you can turn off all flow and use a flashlight. They are attracted to light and then scoop them out. It sucks, but it can be done. My pair always lays their eggs on the back glass of my reef tank. I started with the flashlight and cup method, but then purchased a Vossen trap, and it is amazingly easy.

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Davinci clowns are laying regularly now. I put a clay flower pot in for this purpose and they lay the eggs on the inside of that.
Just waiting for a nano tank to cycle and I'll start trying to raise the fry in a few weeks.
Never see any fry once they hatch I'm assuming the rest of tank inhabitants think it's a bonus feeding time.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
669F5781-82B4-47EB-A575-142C602611FA.jpeg
And if you have success you will end up with a clownfish herem.

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm closing a tank down so moving the clowns into my main. When I took the flower pot out it turns out they have just laid eggs.
Now got flower pot in plastic tub with heater and air line.
I've ordered some rotifers bit they may not come when and if they hatch.

Is there anything else easily accessible that I can get for the fry to eat?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back