I am ready to throw in the towel.

a-mused

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to understand lighting and how it interacts with your reef, carve out a 50 minute slot and watch Tullio's talk at MACNA this year. It dispels a whole lot of hype while getting down to just the pure, irrefutable science of lighting. It may also explain why your replacement of the guts of the black box could possibly be part of the source of your current issues.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP I feel your pain. I too couldn't grow anything and was near the brink of giving up. My problem was listening to the internet and changing too many things in reaction to natural phases a new reef tank goes through. Time is your friend in this hobby. Takes a good solid year or more for a tank to mature to handle SPS.

Florida_Angel

Rock Flower Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elwood Dowd

Hi there :)

I am new to the marine world since last January...I have a 20 gal nano that I have not gone high-tech with. I've got 2 HOB Aquaclear filters, an AI Prime HD light, and an a wave maker...I do 5 gal water changes about every 2-3 weeks and just keep topping it off with fresh RO water as it evaporates. I too agree that this hobby seems to be way over complicated a lot of times lol

I've got my 4 fish and a very happy mix of corals and invertebrates that are doing just fine!

I would def have to say that going simple has worked for me :)

This is my tank in July

1499380823430811981623-jpg.542864

This is it in August

21055224_1854551351229585_2472575727253069741_o.jpg

I got rid of the skimmer and don't use the heater and everyone seems to be quite happy! Rock flowers are up and about all over the tank and mushrooms are multiplying quite nicely!

That birdsnest is seriously getting out of control! Had to move the red one away from it lol

Hope your tank starts getting back to a happy state :)

Vince57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As, I'm getting back in the hobby, reading post on R2R, its mind boggling, to the point that it's scarring me away.
Mind you, I was in the hobby back in the 80's, there weren't all these fancy smanchy gadgets.
Yes, there were the big three back then (dKH,PO4,Cal) I didn't worry about Nitrates, Nitrites, cause back then, we used live rock and live sand to combat these along with a skimmer.
There were bioballs,refugriums and sumps as welll. Yes, with the live rock and sand, there were potential pits falls, but gosh, reading post about these old school methods are down right intimidating.
I could go on and on, but I'll continue to read and hopefully make the right decision to get back in or not!
The other possibility, is going the FOWLR route..
That way, I won't have to beat my brains out trying to figure out all the parameters.
And besides, I really want Tangs and Angels.
Tangs reef safe, Angels not so much.
Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.

Ali350z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why there is so much different info is because it's what worked for them. I was in the same boat as you. Everyone I mean everyone has been there. 2 things I have learned. Simplicity and consistency is the most important thing. I don't even test anything. I rely on water changes. I only test if something is wrong. Never had fish die and maybe 3 coral (this was when I first started) I have never dosed and have been doing this for almost 3 years. But then again I mainly have an lps/softies tank. I do have a few sps but they are growing as well...i know a lot of people with Chinese leds that do great. I would say why not have the best of both worlds and do a led/t5 combo? Also stop putting bottled stuff into your aquarium. If u must go with half of the value people say. I personally never put bottled stuff in mine. Don't listen to your lfs they want u to spend more money. I don't know where you live but on Facebook join "dfw marine aquarium exchange" if you have a question you can ask on there. What majority of the people say is what I go with. I know all of the people on it that are experiences. Lots of them are actually aquarium business owners. We will all help you on it. If u want to send me a personal msg on fb you can...my name is Ali Noorany. Good luck!!!

IMG_20170822_225546.jpg

Last edited:

tom66645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170826_191141.jpg
Try going simple. My 65g uses a small sump, skimmer, and 2 "cheap" LED lights (165W each). And live rock. I add calcium and alkalinity, and nothing else. I find that additives are completely unnecessary. I have fantastic growth in my softies and LPS (and had tremendous growth with SPS when I kept them in this same system (lost them to hurricane Irene). Seems that the less I "do", the better off the system is.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you are going through some stuff. The same learning curves you are going through apply to any hobby. You could never be a professional basketball player without years of practice. (And some failure) You've been doing it about a year right? I've been doing this on and off since '02, and I learn things all the time. That's part of the fun, and challenge. Sometimes I realize things I thought were a rock solid fact a year ago I now tweak. Don't listen to advice from people with head knowledge, yet learn people with long term beautiful tanks to back up that information. Even at that sometimes things don't work the same for others. The best advise can come from people that do this stuff for a living. Not the lfs trying to sell you something, but coral farmers that offer free advise because they want you to succeed (to continue to buy from them). There is definitely some bad advice out there, some coming from people that should know better, believe me. Sometimes I realize how much people don't know that really should. Trial and error play the biggest role. There is a scientific explanation for every reaction, I promise. If you really want it you will figure it out. And you'll be so happy when you get there!

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry but I need to give u a reality check. To keep Sps in a 40 g tank is very hard. U have to keep up your tank daily any slight change will affect your corals real fast. It can be done however it can go down hill fast. For your tank size it's best to stay with soft and lps. Reefing is for relaxing not create more stress. U can have a beautiful tank with softy n lps.

NorthFLreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year in and I am ready to break down my tank. What a wretched waste of life, money, and time.

I am at the point where I don't know what is up and what is down. There is a wealth of information out there and the only bit I trust comes from Randy Holmes Farley, mcarrol and a few of the other posters I see here. Everything contradicts all other info. All over the place I see no P04 is the answer. Yet I see people dosing specifically for it. Years ago we strived for no nitrates. Now people add them. We have better lights now. But when I used t5's and MH combos my tank grew and looked incredible. Now I am on led's and nothing grows. Get a par meter they say. But outside of buying one that I will use a total of 3 times per tank unless I am playing with it, there isnt one to rent in my area. Now that that bit of useless crying is out of the way I will get on with the point.

40 breeder, 20 long sump, 2000 gph flow (including return), two broken Chinese black boxes reconfigured with cree royal blues Philips lime and bridgelux 4500k 6500k red/orange and cyan for color with meanwell ELN 60 48D dimmable drivers on 2 channels per box.

As of right now:
0 phos
20 nitrate
0 ammo
0 trite
440 cal
1300 magnesium
1.024 sg

Stock list:
5 Mexican turbos
A handful of various sand sifting snails and 4 red leg hermits
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
2 serpentine stars
2 Carmel clowns
Red stripe Eibli angel
Red spotted hawk
6 line wrasse
Green birds nest (bleaching again)
8 inch wall hammer
4 head lime and pink colored frogspawn
4 head torch
Duncan
Kenya tree
Various zoanthids
Orange/peach colored monti cap
Superman monti
Idaho grape monti
2 Candy canes
Nearly dead Jedi mind trick monti
A brown and green favia that started hitting the bricks the last two days.

My LPS are kicking ***, that is the only bit of hope I have. Maybe I am getting something right. I suspect my fatal error may habe been trying to do a mixed reef in a 22 inch deep tank. The Kenya tree grows (dang it). Zoas have slowed sustantially since I swapped out lights.

I am doing 2x 10 gallon WC's monthly using DD Aquarium Solutions H2Ocean pro formula. The only suplement I dose is Acropower.

3 months in, I battled bryopsis. Thank you R2R and Prsnlty (I think I got that right) and MCarrol(we talked about leds, I did my first rig on my FO. Its great and I can at least keep softies in there) for the advice and time you spent with my questions. I beat back bryopsis with fluconazol. It killed off all of the algea in my tank (macros were fine).

Then came dinos. 3 days of darkness and peroxide dosing won.

Then came Huricane Irma. Tanks were on a generator for 2 days, it fried. 5 days with no electricity. I lost my Jedi mind trick, RBTA, plum crazy acro, tri color bali, coral beauty and valentini puffer(from my FO) 1 week later I tarted getting Dinos again. They are on a candy can frag, Idaho grape monti, and of course by the end of the day my substrate is absolutely covered with it and it looks like I am a very successful bubble farmer.

Name some books for me please! Direct me towards something or someone in Jacksonville Florida who can help get me moving in the correct direction. Burning hundred dollar bills every week sucks but it isn't the worst. The worst is that I took this hobby on and all of the living things that I am buying are dying, because of my lack of knowledge. I repair software/plc's and the 6 million dollar or more robots that the software runs. That is easy. Recreating a slice of nature inside of a 36 x 18 x 22 glass box is not easy. It is the most difficult thing I have ever attempted.

Have you talked to the guys at BioReef? I’m in Jacksonville and so are they. Very informed people. Max has been reefing for 15 years! Give them a call. They do house visits. Or stop by the store, they’ll get you going in the right direction

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elwood Dowd

I am new to the marine world since last January...I have a 20 gal nano that I have not gone high-tech with. I've got 2 HOB Aquaclear filters, an AI Prime HD light, and an a wave maker...I do 5 gal water changes about every 2-3 weeks and just keep topping it off with fresh RO water as it evaporates. I too agree that this hobby seems to be way over complicated a lot of times lol

I've got my 4 fish and a very happy mix of corals and invertebrates that are doing just fine!

This is my tank in July

This is it in August

I got rid of the skimmer and don't use the heater and everyone seems to be quite happy! Rock flowers are up and about all over the tank and mushrooms are multiplying quite nicely!

That birdsnest is seriously getting out of control! Had to move the red one away from it lol

Simple is the way to go! I don't know why some people overcomplicate things. [emoji170][emoji225]

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year in and I am ready to break down my tank. What a wretched waste of life, money, and time.

I am at the point where I don't know what is up and what is down. There is a wealth of information out there and the only bit I trust comes from Randy Holmes Farley, mcarrol and a few of the other posters I see here. Everything contradicts all other info. All over the place I see no P04 is the answer. Yet I see people dosing specifically for it. Years ago we strived for no nitrates. Now people add them. We have better lights now. But when I used t5's and MH combos my tank grew and looked incredible. Now I am on led's and nothing grows. Get a par meter they say. But outside of buying one that I will use a total of 3 times per tank unless I am playing with it, there isnt one to rent in my area. Now that that bit of useless crying is out of the way I will get on with the point.

40 breeder, 20 long sump, 2000 gph flow (including return), two broken Chinese black boxes reconfigured with cree royal blues Philips lime and bridgelux 4500k 6500k red/orange and cyan for color with meanwell ELN 60 48D dimmable drivers on 2 channels per box.

As of right now:
0 phos
20 nitrate
0 ammo
0 trite
440 cal
1300 magnesium
1.024 sg

Stock list:
5 Mexican turbos
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
2 serpentine stars
2 Carmel clowns
Red stripe Eibli angel
Red spotted hawk
6 line wrasse
8 inch wall hammer
4 head torch
Duncan
Kenya tree
Various zoanthids
Superman monti
Idaho grape monti
2 Candy canes

My LPS are kicking ***, that is the only bit of hope I have. Maybe I am getting something right. I suspect my fatal error may habe been trying to do a mixed reef in a 22 inch deep tank. The Kenya tree grows (dang it). Zoas have slowed sustantially since I swapped out lights.

I am doing 2x 10 gallon WC's monthly using DD Aquarium Solutions H2Ocean pro formula. The only suplement I dose is Acropower.

3 months in, I battled bryopsis. Thank you R2R and Prsnlty (I think I got that right) and MCarrol(we talked about leds, I did my first rig on my FO. Its great and I can at least keep softies in there) for the advice and time you spent with my questions. I beat back bryopsis with fluconazol. It killed off all of the algea in my tank (macros were fine).

Then came Huricane Irma. Tanks were on a generator for 2 days, it fried. 5 days with no electricity. I lost my Jedi mind trick, RBTA, plum crazy acro, tri color bali, coral beauty and valentini puffer(from my FO) 1 week later I tarted getting Dinos again. They are on a candy can frag, Idaho grape monti, and of course by the end of the day my substrate is absolutely covered with it and it looks like I am a very successful bubble farmer.

Name some books for me please! Direct me towards something or someone in Jacksonville Florida who can help get me moving in the correct direction. Burning hundred dollar bills every week sucks but it isn't the worst. The worst is that I took this hobby on and all of the living things that I am buying are dying, because of my lack of knowledge. I repair software/plc's and the 6 million dollar or more robots that the software runs. That is easy. Recreating a slice of nature inside of a 36 x 18 x 22 glass box is not easy. It is the most difficult thing I have ever attempted.
After over 40 years keeping marines , i believe in the simple route now. I have a 7 foot by 2x2 foot tank and a small sump full of chaeto, the tank is full of real living rock , from the days when you got it straight from the ocean, not sterilized, . I run two fluval405 canister filters to pump the water from the sump to the display tank, and then it goes back through a overflow box. the display tank has 4 t5 tubes above it , 2 blue, 2 white and the sump has a small LED unit. my nitrates and nitrites are (some) ph is up and down , as is the salinity. I have some algae, but the limpets deal with that and are breeding nicely , my tangs are around 7 years old, i have had damsel fish that have mated, all my soft corals are doing brilliantly, I do not test the water , I just look each day at the huge patch of Xenia, if it does not look as good as normal , I do a small water change, and thats it. It easier to keep than a freshwater tank. I have tried all the scientific stuff over the years and , you know what , its just more to go wrong. Everything in my tank is happy , so im happy, and its so simple to keep, no stress. So I would say to you , dont give up , just simplify

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple has been what works for my tank. I am also not growing difficult corals because I don't want to chase parameters, calcium, mag etc. I run my 125g with a fluval fx6 canister filter. No sump, no refugium. I have an undersized hob skimmer. I have dealt with ich, velvet and more. I have lost almost all my fish twice in the 3 years I've been doing this. I have never lost a coral. I have 4 torches, 4 hammers, gsp, mushrooms, 3 frogspawn and a ton of zoas. I watch my tank so much that I can tell when something is off. Right now I am battling hair algae and bryopsis due to overfeeding. Tried peroxide, helped a bit but all my hermit crabs seemed to die off. Went yesterday and loaded up with 15 hermits, 4 turbos and a couple halloween crabs. Fluconazole should be here by Monday or Tuesday. Best investment was my lights. I didn't go high end I went with Maxspect Razors. Most of my corals doubled in size. My torches have tripled in size. One started out with 3 heads, now has 7.
20170901_215409.jpg
20170901_215600.jpg
try and get some small limpets for your algae, they only grow about 1/2 inch across and come out at night to devour algae. Will breed in your tank also

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all of the encouragement. I slept on it and now I am ready to fight it again.

I will a dress a couple of things that are reoccurring questions or comments in this thread.

My Chinese black boxes are not Chinese any longer. Maybe I didn't say so (I did lol) i dont like to read long whiney posts either. But the black boxes I have are stuffed with cree, bridgelux and Philips leds royal blue crews make up 65% of 110 less. The rest are a mix of whites with a couple of orange/red and lime thrown in for color correction. This are all on mean well drivers. Nothing inside of them is Chinese black box, except for the box. Not even the fans. I used 80mm attic cpu fans.

As to my dosing of supplements mainly calcium and magnesium. I don't, at the moment. I do have brightwell a-b here ready to use if need be i even have some mixed. But I just don't have the calcium use to necessitate the addition of more. Same with magnesium. DD salts when mixed to 1.024, very consistently, keep my calcium at 440 and magnesium at 1350. I spend a bunch of money on that salt so that I don't have to dose tons of supplements.

Anyway, I really really do appreciate the encouragement!!!! You folks in Jacksonville, maybe a beer is in order one day and to the mention of bio reef, I will have to stop in there one day. Your review of them is glowing and makes me want to spend money there. I have been going to coral logic.
Hey man I noticed you have not been reporting your ALK and PH. Do you test for those? I would start with simple things by making sure the basics are in order. I had a digi and a monti bleach overnight a couple days ago all it was CAL being too high, spiked to 540 I did 50% WC and color is coming back. Moral of story simple stuff. I could of spent hundreds on crap from LFS or online that I didn't need but instead of pulling my hair out I took a deep breath and just went to the basics. Ehsan Dashti blew my mind on the BRS 2017 Macna lecture video. He turned my whole world of reefing upside down and now I want to start a Triton tank build. check out the video if you haven't seen it, it might re-inspire you.

snowboard1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go back to the MH / T5. You are fighting this rediculous LED trend. Or I guess you could spend a ton on updating the highest end LEDs every year or so...

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elwood Dowd

This is my tank in July

This is it in August

@Florida_Angel

Thanks for sharing your tank and experience -- WHAT are those zoas front and center? Are they really BIG or is it an optical illusion! Great Tank!

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As of right now:
0 phos
20 nitrate
0 ammo
0 trite
440 cal
1300 magnesium
1.024 sg

Stock list:
5 Mexican turbos
Skunk cleaner shrimp
Fire shrimp
2 serpentine stars
2 Carmel clowns
Red stripe Eibli angel
Red spotted hawk
6 line wrasse
8 inch wall hammer
4 head torch
Duncan
Kenya tree
Various zoanthids
Superman monti
Idaho grape monti
2 Candy canes

We have a weird problem in this hobby. When we’re new we tend to listen to the “best” advice by category. What’s the best filter system. What’s the best food. What’s the best nutrient level. It turns out this can be disasterous.

For example, let’s say we search for best nutrient level and it turns out most people say 0 (its an example, I have no idea what most people say). Then we search feeding and most people say very little food. Both of those might be true on average. Put em together and your corals fade and die. You see keeping really low nutrients is fine if your corals are eating well and feeding very little is fine if you have some nutrients for your corals. Each piece of advice in one catagory depends on how you treat another.

This leads me to the only advice I’ll offer. Don’t pick and chose. Pick a system that works and stick with it. Want to try Zeo? Try Zeo. Don’t dabble in it, do it and stick to it. Listen to the folks with the most experience running it successfully. Don’t try to mix it with advice you’re getting from folks running another system.

There are limits. Some few folks know their stuff well enough to advise you well on any system, but they’re few and far between. Most folks know what works for them in their system. It doesn’t always apply to you.

Even doing this, sticking to an established methodology, isn’t always enough. I spent a year trying to figure out why my corals weren’t thriving when they had for the previous two. I kept things going with water changes but if I slowed down corals faded fast. Turns out lots of smokers in the sump room will do that to a tank. No one really has any useful advice for something like that because they don’t know it’s happening until you tell them and when you tell them you’ve already figured the problem out.

Don’t be discouraged, be curious. This is an art, a skill and a science. Find a game plan that works and stick with it. Then spend your time figuring out where you’re not following the plan and fix the problem. There will be a next problem. Work on it.

Lots of folks here say simplify. I’d suggest that’s a version of what I just said. Simple is a danged good system. But simple still requires that you follow one of several simple plans. Know which you’re following.

I lied. I’ll offer another bit of advice. When you’re trying to track down variables that are causing you grief, it helps to eliminate those things that are hard to evaluate. I’d try t5 lights for instance. LEDs are great, but they can require some finesse to get right. I’m finesse challenged. I use halides and t5s because a million years of reefing says they work out the box. When everything else is right, feel free to explore LED. Until then, don’t add the variable.

Don’t give up. Get curious, get systematic, and get your satisfaction from your successes even when they’re small. The hobby is about learning.

Stay with it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back