I believe this might be flukes

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just showed up yesterday on my hippo tang. I believe it is flukes but not positive. One spot on side actually looks like pimple under the skin. Hoping the experienced ones will please chime in.
20170112_185807.jpeg
20170113_092340.jpeg

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish. Fish have been out of QT and back in DT for over a month. I don't get it. After QT (copper) I monitored them in 40 gallon bare bottom HOB filter for several weeks And everything seemed fine. Everything had been good until this morning then I see this on my hippo. Can't seem to win lately. Guess I'll try it again. This particular tank has had ich before went fallow for 76 days. Might just tear it down and start over with new rock and sand. I can't keep going through this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish. Fish have been out of QT and back in DT for over a month. I don't get it. After QT (copper) I monitored them in 40 gallon bare bottom HOB filter for several weeks And everything seemed fine. Everything had been good until this morning then I see this on my hippo. Can't seem to win lately. Guess I'll try it again. This particular tank has had ich before went fallow for 76 days. Might just tear it down and start over with new rock and sand. I can't keep going through this.

Any new corals/inverts added that weren't QT?

If your Hippo has ich, the trophonts should cause even more excess mucous to form and the dots should turn whiter like you see in my photo above.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know it's tough but don't give up. Your fish need you. I'm pulling for you.

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @Humblefish a leather and a chalice. I have taken the day off work to keep an eye on fish and try and figure out my plan. Thank you for your input. Looks like it is going to be a busy next few days

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes @Humblefish a leather and a chalice. I have taken the day off work to keep an eye on fish and try and figure out my plan. Thank you for your input. Looks like it is going to be a busy next few days

The chalice (in particular) might have had a tomont (cyst) on it. Or the rock the leather came on (if applicable). Any hard surface really.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... it looks like ick is back. The new corals are probably the culprit. I'm sorry man. :(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... it looks like ick is back. The new corals are probably the culprit. I'm sorry man. :(
X2 it's very easy to get ich from coral as well, ESPECIALLY from a pet store or LFS. It's annoying but we really need a qt for coral as well.. sorry :(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on Amazon and buy a UV sterilizer. Ick is one of the hardest things to kick
That won't really "fix" the problem, your fish just build a residence and this may give them slightly more time to do so, but it cannot and will not replace proper qt

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me, must've come in on a coral or if you happened to use some equipment in both tanks. Either that or it had ich in your qt the whole time.

I strongly recommend the tank transfer method for ich prevention/treatment. No need to use harmful chemicals like copper and worry about dosing etc, it uses the life cycle of the ich against itself. I have had great success treating ich as well as preventing it with this method.

Unfortunately as you are well aware, the only surefire way to eradicate in your display is fallow period.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back