I can't keep Wall Hammers? They eventually melt away.

TWT5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I had to remove yet another hammer coral (wall variety). I've kept a reef aquarium 10+ years... but I can't seem to keep the wall hammer corals. I have branching varieties that give me no trouble.

Does anyone else have issues with the wall variety of hammer corals?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I had to remove yet another hammer coral (wall variety). I've kept a reef aquarium 10+ years... but I can't seem to keep the wall hammer corals. I have branching varieties that give me no trouble.

Does anyone else have issues with the wall variety of hammer corals?
I always see wall hammers at LFSs. I’ve never bought or kept any. But I’ve noticed that they don’t do well in captivity. No idea why.

DDW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always see wall hammers at LFSs. I’ve never bought or kept any. But I’ve noticed that they don’t do well in captivity. No idea why.
+1 to that. The branching ones tend to do well and tolerated pretty much all of my screw ups, but the wall hammers were always heartbreaks in the end.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this happen!
I see probably 50 reef tanks every week. I’ve yet to see one keep a wall hammer more than 3 months. The tentacles tend to shrink and pull in to the crown slowly and eventually fade away. I’d usually suspect bacterial infections which is common with euphyllia but it’s odd in this sense.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bacterial, I wonder if a good iodine dip or some other disinfecting step would help?
I use povidone iodine to dip all my euphyllia before putting in tank. And I’ve saved some after an iodine dip. Classic signs of a bacterial infection are when they won’t fully open and start to shed tentacles or if they have brown jelly. You can also pull it and smell it. If it has a foul smell, definitely bacterial.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a wall hammer for ya. It's one large mass so if one section starts to go the whole thing dies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Most challenging IMO of the hammer group. Ive killed many but have one now that is doing well and theyre Not cheap

OP
OP
TWT5011

TWT5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I've been away and not checking this... Thanks for the thoughts. When I think about it... the wall hammers I've lost lasted about 3-5 months. Day after day they open up fully and look healthy, then overnight they start to melt. Brown jelly or something. It's very frustrating and expensive. I will not buy another wall variety. My water params are good. Sigh.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also can't keep wall hammers, I have a Duncan that is doing ok but I also have a frogspawn coral doing well so I don't know what it could be.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back