I did a thing! (Painted tank cabinet)

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2reef :)

I bought a second hand tank from a guy off facebook marketplace and the stand was just badly primed plywood.
It looked bad, I decided it needs to be painted.

Whilst looking for a primer, an idea was born that I would paint something on the cabinet.

Obviously, I am not an artist and the best I can draw is a stick man, I had to rely on some google searches and one stolen image.
I asked someone to convert the image to an outline and convert it into a vector drawing.
Printed it on a home ink printer on a cheap printer paper, "reinforced" with painters tape and started to cut.

There was a lot of cutting. About 5 hours in total. I then secured it to the stand with more painters tape and painted over with a roller.
The effect was... better than you would imagine, but in general quite bad. The super fragile paper stencil was at fault, whilst cutting a lot of detail had to be removed and the painters tape absorbed some of the paint, detached and allowed the paint to leak all around.

For a moment i thought to keep it that way, but I bought some fine art brushes and... voila!

It looks nothing like the stencil, but i think it turned out pretty cool!

yjjc3mU.jpg

I am planning to add some fish to give it some scale and that's it! I can finally tidy up the room!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back