I didn’t think this through….

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 fish in quarantine I’m not quite sure where to put them when done….

I have a 50g holding tank that’s been setup for at least a year with a 40 breeder fuge which is where I’d like to put them. Problem is the two fish in there I believe to be healthy but never quarantined them. (They came from a fellow hobbiest). It would be counter productive to put them in there if the other fish were carrying anything. I have plenty of biological filtration from that tank but can I use that and still feel good about it? The quarantine tank has no biological filtration and gets 100% water changes every 3 days.

what’s your suggestions?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are treating your quarantined fish prophylactically with meds or hyposalinity or copper, all of your fish fall into the "we believe they're healthy but don't know for sure" category. Just holding the fish in quarantine doesn't do anything: any of your fish could be a carrier for some disease or parasite, and pose at least some medical risk to the others, if you haven't treated them with a general preventitive measure.

I'm not sure what might be in your "holding" tank, but if it's a FOWLR system you could go hypo in it, and do the same in your quarantine tank. It would be the best way of mitigating your concerns at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not be the right person to answer that as I do not quarantine my fish. That being said, your new fish will need biological filtration and I think an establish tank will be better for them than a brand new tank.
How long have your previous fish been with you? If they have not been sick for several month it is probably OK to put them together.
Do you know if the previous owner quarantine them?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are treating your quarantined fish prophylactically with meds or hyposalinity or copper, all of your fish fall into the "we believe they're healthy but don't know for sure" category. Just holding the fish in quarantine doesn't do anything: any of your fish could be a carrier for some disease or parasite, and pose at least some medical risk to the others, if you haven't treated them with a general preventitive measure.

I'm not sure what might be in your "holding" tank, but if it's a FOWLR system you could go hypo in it, and do the same in your quarantine tank. It would be the best way of mitigating your concerns at this point.
Sorry. By QT I do mean copper, nitrofurazone, prazi…. The holding tank is FOWLER. I intend to run those 2 fish through the same treatment regiment to make sure I account for the most common parasites, illnesses. These fish will be going into a 500g system in the coming months. Just wanting to have some fish ready to go when that time comes. I have plenty of tanks ready to set up as holding tanks. I just planned on throwing these into this tank I had set up but didn’t think about the possible negative effects.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not be the right person to answer that as I do not quarantine my fish. That being said, your new fish will need biological filtration and I think an establish tank will be better for them than a brand new tank.
How long have your previous fish been with you? If they have not been sick for several month it is probably OK to put them together.
Do you know if the previous owner quarantine them?
I’ve had these fish around a year. Yellow tang and coral beauty. They came from a tank breakdown and had been in that tank for some time. I’m trying my best to make sure I don’t introduce anything into my dream 500g system as it will be a nightmare to address any issues once set up. Yes the 2 fish are healthy but I want to make sure they aren’t carrying anything just to be safe.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve got 2 fish in quarantine I’m not quite sure where to put them when done….

I have a 50g holding tank that’s been setup for at least a year with a 40 breeder fuge which is where I’d like to put them. Problem is the two fish in there I believe to be healthy but never quarantined them. (They came from a fellow hobbiest). It would be counter productive to put them in there if the other fish were carrying anything. I have plenty of biological filtration from that tank but can I use that and still feel good about it? The quarantine tank has no biological filtration and gets 100% water changes every 3 days.

what’s your suggestions?
After a year if they are showing no signs, its safe to say they are clean . Are you treating the two in quarantine with anything ?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
copper, nitrofurazone for 15 days then prazi…
Realize with copper, every time you do water changes - you are breaking the treatment cycle. Treatment is FULL 30 days at therapeutic kevel 2.25-2.5 and monitored with a reliable copper kit such as Hanna. Monitor ammonia and change IF NECESSARY with a reliable ammonia kit and add oxygen via air stone
You must maintain copper level

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize with copper, every time you do water changes - you are breaking the treatment cycle. Treatment is FULL 30 days at therapeutic kevel 2.25-2.5 and monitored with a reliable copper kit such as Hanna. Monitor ammonia and change IF NECESSARY with a reliable ammonia kit and add oxygen via air stone
I’m doing 100% water changes with pre treated water @ 2.25-2.5 ppm copper power. I’m using marine collectors QT approach.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Hanna checker to maintain copper levels.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you don't trust skipping the fish you had for a year and want to be ultra safe.

you could set up an observation/holding tank for the two you are treating now when they are done. Biospira will speed up the cycling.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back