I do not give saltwater aquarium advice

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't give advice unless asked. There are a few reasons for that, first off, I am not the God of fish tanks, second, I don't have the nicest tank between here and Tahiti. Third, there is so much advice given on these forums that it boggles the mind and I would like to say that much of it is wrong advice, but I can't, because as I said, I am not the God of fish tanks.
Fourth, I run an undergravel filter so even I would not take advice from me and my methods are considered just rediculous.
After saying that and after reading so many posts on here I am glad that I don't give advice unless asked. Many posts start out with someone asking an inocuous question like "What should I feed my tang?" The poor guy will unleash a vast plethora of things like, "well you should not put a tang in a tank under 100 gallons, or a tang is an ich magnet so you have to quarantine it for 6 months and feed it garlic while you use hyposalinity on it and feed it nori four times a day at the same time every day. Or Tangs don't ship well so they should be avoided at all costs, or they don't get along with pipefish, or your social security will be cancelled if you get a tang or tangs are Jewish and only eat Kosher food.
Very few people will, if ever just answer the guys question as to what he should feed the thing.
So many threads go like that. Someone will ask "What is this invert" and he will get answers from a sea cucumber to a duck billed platypus.
I especially like when someone asks, "help me decide what fish to put in my tank?" Like, is it me? First of all, who cares what fish you put in your tank? There are hundreds of fish to choose from, pick one. I think you should re phrase the question and ask something like can a percula clown get along with a seahorse or a manta ray. Something specific will get you a better answer. But if you really want to know something, search out someone who has a tank that you admire and maybe has the fish or invert in there that you are interested in. Then try to read his or her threads to see if they seem to have luck with it for a few years (no, not months) then PM the person. That way you will get one answer and most likely a correct answer without all the drama and nonsence mixed with myth.
This is just my opinion and if I offended anyone. You could offend me, (call me bald or something) or you will just have to get over it. :thumb:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, what now?

The only thing you said that makes sense is the part about learning from other people's work. The rest sounds like you are preaching to someone about something and after reading this I am still not 100% clear on who and what you are addressing.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best post ever, Paul :thumb:
But if you really want to know something, search out someone who has a tank that you admire and maybe has the fish or invert in there that you are interested in. Then try to read his or her threads to see if they seem to have luck with it for a few years (no, not months) then PM the person. That way you will get one answer and most likely a correct answer without all the drama and nonsence mixed with myth.
Truth. People are so quick to start firing questions/starting threads as opposed to actually doing a little work on their end, it's mind numbing.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, what now?

The only thing you said that makes sense is the part about learning from other people's work. The rest sounds like you are preaching to someone about something and after reading this I am still not 100% clear on who and what you are addressing.

Well then if there was even something that made sense to you, I am happy.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't give advice unless asked. There are a few reasons for that, first off, I am not the God of fish tanks, second, I don't have the nicest tank between here and Tahiti. Third, there is so much advice given on these forums that it boggles the mind and I would like to say that much of it is wrong advice, but I can't, because as I said, I am not the God of fish tanks.
Fourth, I run an undergravel filter so even I would not take advice from me and my methods are considered just rediculous.
After saying that and after reading so many posts on here I am glad that I don't give advice unless asked. Many posts start out with someone asking an inocuous question like "What should I feed my tang?" The poor guy will unleash a vast plethora of things like, "well you should not put a tang in a tank under 100 gallons, or a tang is an ich magnet so you have to quarantine it for 6 months and feed it garlic while you use hyposalinity on it and feed it nori four times a day at the same time every day. Or Tangs don't ship well so they should be avoided at all costs, or they don't get along with pipefish, or your social security will be cancelled if you get a tang or tangs are Jewish and only eat Kosher food.
Very few people will, if ever just answer the guys question as to what he should feed the thing.
So many threads go like that. Someone will ask "What is this invert" and he will get answers from a sea cucumber to a duck billed platypus.
I especially like when someone asks, "help me decide what fish to put in my tank?" Like, is it me? First of all, who cares what fish you put in your tank? There are hundreds of fish to choose from, pick one. I think you should re phrase the question and ask something like can a percula clown get along with a seahorse or a manta ray. Something specific will get you a better answer. But if you really want to know something, search out someone who has a tank that you admire and maybe has the fish or invert in there that you are interested in. Then try to read his or her threads to see if they seem to have luck with it for a few years (no, not months) then PM the person. That way you will get one answer and most likely a correct answer without all the drama and nonsence mixed with myth.
This is just my opinion and if I offended anyone. You could offend me, (call me bald or something) or you will just have to get over it. :thumb:

oh

Must be the wrong Paul B.

Had you confused with the other that has been running a reef tank for over 40 years.

My mistake.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this post was really ignorant.

So I better delete it.

But can't find out how to delete it.

So I'll just ramble on to get people really really made at me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had you confused with the other that has been running a reef tank for over 40 years.

Anyone could run a reef tank for over 40 years, you just have to live more than 40 years. Besides I am not speaking to that other paul B.
He still uses a Undergravel filter and throws in mud from polluted harbors as well as baby flounders, lobsters, beer cans etc.
What a Jiboni

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a forum, they are full of a lot of the same questions over and over. Sometimes I throw questions out there just to start a conversation and believe it or not sometimes after all these years that topic I've seen a hundred times still teaches me something new. I like learning new ways of doing things and sometimes it's fun to waste some of my hard earned money on something I probably don't need. Keeps it interesting and drives my wife nuts at the same time. Win, win :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread = Funny..so far!

Paul you baldy buddy! :D

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha this is so true. I saw a whole thing on tangs similar to what you said when some guys was asking if and he could get an achilles and what he could feed it and some people just went crazy with info overload posts

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I throw questions out there just to start a conversation

Sometimes I throw a thread out there for the same reason. :loco:

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very well put *Golf clap*

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really can't stand the advice spammers on the forum. It's like helpfulness had gone into the crapper. One word responses without logical explanation are not helpful.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really can't stand the advice spammers on the forum. It's like helpfulness had gone into the crapper. One word responses without logical explanation are not helpful.

We're always looking for helpful forum guides! HA!

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading it again I see what you are getting at. I have bumped into a few advise spammers repeatedly lately, and they are starting to urk me. Post count is not everything. And why are some of these people getting awards and stuff for this behavior?

You make a very good point Paul. But I cannot agree that it is well put. ;) (or maybe I am just bad at reading today. LOL)

Last edited:

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very funny, Paul! The last pic I seen of you with your tank, you had a full head of hair. Did the stress from bad reefing advice make you go bald? :bigsmile:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back