I do not give saltwater aquarium advice

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime you have have a open forum you are going to keep getting all sorts of questions. Many of these questions are being are being asked over and over. But you have to remember there are lots of people that are new to the hobby and they are reaching out to us for all the advice we can give them. Sure there are those that give out the wrong advice but they are still contributing to the forum. It will always be that way. I personally don't consider myself a expert but i enjoy reading the post and doing further researce to gain more knowledge. Having had tanks most of my life i have learned alot and if i can help someone wheter they are new or experienced that gives me some satisfaction. The purpose of this forum is to help each other so we can be successfull and enjoy the hobby.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great now I have to find somebody to ask stupid questions instead of on here

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hair? The last pic I seen of you with your tank, you had a full head of hair. Did the stress from bad reefing advice make you go bald?
bigsmile.png

Last edited:

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hair? The last pic I seen of you with your tank, you had a full head of hair. Did the stress from bad reefing advice make you go bald? :bigsmile:
If there ever was a book titled "The History of Home Aquariums", this pic would be in it.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B,

I am amazed by many of the posts asking what fish should I get. I live in Los Angeles with access to more fish than imagineable, and when I go "fishing" I seldom have a plan as to what fish I am going to get. My selections are made based on the quality and health of the fish available.

When I read these 'Pick My Fish' posts from remote places around the country, I wonder how you can choose from fish when you aren't even sure what is available (or healthy) when you go to the actual fish store.

I understand the imagination of a tank with Nemo and Dory, but wonder why sometimes the imagination stops after those requisites are filled.

And the various fish 'police' I understand people trying to advise on the best requirements on the health of a fish. But in my years in this hobby I haven't actually seen a fish outgrow it's tank. (At one point I had a 700g tank with Queensland groupers that were donated to Seaworld)

My father had a 40g reef tank. He kept a yellow tang in that tank for 13 years. In 13 years the fish never out grew the tank, in fact the fish never got over 2". I would imagines that most yellow tangs in the hobby don't have a 3 year lifespan, but people who haven't even been in the hobby for years are telling you a yellow can't go in a small tank. Now I am not saying go out and get a school of Vlamingi and put them in a 40g tank, but at the same time some of the so called 'advice' is a minority opinion that just gets regurgitated over and over again by those interested in the hobby but not experienced in it. (After 13 years my dad broke the tank down for a remodel and the tang went to the LFS)

You've kept your undergravel for 40 years. I ran undergravel in my salt tanks for longer than the majority of hobbyists have been in the hobby. Fish lived just fine in those tanks (and still do in yours).

It would be nice if the advice offered was based on real world experience, and not virtual world reading or lurking, and yet the caveat is that these new hobbyists are still enthusiastic about explaining what the green stuff is on the glass and willing to answer those questions that every beginner asks.

Your post made sense to me, and gave me a chuckle.

Dave B

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B,

I am amazed by many of the posts asking what fish should I get. I live in Los Angeles with access to more fish than imagineable, and when I go "fishing" I seldom have a plan as to what fish I am going to get. My selections are made based on the quality and health of the fish available.

When I read these 'Pick My Fish' posts from remote places around the country, I wonder how you can choose from fish when you aren't even sure what is available (or healthy) when you go to the actual fish store.

I understand the imagination of a tank with Nemo and Dory, but wonder why sometimes the imagination stops after those requisites are filled.

And the various fish 'police' I understand people trying to advise on the best requirements on the health of a fish. But in my years in this hobby I haven't actually seen a fish outgrow it's tank. (At one point I had a 700g tank with Queensland groupers that were donated to Seaworld)

My father had a 40g reef tank. He kept a yellow tang in that tank for 13 years. In 13 years the fish never out grew the tank, in fact the fish never got over 2". I would imagines that most yellow tangs in the hobby don't have a 3 year lifespan, but people who haven't even been in the hobby for years are telling you a yellow can't go in a small tank. Now I am not saying go out and get a school of Vlamingi and put them in a 40g tank, but at the same time some of the so called 'advice' is a minority opinion that just gets regurgitated over and over again by those interested in the hobby but not experienced in it. (After 13 years my dad broke the tank down for a remodel and the tang went to the LFS)

You've kept your undergravel for 40 years. I ran undergravel in my salt tanks for longer than the majority of hobbyists have been in the hobby. Fish lived just fine in those tanks (and still do in yours).

It would be nice if the advice offered was based on real world experience, and not virtual world reading or lurking, and yet the caveat is that these new hobbyists are still enthusiastic about explaining what the green stuff is on the glass and willing to answer those questions that every beginner asks.

Your post made sense to me, and gave me a chuckle.

Dave B

Do you two walk up-hill, in the snow, etc,etc together? I ate grouper once 17 years ago and it made my tummy yucky when I was blah, blah, blah. Grins boys!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back