I do not give saltwater aquarium advice

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I HAVE to do water changes in my 40B? I've got a seaclone skimmer and i've only got two tangs and two triggers.

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I HAVE to do water changes in my 40B? I've got a seaclone skimmer and i've only got two tangs and two triggers.

I've never changed one drop of water as fish and corals "recycle" the nutrients, gosh if I tell one more person that....

Ps. Make sure your sandbed at least 16" deep!

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about attaching a 12oz mini tank to my gold chain necklace and just sporting it when I go out to the club. What kind of tang can I fit in it?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in my years in this hobby I haven't actually seen a fish outgrow it's tank. (At one point I had a 700g tank with Queensland groupers that were donated to Seaworld)

Most fish will not outgrow a tank and I agree with you a yellow tang will not. I have had maybe 2 dozen hippo tangs and they also never outgrew the tank and some I had for 10 years. As a matter of fact, I find hippo tangs to be one of the hardiest fish there is and you have to step on them to kill them, but in my tank, after a number of years they get HLLE which does not kill them but it makes you wish they died.
Anyway some fish will outgrow a tank. I once bought a remora, not the filter, the fish. It was a cute little thing of about 2". In a few months it was a foot long and I gave it to the Coney Island Aquarium. They probably threw it in with their whales as I saw it the next year and it was over 2' long.
Groupers will also outgrow a tank and if you really want to see something grow, throw a flounder from NY harbor in your tank. In a few weeks his head may be in the water but his tail will be slimming up your flat screen TV.
I also always have copperband butterflies in my reef and the one I have now grew a little larger than I would like but they grow much slower in a tank than they do in the sea. In the sea they get about 8" and hippo tangs get larger. I have dove with both fish as I have dove with almost every fish I have ever had, including manta rays, although I limit how many of them I keep because of the Manta Ray police.
Jacks, panther groupers and sweetlips also grow large in smaller tanks, but if you know a fish gets 3' long in the sea, why would you put one in your tank? The "only" reason I never dated Christie Brinkley was that I knew she would some day grow to like 6'10".
That was the "only" reason I never dated her because we all know that I am a real catch and Supermodels really dig bald electrician, fish Geeks. :nod:

Last edited:

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish will not outgrow a tank and I agree with you a yellow tang will not. I have had maybe 2 dozen hippo tangs and they also never outgrew the tank and some I had for 10 years. As a matter of fact, I find hippo tangs to be one of the hardiest fish there is and you have to step on them to kill them, but in my tank, after a number of years they get HLLE which does not kill them but it makes you wish they died.
Anyway some fish will outgrow a tank. I once bought a remora, not the filter, the fish. It was a cute little thing of about 2". In a few months it was a foot long and I gave it to the Coney Island Aquarium. They probably threw it in with their whales as I saw it the next year and it was over 2' long.
Groupers will also outgrow a tank and if you really want to see something grow, throw a flounder from NY harbor in your tank. In a few weeks his head may be in the water but his tail will be slimming up your flat screen TV.
I also always have copperband butterflies in my reef and the one I have now grew a little larger than I would like but they grow much slower in a tank than they do in the sea. In the sea they get about 8" and hippo tangs get larger. I have dove with both fish as I have dove with almost every fish I have ever had, including manta rays, although I limit how many of them I keep because of the Manta Ray police.
Jacks, panther groupers and sweetlips also grow large in smaller tanks, but if you know a fish gets 3' long in the sea, why would you put one in your tank? The "only" reason I never dated Christie Brinkley was that I knew she would some day grow to like 6'10".
That was the "only" reason I never dated her because we all know that I am a real catch and Supermodels really dig bald electrician, fish Geeks. :nod:

A. Paul, I love you!
B. Can we give Paul a plane ticket to Area 51

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boat makes a lot of noise near Area 51. I know it is Groom Lake but you do know there is no water in it. I am not big on deserts.OK, now this is a question that was just asked two days ago on another forum. I know that there are no stupid questions, but some are on the extreme outer rim of being stupid. Here was the question:
Hi, I'm new to the hobby, and looking into reef life. I understand that sea turtle are illegal, so here my Question can a fresh water turtle survive in salt water and with other fishes?
I did answer the question because I know of a salt water turtle called a Diamond Backed Terripin and I see them all the time in a salt water sanctuary but I am sure they are illegal to collect. I mean is it me? I guess some people really don't know why you should not put a freshwater turtle in salt water.I am not sure if there are any turtle police or what size tank you need for a loggerhead turtle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Eagle just hit my house

Now I live in New York 2 miles outside the city limits and we have a lof of birds here. Mostly pigeons, sparrows, robins and smaller birds.
Anyway I am downstairs in the basement and my wife is upstairs cleaning the windows. All of a sudden I hear her scream. But she screams if she sees a big ant, so I figured it was an ant, beatle, spider etc and I get a rag to kill the thing. I go upstairs and she said something big just hit the house.
I said, what, like a plane (we are on the approach to JFK airport.
She said, no, a bird. Now I live in a stone house so the bird would have to be awfully big for you to hear it inside.
She says go outside, (sure, send the fish Geek outside) it is in the gutter on the roof. I go outside and see squirels running for their life and birds of all kinds flying away making a racket and I was expecting to see Rodan (If you are not into Sci Fy forget about that) This eagle is trying to land in my gutter, but it is to big.
Now I have been in Colorado, Arizona and California so I know what an eagle looks like and this thing was an eagle. I am pretty sure it was an Osprey as we do have some of them on the shore around the Long Island Sound where they eat fish, but I never saw one inland and certainly never on my roof.
So the thing looks at me and takes off, it must have had a wingspan of almost 4'. Very cool and not a Long Island Sight.:eyebrows:

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was a great read the things you say I agree with 100% I use to run under gravelled filters in the 70s and 80s myself and found They worked really well for me but sometimes you got to move
with the times which makes things more interesting with your hobby

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to run under gravelled filters in the 70s and 80s myself and found They worked really well
I did also, Oh wait, I still do.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once about 15 years ago I was doing a job in Manhattan on a 60 story building near the Hudson River. We were on maybe the 50th floor and we had the glass out of the window because we were doing an asbestos abatement and we needed to put a fan where the window was. I was standing in the window frame looking out when I saw this huge bird circling. He turned and came in my direction and I figured he was just flying in circles because he didn't know where he was going like a lot of tourists we get in NY. Anyway the thing keeps coming toward me and I am watching thinking he will veer off. Nope, he comes straight for me and when he got about 5' from me, he raised up his wings, which were a good 4 or 5' across, he raised his feet at me and OMG, those talons are huge, and he stopped inches from my face. After I changed my underwear I found out that she has a nest a few floors below and was protecting it. I read about it in the newspaper. Not the part about me, the part about the nest.

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I got from that story is this headline:

"Longtime Reefkeeper Craps Pants At Sight Of Large Creature Covered In Feathers"

or

"Asbestos Workers Has A Bowel Movement 50 Stories Up, EPA To Investigate"

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't give advice unless asked. There are a few reasons for that, first off, I am not the God of fish tanks, second, I don't have the nicest tank between here and Tahiti. Third, there is so much advice given on these forums that it boggles the mind and I would like to say that much of it is wrong advice, but I can't, because as I said, I am not the God of fish tanks.
Fourth, I run an undergravel filter so even I would not take advice from me and my methods are considered just rediculous.
After saying that and after reading so many posts on here I am glad that I don't give advice unless asked. Many posts start out with someone asking an inocuous question like "What should I feed my tang?" The poor guy will unleash a vast plethora of things like, "well you should not put a tang in a tank under 100 gallons, or a tang is an ich magnet so you have to quarantine it for 6 months and feed it garlic while you use hyposalinity on it and feed it nori four times a day at the same time every day. Or Tangs don't ship well so they should be avoided at all costs, or they don't get along with pipefish, or your social security will be cancelled if you get a tang or tangs are Jewish and only eat Kosher food.
Very few people will, if ever just answer the guys question as to what he should feed the thing.
So many threads go like that. Someone will ask "What is this invert" and he will get answers from a sea cucumber to a duck billed platypus.
I especially like when someone asks, "help me decide what fish to put in my tank?" Like, is it me? First of all, who cares what fish you put in your tank? There are hundreds of fish to choose from, pick one. I think you should re phrase the question and ask something like can a percula clown get along with a seahorse or a manta ray. Something specific will get you a better answer. But if you really want to know something, search out someone who has a tank that you admire and maybe has the fish or invert in there that you are interested in. Then try to read his or her threads to see if they seem to have luck with it for a few years (no, not months) then PM the person. That way you will get one answer and most likely a correct answer without all the drama and nonsence mixed with myth.
This is just my opinion and if I offended anyone. You could offend me, (call me bald or something) or you will just have to get over it. :thumb:

Some things never change. Are you the same Paul B from another place? :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back