I don’t know how to manage my nitrates. Anxious.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allot of people run different n03 numbers sure, but shooting for 20 is only one piece of these pros puzzle, there's other pieces that need to fit, so going of a value of 20ppm nitrates doesn't tell you the whole story. So it's the same as saying go for 3-5ppm because the bottle of NeoPhos says so....
That’s true, they also run higher PO4 than the 0.01-0.03. It’s more about the ratio.
Pretty much every one agrees a ULN system will eventually end up starving corals when the load becomes too high.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to keep nitrate at 10ppm and phosphate between 0.03-.0.8 with carbon dosing, dosing Brightwell Neophos as needed. This gives me a little bit of a buffer if they swing one way or another. If my corals start taking up more nitrate than I have available after they start growing more and I add more pieces then I'll continue to carbon dose, but I'll add more brightwell as needed. I've never had a problem with keeping nitrate levels up, so I don't have to dose it now, but I have NeoNitro as well just in case. I am a big believer in the corals being fed from the increased number of bacteria and it's honestly what made me choose this method of nutrient reduction over others. You have to keep pH up as well, imo, since it drops due to the increase in bacteria. It has been proven that acropora have increased calcification rates when the pH is closer to NSW levels. Sure, there are some tanks that look great despite having low pH, but you're never going to do any damage by increasing pH as close to 8.3 as possible. This is the method that I'm using currently for the BC Blood Bank growout and I'm sticking to it until I have a reason not to.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t what? think that zero NO3 and zero PO4 eventually causes SPS stn or death?

Pretty much every one agrees a ULN system will eventually end up starving corals when the load becomes too high.

Well zero yes, but I don't agree a uln system will eventually starve corals when the load becomes to high. It will still have ultra low nutrients, zero is something completely different.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well zero yes, but I don't agree a uln system will eventually starve corals when the load becomes to high. It will still have ultra low nutrients, zero is something completely different.
Fair enough I should have been more specific in my first post.
Trouble is what is the definition of ULN?
Would you agree that with ULN the risk of them bottoming out is a higher risk than a tank with say 10-20 NO3 and 0.05-0.10 PO4?
mind you this is coming from a former No NO3/PO4 guy…

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough I should have been more specific in my first post.
Trouble is what is the definition of ULN?
Would you agree that with ULN the risk of them bottoming out is a higher risk than a tank with say 10-20 NO3 and 0.05-0.10 PO4?
mind you this is coming from a former No NO3/PO4 guy…

ULN :ultra low nutrients. According to the bottles of NeoNitro and Neophos ULN, brightwell is recommending 3-5ppm of nitrates and .02-.04ppm phosphate.
I agree there is a risk there sure, but there's a risk in almost anything involved with the reef system if it's done one way or another or to excess, whats the difference with this.

Honestly high nutrients is just a different way to run a system and it works for many , and when the system evolves into that with time even more so, there are many reasons to run high nutrients , and just as many reasons to run ULN for some people, with no more risks than any other methods, when a system is new it's easier to keep nutrients low, substrate makes a huge difference right so if the system has no problem hitting 0's I wouldn't run high nutrients and fight what the system wants to do, as long as your adding it's not depleted one day it wont need adding and it could switch over to needing removal. Tons of ways to do it and at different stages of the system maturity, you will require different things.

So I agree, there are risks involved to running a ULN system :) ;)

Screenshot_20220920_162016.jpg

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ULN is a tricky term. One system that is ULN may have a huge daily flux of nutrients (AAs, feeding, etc) while another may not; the levels of residual N and P have to be evaluated in context.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Still daily carbon dosing. I added my vodka back to my dosing regime (like before).

I’m getting the nitrate decrease I’m looking for. I haven’t lost ANY acro/clam.

My corals are growing. Everything is happy. Carbon dosing is the best thing since sliced bread lol.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone wants some numbers, I’m sitting at 8.1ppm (Tested yesterday, September 21st, 2022).

My nitrates were 13.7ppm on September 3rd, 2022.

Here’s the graph (the quick dip was likely testing error, unless nitrates can random dip like that for no reason).

18E45F3E-29ED-4141-8901-09395FD5A81A.jpeg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NO3 have gone from 39.9 on 9/3/22 to 19.2 on 9/14/22 with the denitrifier I made. No water changes regular feeding schedule and very minimal carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My NO3 have gone from 39.9 on 9/3/22 to 19.2 on 9/14/22 with the denitrifier I made. No water changes regular feeding schedule and very minimal carbon dosing.
Wow! That sounds like an effective method.

Out of curiosity, how does it wor?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That sounds like an effective method.

Out of curiosity, how does it wor?
I’ll link it again. It works by flowing water through a pre-determined sized (based on your total water volume) tube filled with media. Aerobic bacteria eats the oxygen rich nutrients and within the same tube anaerobic bacteria eat the deoxygenated part of the NO3 that is left and nitrogen gas is the biproduct that gets released into atmosphere. Or something like that. There is small carbon dosing and all blooms happen within the device and not in tank. There are several users on the thread that have had great success.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-mans-nutrients-control-donovans-nitrate-destroyer.302685/

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterdays dt test came back with 13.5ppm slowly goin down and no water changes.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday was 6.1ppm for me. :D
My target is 5 or 6 ppm and then start to adjust dosage and flow on this thing. There have been people who’ve built one that have tuned it to where dosing is not longer needed and they maintain the target they’re looking for and do no water changes. If I can get close to same results, I’m definitely goin with a bigger tank.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll link it again. It works by flowing water through a pre-determined sized (based on your total water volume) tube filled with media. Aerobic bacteria eats the oxygen rich nutrients and within the same tube anaerobic bacteria eat the deoxygenated part of the NO3 that is left and nitrogen gas is the biproduct that gets released into atmosphere. Or something like that. There is small carbon dosing and all blooms happen within the device and not in tank. There are several users on the thread that have had great success.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/poor-mans-nutrients-control-donovans-nitrate-destroyer.302685/
Has anyone ever confirmed these are oxygen deficient? I made a denitrication tower using a massive bubble lamp, long time ago. Did nowt for me but then again I wasn’t carbon dosing it. Dam thing used to clog regularly though but you couldn’t get good cheap dosing pumps like you can today.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever confirmed these are oxygen deficient? I made a denitrication tower using a massive bubble lamp, long time ago. Did nowt for me but then again I wasn’t carbon dosing it. Dam thing used to clog regularly though but you couldn’t get good cheap dosing pumps like you can today.
If you go through the link, Donovan covers all the things you’ve mentioned. Media size matters when it comes to clogging and carbon dosing is required but in smaller amounts. I shoot in straight cheapy vodka and have just one media type, others use 3-4 different types. Give the thread a read. I did mine a lil different. It’s pressurized. I don’t have a sump, I have a tiny AIO. My nutrients have reduced by over 20ppm in a lil over 2 weeks. And I haven’t changed a drop of water.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go through the link, Donovan covers all the things you’ve mentioned. Media size matters when it comes to clogging and carbon dosing is required but in smaller amounts. I shoot in straight cheapy vodka and have just one media type, others use 3-4 different types. Give the thread a read. I did mine a lil different. It’s pressurized. I don’t have a sump, I have a tiny AIO. My nutrients have reduced by over 20ppm in a lil over 2 weeks. And I haven’t changed a drop of water.
Yep, I’m familiar with how they are supposed to work as I was planning on using algae exudates from a turbo charged algae scrubber to be the carbon source, many moons ago. Just not sure the denitrification is taking place as suggested, in anaerobic conditions. It’s just my guess that a small open tank full of bioballs fed with aquarium water and a carbon source would do the same job, without all the faffing about. Obviously, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong though.

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Still daily carbon dosing. I added my vodka back to my dosing regime (like before).

I’m getting the nitrate decrease I’m looking for. I haven’t lost ANY acro/clam.

My corals are growing. Everything is happy. Carbon dosing is the best thing since sliced bread lol.
I would have had suggested a refugium or a sulphur reactor. If carbon dosing is fine, then stay with it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back