I don’t know what’s wrong

kingseo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang recently had ich and I’m currently still treating my main tank with kick-ich pro. I did a water change and a lot of my fish died! I’m left with my tang and a clownfish. My butterfly fish seemed like he had burnt skin, my other clownfish randomly died and my cleaner wrasse just passed after hard breathing for like 1 hour. I don’t know what’s wrong, temperature is at 76, light is on for 8 hours, it’s a 75g and I don’t know what’s happening.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang recently had ich and I’m currently still treating my main tank with kick-ich pro. I did a water change and a lot of my fish died! I’m left with my tang and a clownfish. My butterfly fish seemed like he had burnt skin, my other clownfish randomly died and my cleaner wrasse just passed after hard breathing for like 1 hour. I don’t know what’s wrong, temperature is at 76, light is on for 8 hours, it’s a 75g and I don’t know what’s happening.
1, kick ich doens't really do much treatment for ich is to QT remaining fish w copper.

2. params and tank age?

3. are you sure its ich?

4. pics of fish?

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup not going to do much with that "medicine".

Need to pull the fish and treat with copper in QT and leave the tank fallow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will need more info such as Nitrate and ammonia levels, age of the tank, If possible.. . Pics of tank and current fish under white lighting.
Are they eating?
Are they breathing normal or labored?
Ant lethargic behavior, scratching?

Kich ich by kordon is more of a low level treatment and not very effective . You want copper product which I know is limited in Canada such as copper sulfate.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures/video are essential for an accurate diagnosis. However, once fish loss has occurred, it is difficult to get any treatment started in time to save the remaining fish.

Kick Ich is made with 5-Nitroimidazole, which should work against marine ich. but very often fails. My suspicion is that they use a very low dose in order to make the medication "reef safe" and in doing so, it makes it mostly "ich safe" as well. This class of drugs is related to metronidazole which is not as effective against ich as copper or hyposalinity is.

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back