I ****ed up and netted my puffer

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a blue spot puffer earlier today. It was out and about at the LFS and seemed in pretty good shape (I forgot to ask them to feed the fish before I got it, but they said it was eating fine when they called me a week ago that it arrived). I performed my normal acclimation process of 15 minute float in QT to temp acclimate followed by a fast drip acclimation (30 minutes 10x volume increase) and netted the puffer and the flame into the quarantine.

I did not realize until after I had done this that netting and exposing to air a puffer is a HUGE NO-NO. It didn't appear to inflate, so that is a plus, but it has been hiding in the corner for the past 6 hours and did not eat. It gave a mildly interested look at one piece of mysis but made no attempt to catch anything.

I am probably just over-reacring and the fish is just too stressed to eat today and will be fine tomorrow, but Im worried I may have damaged the puffer from that air exposure and netting. Any recommendations to save this guy? Is there a specific kind of live food that might coax him into eating?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, hopefully fine, new surroundings, whole move, will be fine with no food for a day or two.
just keep a close eye on, but try not to "hover" let it settle,
if any probs come back here... :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back