OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no. I’m not touching that. I don’t want to accidentally damage the unit. I’m not going to try to fix ATI’s faulty unit. They will either repair or replace this unit.

This is where I draw the line. I really appreciate your help. I learned a lot!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just that I don’t know what capping means, and I paid 800+ per unit…it needs to be working with all features. This is unacceptable for me. It’s ok. ATI is a good company

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just that I don’t know what capping means, and I paid 800+ per unit…it needs to be working with all features. This is unacceptable for me. It’s ok. ATI is a good company
Good luck with this! These units are awesome IMO. And ATI is a solid company. They will get you rolling.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Etafilcon A, monomer used to produce contact lenses. It’s cooked in that tunnel between two plastic molds. Then the molds are pried apart using IR. A whole lot more to the process but it’s the early stages of a contact lens.
Wowzers! Cool! Looks like a troubleshooting nightmare but I LOVE THOSE!!!!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capping is just industry terminology for insulating the wire. Whether with a wire nut or electrical tape. And I highly agree. I seen the price of those. At that price you EXPECT for it to work flawlessly. You’ve gotten same results with different lamps correct? The manufacturer will most likely ask you that to try and push the problem back on your end.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wowzers! Cool! Looks like a troubleshooting nightmare but I LOVE THOSE!!!!
The entire line is about 65 meters long and 15 meters wide. Contains multiple sumitomo injection molding machines, Mitsubishi and yaskawa, robots. With a big mix of Allen Bradley and Siemens plcs all riding on top of… APT. It’s a nightmare sometimes.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no. I’m not touching that. I don’t want to accidentally damage the unit. I’m not going to try to fix ATI’s faulty unit. They will either repair or replace this unit.

This is where I draw the line. I really appreciate your help. I learned a lot!
My pleasure. Sucks that this bump in the road showed up for ya. Hope you can get this resolved!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Capping is just industry terminology for insulating the wire. Whether with a wire nut or electrical tape. And I highly agree. I seen the price of those. At that price you EXPECT for it to work flawlessly. You’ve gotten same results with different lamps correct? The manufacturer will most likely ask you that to try and push the problem back on your end.
Yes. I ordered 2 of these units and the other one is working perfectly. I completely switched the bulbs between both units and this unit is still giving problems while the other unit is working. It’s 100% this unit and 100% NOT from overheating.

How do you think ATI will fix this? Do I have to send them the fixture or will they tell me what to do over the phone? Whatever is quicker is what I hope.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The entire line is about 65 meters long and 15 meters wide. Contains multiple sumitomo injection molding machines, Mitsubishi and yaskawa, robots. With a big mix of Allen Bradley and Siemens plcs all riding on top of… APT. It’s a nightmare sometimes.
Sounds like a nightmare. I’m Sure it’s satisfying when you repair it when it’s broke!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure. Sucks that this bump in the road showed up for ya. Hope you can get this resolved!
It’s ok! I gained knowledge, developed resiliency, learned about electricity, learned that light designers SUCK, and got to speak to awesome people on here (you!)

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I ordered 2 of these units and the other one is working perfectly. I completely switched the bulbs between both units and this unit is still giving problems while the other unit is working. It’s 100% this unit and 100% NOT from overheating.

How do you think ATI will fix this? Do I have to send them the fixture or will they tell me what to do over the phone? Whatever is quicker is what I hope.
I have zero experience with ATI so I’m not sure what advise to give you on them. It may be something as simple as a setting being tweaked. I’m almost certain that it’s a hardware issue at this point seeing that you’ve checked all connection points. Good luck man!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s ok! I gained knowledge, developed resiliency, learned about electricity, learned that light designers SUCK, and got to speak to awesome people on here (you!)
Main take away......light designers suck lol!!!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few ways to diagnose and fix it. They will hopefully be willing to walk you through.

like you said, you are learning a lot and some new skills.

the wiring is pretty simple and safe. As an example, if needed, you can easily bypass the dimmers and swap ballasts around to target the issue. Not saying you should do this now, but at the end of the day it might be your quickest solution.

the whole system is basic and simple. Easy to replace each component.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI USA is awesome and will stand by their product. They’ll probably try and walk you through some stuff but if you’re not willing then probably send it back for repair.
As mentioned above it’ll be easy to rule out/bypass the dimmer. Best of luck and well done, you went farther than most would!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m betting ATI won’t touch it now that it’s been opened and messed with, could be wrong but I bet you may have voided any warranty that was available.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m betting ATI won’t touch it now that it’s been opened and messed with, could be wrong but I bet you may have voided any warranty that was available.
I don’t think so. There would be some type of sticker so they could tell if you slid it open if they were that worried about it.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this part doesn’t need to be mentioned on the call lol.
I don’t think so. There would be some type of sticker so they could tell if you slid it open if they were that worried about it.
but I kinda agree with @Smite. There’s been plenty of fixtures I’ve tried to get working that have been warrantied when we couldn’t get the issue resolved.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the problem. ATI support emailed me and said it’s because of overheating. I’m supposed to rotate one the units backwards because the exhaust is blowing into the other unit which is causing it to blink. When I opened the canopy doors it stopped blinking. And when I tested them outside the tank they worked too. Also the unit only blinks after it’s been running for some time.

The only problem is trying to adjust the settings while the unit is backwards. That might be very difficult, but I’ll only set it one time and it’ll be good to go!

Im very happy now. Also, my younger brother surprised me with this massive blue tang. It’s literally 10 years old. I’ll have to show pictures, but I don’t think my tank is big enough for it.

Thank you guys. I needed to learn that taking a break is best even though I want to keep working on the tank.
Glad it worked out

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this part doesn’t need to be mentioned on the call lol.

but I kinda agree with @Smite. There’s been plenty of fixtures I’ve tried to get working that have been warrantied when we couldn’t get the issue resolved.
Good job @olonmv , @Smite And the other electricians on the thread in helping him out. I was out at a dinner party and wondering how this would all shake out. Solid advice throughout.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job @olonmv , @Smite And the other electricians on the thread in helping him out. I was out at a dinner party and wondering how this would all shake out. Solid advice throughout.
Thank you sir, I was wondering if you’d chime in. Would have been really cool to have helped get @Miami Reef in working order!!! @Miami Reef, can you update us with your resolution?

Back