I find it real funny about the concerns with this fish

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2016
Messages
2,804
Reaction score
2,023
Location
Rochester, MN
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have had a red corris wrasse around 5 in for 4-5 months. I hear these guys can be real buttheads. But he is one of the coolest/super shy fish I have owned. He keeps his distance from everyone and only comes out for 3-4 hours a day. When he is out he is picking at the rocks and hanging out with my melenarus wrasse. I just want to say that this fish is not all that bad at all and he has yet to eat a snail or crab.
 
5" is still pretty small. He will get up to 15" and pretty soon he'll start flipping rocks.
 
I thought he was only getting to 8in in captivity. Also the rocks are glued together im pretty sure he will have a very hard time flipping the rocks.
 
My red coris is about 6 to 7 inches and acts just like yours, although he is out for 12 hours a day.
 
4-5 months with a small juvenile is hardly enough time to gauge a fish that is notorious for becoming a monster over time.
 
In the defense of the red Cori's, I don't find them terribly aggressive, just annoying with flipping rocks and corals and burying things in sand.
 
They are stunning as adults. If I had a huge tank.......

Took these pics a couple of years ago off the Kona coast.
Red Coris Wrasse (1 of 1).jpg


unkown Coris Wrassse 3 (1 of 1).jpg
 
he has the coloration of an adult though.
They can have the adult coloration at a small size. I've seen 2.5" specimens with male cors. They still keep growing.
 
oh wow what a beauty. Well he is in my biggest tank I have which is a 180 so if he outgrows that he will have to go. The funny thing is if you walk by the tank and he is out and you scare him he wont come out the rest of the day lol. So I try to leave the tank be when full lights are on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new