I found an old TV stand and this is my DIY Equipment Cabinet question/build thread.

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put a partition between the sump/ATO area and the dosing/outlet/storage section or run a brace on the underside of the top of the entertainment center. It is already starting to sag under its own weight. It will get worse with time. Humidity from the sump and spray from the return and skimmer will accelerate it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think the sag that is there was present when I bought it. Probably a too heavy TV from the previous owner. I will run a board from front to back and make a couple of vertical supports.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1x2 run from side to side would support it.

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Keep it up. Just have to do enough to keep it sturdy since no weight will be on the top of this stand. As far as plumbing, stick with hard pvc for overflow, emergency overflow and for most of the return. Only tubing I would use is a barb on the pump to a barn onto return line to isolate vibration. IMO use braided tubing to prevent collapse of the tubing (doubt it would be an issue but hey, it could avoid it even in the slightest). You can run the pvc for what ever size the overflow accepts. Then use a gate valve on the overflow to tune the water flow to match the pump. Or if the pump is adjustable, you set it to where you want your flow and then dial everything in.

Thanks. I've been around PVC when it's been worked on, but I have never done it. Looks simple enough and it's cheap!
The pump I have is a 350 gph pump. It does have a dial to adjust return flow, and I am hopeful I can use it. I am already a bit over budget on this (Merry Christmas to me?). The vertical distance isn't great, but I know there will be some head pressure, too. I think the overflow box is rated at 200 goh and my pump is 350, but is adjustable.

Today I braced the center and caulked all the holes I could find. The top is nice and straight now. I also got to use it to straghten out the shelf leg that as not square.
IMG_20181220_121728.jpg

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this has been frustrating. I caught atypical pneumonia on Christmas Day and have been in bed until last Friday. No fun and no work on the project. I am on the mend and hope to get the cabinet primed and painted this weekend. I also had all my equipment come in. I have the acrylic panels for my DIY sump, the skimmer, and the nano overflow box

I am reading some conflicting information on DIY sumps and have some questions. I hope to have a skimmer section, a fuge/ATO sensor, and a return section. I can hide my heater pretty well in my main tank, but may see if it can fit.
  • I have read that it is better to have the water flower over the first barrier from the skimmer section into the fuge section. I have also read it is better for the water to seep under the first barrier into the fuge area. Does this matter?
  • I have also read that the larger the return section, the easier it is on your pump, but I'm only working with a 10 gallon tank. How much 'buffer room' should I leave for the skimmer and pump but still maximize my fuge section?
I went ahead and put my new skimmer in the back of the tank to let it break in while I work on these other things. It's a nano skimmer and seems to be working well--running a bit wet, but that's to be expected with a new one. I think once I get the ATO dialed in, I can be more precise with its setting.

My order of priority for what needs to be done is 1) paint/seal stand, 2) Get Sump up and going, 3) ATO, 4) Doser.
Baby steps and Happy New Year to all who are keeping up!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back