I got a quick palytoxin question...

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a giant colony of pipe organ coral, and as I inspected it at home, I saw the head of a nasty brown paly. I have always made an attempt to avoid those at all cost, with the exception of a few zoas. Should I be concerned about being exposed to the toxin in the future?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,always handle w caution,better safe than sorry,if just one on skeleton ,may be able to just crack off ,and dispose of if not wanted :)

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I crack it off, won’t it release the toxin?? And can the toxin infect my bare hands, cus I normally wear gloves, but I was out and didn’t think anything about it

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I crack it off, won’t it release the toxin?? And can the toxin infect my bare hands, cus I normally wear gloves, but I was out and didn’t think anything about it
I wouldn't worry about running out to the hospital or anything but I would dispose of the paly before it takes over your tank!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just leave it- disturbing it causes the risk. The slime coating that covers Paly’s & Zoas is where the toxin is likely to be present and greatest risk is exposure to air or damage and contact with skin
I say its safe but if it is the only one and you want it gone, mix kalkwasser powder into a paste. . . like toothpaste and inject through a pipette over it and the cells should shut down making it harmless and it may even wither away. Its the mishandling that poses toxin risk

Last edited:

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not as serious as you are thinking. I dont suggest it but I dont ever use gloves cut them glue them no problems. I would try like the other suggestion and crack it off.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Palytoxin is nothing to mess with. When I got it, it was because I had small cuts on my fingers and handled a big colony of them. Where gloves and get rid of it... just to be on the safe side.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes- Do Not
Highest risk occurs when:
  • Removing frags
  • Fragging
  • Removing corals next to Paly’s & Zoas or removing the paly itself

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not as serious as you are thinking. I dont suggest it but I dont ever use gloves cut them glue them no problems. I would try like the other suggestion and crack it off.
It really depends on the type.. A good portion of the zoaz and palys don't have Palytoixn. However, there are large brown, brown green ones that do. It can be very serious.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sense it’s in the colony of pipe organ, will it be overgrown, or stung to death?? That’s what I would prefer to happen.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just don't touch the thing with your bare hands, or burn/boil/etc it. It won't ooze toxin into the water or anything. Goggles are a good idea if you plan to remove it from the water and actively work with it, they can (though somewhat rarely do) squirt water when exposed to air. You don't want paly water in your eye.

You should always wear gloves when handling anything skeletal or rocky in your reef tank. There can be hidden sharp edges, and the bacteria potentially on those edges are far more threatening than palytoxin.

That said, brown palys are often invasive, and can be one of the really nasty-toxic ones. If you want to remove it, see if you can use a pair of bone cutters to cut off whatever it's attached to. If that won't work, take the whole pipe organ out of the water, wait for the paly to fully retract, and put liquid superglue over it. It'll be trapped and die. Works on aiptasia, too, and superglue won't hurt any other corals it happens to touch.

I don't think pipe organ has much of a sting to it, and palys are more likely to overgrow other corals than be overgrown. I wouldn't expect it to get crowded out.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the type.. A good portion of the zoaz and palys don't have Palytoixn. However, there are large brown, brown green ones that do. It can be very serious.

Nevermind my OP just realized what was asked never trust the browns or yellows stringy ones they are a no go. gloves and goggles are a must. Be very careful.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sense it’s in the colony of pipe organ, will it be overgrown, or stung to death?? That’s what I would prefer to happen.
From pipe organ - likely not.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a picture?

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get a good picture, one: it’s on a weird angle, and two: it is very small. I’m not that worried about it, I just don’t like having the chance of that being in my tank. I never use my hands if they have cuts, and I’m going to buy some more gloves. Is it a safe option to leave it?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't use your bare hands on rock, coral skeleton, or similar, period. Most of the time it's fine, but if you get cut by something you didn't see on the rock, it can be a serious problem.

Yes, it's completely safe to have in your tank as long as you don't rub the paly on your skin, put its particles into the air via boiling or violent scrubbing, or remove it from the tank and aim it directly at your eye after it's had a chance to grow bigger. Basic safety precautions.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will just leave it. And thanks for letting me know the dangers of not wearing the gloves, glad I’m aware now. Good news, there is a fuzzy mushroom that tagged along on the pipe organ, can’t wait to see how it turns out. I’m really hoping the pally doesn’t do well, but if it does, I’m leaving it alone. I’ll wear gloves, and the pipe is so big, it won’t ever leave the water. Thanks for all the help!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem. I'm certainly not saying that handling live rock with your bare hands is guaranteed to hurt you or anything, it's just that it does carry a tiny risk of some nasty bacteria. And a somewhat larger risk of unpleasant cuts, bristleworm stings, and so on. Gloves are good!

And it doesn't hurt to have a little extra protection against getting stuff from your hands in the water. You might have lotions, soap, or something you've touched lately on your skin that could get into your tank. Corals don't like that sort of thing very much.

Fuzzy mushrooms are cool. Hope it does well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back