I GOT A WARTSKIN ANGLER!!!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my feeder shrimp arrived dead or are too big. So I think I’m gonna get like a 100 count of freshwater ghost shrimp and a couple guppies and set up a freshwater tank for feeders.

I was going to suggest this, because that's what always happens. The variety if ghost shrimp in the lfs actially live in fresh brqckish, and salt. They travel better and live better in fresh. There are still going to be die off, I actually go to a lfs just a few miles from my house twice a week for ghosties and guppies. I'm feeding 11 venomous predators though, I have a tank for ghosties znd guppies, andbone for mollies. A simple set up with a sponge filter is all you need.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest this, because that's what always happens. The variety if ghost shrimp in the lfs actially live in fresh brqckish, and salt. They travel better and live better in fresh. There are still going to be die off, I actually go to a lfs just a few miles from my house twice a week for ghosties and guppies. I'm feeding 11 venomous predators though, I have a tank for ghosties znd guppies, andbone for mollies. A simple set up with a sponge filter is all you need.
Fantastic! I think my angler is about 1.25 inches or so. And the people at pet smart said that their ghost shrimp are about 1 in, is that too big? I’m definitely gonna try to teach the warty to eat frozen, saw a great post about using clear rigid airline tubing with some fishing line at the end. I’m gonna try that after I get him full on some live food. I’m getting some ribbon eels too though, and I think it will be good to take your advice and set up a little freshwater feeder tank just in case they struggle to accept frozen when I get them.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post a link to some my post regarding feeding later. While supplementing anglers with dezdvfood is fine, and getting them to take dead food may also come in handy if you can't get live. The problem of not only getting them to eat dead long term, it's about providing them the food that is necesary for long term nutrition. It is almost impossible, the lack of vit B1, E , and efa's; as aell as the abundance of thiaminese.

I wrote a thread on ribbon eels, search the scientific name and you'll find it. For long term success, this eel will do very well to have live mollies included in their diet.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post a link to some my post regarding feeding later. While supplementing anglers with dezdvfood is fine, and getting them to take dead food may also come in handy if you can't get live. The problem of not only getting them to eat dead long term, it's about providing them the food that is necesary for long term nutrition. It is almost impossible, the lack of vit B1, E , and efa's; as aell as the abundance of thiaminese.

I wrote a thread on ribbon eels, search the scientific name and you'll find it. For long term success, this eel will do very well to have live mollies included in their diet.
Ok. Will definitely supplement with live food long term for both the warty and the ribbon eels. My whole display tank is built around keeping the ribbon eels happy. I will check out your thread about the ribbons, I’m sure it’s got a ton of valuable information. I just wanna train them to be able to accept frozen food so if I ever run out of live food I can use frozen until I get more.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I feed the warty gut loaded adult brine shrimp? I think he might be too small to eat much else for a while.

You might be able to get him to eat those, I would use a pipette or baster and squirt some towards him. I'll find my old warty post, he was literally just a bit bigger than the end of my thumb, it was hard, but I was able to harvest out some small ghosties. Amphipods, not copepods, but the big would be a good starter food. Everything is so expensive now, I used to get those from Aquarium Depot.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to get him to eat those, I would use a pipette or baster and squirt some towards him. I'll find my old warty post, he was literally just a bit bigger than the end of my thumb, it was hard, but I was able to harvest out some small ghosties. Amphipods, not copepods, but the big would be a good starter food. Everything is so expensive now, I used to get those from Aquarium Depot.
Ok, I’m gonna order some adult brine shrimp and try that. Hopefully they come in alive.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might even try regular copepods, although really too small, it may mean the difference from starving.

If you have to spend the money on ordering something, amphipods would be a better choice. I've never seen brine accepted, but that doesn't mean they won't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might even try regular copepods, although really too small, it may mean the difference from starving.
Could I just order copepods or amphipods? Or would they come in much too small and need to be cultured further with phyto?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I just order copepods or amphipods? Or would they come in much too small and need to be cultured further with phyto?

What I would do, 1st off trying to get guppies or ghosties small enough. Lfs will carry copepods in the refrigerator section, I would try that. If I had to spend the money on shipping, I would get actuall amphipods. I'm not sure if where you ordered your ghosties has those. When I raised cuttlefish, I would get the copepod/amphipod combo from Aquarium Depot. You may also try a target feed using a pipette or baster with PE mysis. While they can go a while without eating, they do pass a threshold and then will not ever eat. So it is important to get him eating. Some one mentioned cherry shrimp, I don't believe they are the ideal food, but if you have access, I would even try those.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would do, 1st off trying to get guppies or ghosties small enough. Lfs will carry copepods in the refrigerator section, I would try that. If I had to spend the money on shipping, I would get actuall amphipods. I'm not sure if where you ordered your ghosties has those. When I raised cuttlefish, I would get the copepod/amphipod combo from Aquarium Depot. You may also try a target feed using a pipette or baster with PE mysis. While they can go a while without eating, they do pass a threshold and then will not ever eat. So it is important to get him eating. Some one mentioned cherry shrimp, I don't believe they are the ideal food, but if you have access, I would even try those.
My local lfs’s are petco and pet smart, so that’s a no go, unless they have super small Ghosties, which I will look and see . I ordered some adult brine shrimp. If neither of those works I’ll try copepods or amphipods and mysis. Right now the angler is in a bare bottom 10 gallon. Should I put sand and more rock in there to make him more comfortable? Or should I just leave it so he can get used to it as is?

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to know about anglerfish.

I’ve had one in QT since April 24th. This is my first anglerfish. (Though I have had eels successfully in the past.)

I used a lot of the same water from my big display tank… which I just lost two tangs and a cleaner wrasse to what appears to be a combination of diseases. The anglerfish was looking a bit sluggish and not interested in anything moving around it. It still had a lot of color so I knew it was not dead.

So I treated the anglerfish with a heavy dose in a small cup with rally pro and kick-ich in low salinity. While it was in the concentrated dose cup, it became pretty active and regurgitated one of the feeder shrimp, which might’ve been a little too big in the first place. then it kinda looked fine and active for a while hanging out in the concentrated cup for an hour…which was a half an hour longer than intended due to my panicking and changing out the QT tank water and waiting for the temperature to get to the safe zone. It went from looking like it was dead by staying perfectly still and barely breathing to breathing long and deeply. I did my best to keep it from swallowing air. If it did, it was really small bubbles. Any tips or pointers other than a huge smack with a clue-by-4?

Attachments

• BA7D3F8E-9C47-47AF-A574-C5D076DFC5A9.jpeg
    BA7D3F8E-9C47-47AF-A574-C5D076DFC5A9.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 36
  • C853683A-28E8-4233-939D-F8B287B4FEA7.jpeg
    C853683A-28E8-4233-939D-F8B287B4FEA7.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 00DB424E-15BB-4465-9ECD-244600B9F06A.jpeg
    00DB424E-15BB-4465-9ECD-244600B9F06A.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7819.MOV
    14.1 MB
OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to know about anglerfish.

I’ve had one in QT since April 24th. This is my first anglerfish. (Though I have had eels successfully in the past.)

I used a lot of the same water from my big display tank… which I just lost two tangs and a cleaner wrasse to what appears to be a combination of diseases. The anglerfish was looking a bit sluggish and not interested in anything moving around it. It still had a lot of color so I knew it was not dead.

So I treated the anglerfish with a heavy dose in a small cup with rally pro and kick-ich in low salinity. While it was in the concentrated dose cup, it became pretty active and regurgitated one of the feeder shrimp, which might’ve been a little too big in the first place. then it kinda looked fine and active for a while hanging out in the concentrated cup for an hour…which was a half an hour longer than intended due to my panicking and changing out the QT tank water and waiting for the temperature to get to the safe zone. It went from looking like it was dead by staying perfectly still and barely breathing to breathing long and deeply. I did my best to keep it from swallowing air. If it did, it was really small bubbles. Any tips or pointers other than a huge smack with a clue-by-4?
I would just hope for the best at this point, generally what people have told me is that they do very poorly with any type of medication. I would just try keeping his water very clean, waste shoudnt be a huge problem because they are very low waste animals. Maybe try fattening him up on some guppies or mollies, small ones. I feed my angler a small molly about once every 3 days, he seems to be doing fantastic. I wish you the best of luck! I’m in this journey with you, this is my first angler.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back