I GOT A WARTSKIN ANGLER!!!

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I impulse bought a wartskin anglerfish (I think there is a few left- LiveAquaria)! Very excited. Long term, after qt, I plan to put him in a tank all alone, plumbed into my big display system. LiveAquaria says 20 gallons, but it seems like they are pretty small and not very active. Any chance I could put him in a 10 gal? Or even a 7.5 gal? If not it’s totally okay, I’ll just aquascape minimally to make him super visible. Thinking about doing just some nps corals and gorgonians in the angler tank. Any tips about keeping the anglers? I got feeder shrimp on the way and also food to transition it too. I’m gonna qt him in a little 10 gallon all on his own.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say a wart skin would do fine for at the very least a few years in a 10 gallon. At the LFS I worked at we kept a full grown one in a JBJ 10 gallon for at least a year and half until we sold it. The fish did very well in the time span.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say a wart skin would do fine for at the very least a few years in a 10 gallon. At the LFS I worked at we kept a full grown one in a JBJ 10 gallon for at least a year and half until we sold it. The fish did very well in the time span.
Ok, awesome! I’m thinking of just getting a little 30 gallon and sectioning a third off with some aqua mesh and having a clown pair in there, and keeping the wartskin in the other 2/3 of the tank maybe with a little fu Manchu lion fish.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, awesome! I’m thinking of just getting a little 30 gallon and sectioning a third off with some aqua mesh and having a clown pair in there, and keeping the wartskin in the other 2/3 of the tank maybe with a little fu Manchu lion fish.
That would be a pretty cool idea! Good look with the fu Manchu. They’re notoriously difficult. If you get one try and keep the lighting low in the tank for the first few days

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I wanted the freckled one. Is it still their? That and a leaf fish. Maybe a toadfish. Lol.
Seriously i ended up going through nyaquatic for 3 fish.
D
I think I ended up grabbing one of the last ones they've had for a while (if you are talking about Diver's Den that is). It was labeled as Antennatus coccineus, but I'm pretty sure its an Antennatus nummifer. Neat little guy, I'm treating it with antibiotics though, hopefully it makes it.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be a pretty cool idea! Good look with the fu Manchu. They’re notoriously difficult. If you get one try and keep the lighting low in the tank for the first few days
Maybe no fu Manchu then, think I could get away with a large jawfish instead, will it get chomped?

thanks

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe no fu Manchu then, think I could get away with a large jawfish instead, will it get chomped?

thanks
Tbh I’m not totally sure but I’d honestly think it would be fine. Jawfish usually just hang out in their cave most of the time so the angler would probably have a hard time getting at it. Another possibility is a waspfish of some sort

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks
The jawfish would have to be significantly larger. They can sometimes try to eat things that are even slightly larger than them because their stomach can expand into huge sizes. If you could get a fish large enough to be guaranteed to not be eaten by a frogfish, you wouldn't be able to keep it in less than 20 gallons. I imagine a larger eel might be okay, but I have no clue to be honest.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jawfish would have to be significantly larger. They can sometimes try to eat things that are even slightly larger than them because their stomach can expand into huge sizes. If you could get a fish large enough to be guaranteed to not be eaten by a frogfish, you wouldn't be able to keep it in less than 20 gallons. I imagine a larger eel might be okay, but I have no clue to be honest.
Would big inverts be okay? Like arrow crabs or decorator crabs? Ide imagine same deal applies, they gotta be much bigger than the angler fish to avoid becoming a meal. If I can get my hands on a small snowflake moray or dwarf moray I might put him in with the angler.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I’m not totally sure but I’d honestly think it would be fine. Jawfish usually just hang out in their cave most of the time so the angler would probably have a hard time getting at it. Another possibility is a waspfish of some sort
True, micro predator tank would be awesome

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! It’s something I thought about doing before. Waspfish are pretty interesting creatures too
Ide actually never heard of them until you mentioned them, beautiful little fish. I could also see maybe putting a scorpionfish?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ide actually never heard of them until you mentioned them, beautiful little fish. I could also see maybe putting a scorpionfish?
Yeah I think that would be fine. The Japanese waspfish stay pretty small and are slightly more active than an angler. I’ve never seen a cockatoo waspfish in person but In videos they look very interesting

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think that would be fine. The Japanese waspfish stay pretty small and are slightly more active than an angler. I’ve never seen a cockatoo waspfish in person but In videos they look very interesting
Just checked em out, they look super cool. I’m gonna keep an eye out on the divers den for a tank mate for the wartskin

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back