I got my new tank! FiRe's 120g Rimless

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank FireBreather!

Having a 120 myself I was curious about some things you have going on, I hope you won't mind answering a few questions.....

How are you keeping the back glass so clean ?

Are you using just a single Vortech for all your flow needs inside the tank ? (not including return pump)

Are you using any Carbon or GFO and if so passively in a bag or do you have a reactor somewhere ??

Are you using the 20L for a sump or did you go custom ?? I use a 20L as a sump on a 40B and it was hard to find a skimmer with a small enough footprint to fit into a 10" compartment - what skimmer are you using for a 120 ?? (it appears its doing a great job - no algae ? )

What sort of cleanup crew are you using ??

What is your water change schedule and how do you accomplish it ?? .....logistics are tough if you don't have a "fishroom" with RO/DI and salt mixing, etc...etc...etc....

Lastly, are you concerned at all about future needs or "issues" of a "mixed" reef ?? I'm talking about dosing, coral warfare, coral death, trimming/fragging for room, non compatible fish additions, an anemone for those clowns, and I'm sure there are many others.....

The reason I ask that last question is I went out and started to populate my tank based upon a grand scheme, it now appears to me that my grand scheme failed to take into account many of the things I'm asking you about. I am very interested to know how or if you are planning to address these things so I can help figure out what I want to do with mine.

For example, I bought my setup used and it came with some very pretty Superman mushrooms and a single anemone, today I have got 5 anemones, several large rocks of mushrooms with more coming, and I'm constantly battling my fish/cuc for the rights to place my smaller frags where I want them. Needless to say that wasn't in the grand scheme of things..... :)

Thank you for your time, if this takes your thread off topic or is inappropriate please feel free to PM me and I'll ask the MODs to delete my post. Thanks

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I will def respond to your posts guys! I have to run out, tonight is the midnight for God Of War 3.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful reef, was a lot of fun checking out the pics. Thanks!

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is coming along so nice. really like what you have done.i see your running 2x150s. where is your red planet placed and do you run your t5 all day long? i have the same unit and would love to hear your comments on this. your corals look awesome !!

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally posting some current photos of my tank! I took them last night.

101208ftst54615.jpg

Actinic LED testing. So far I like the result so I will be replacing them with high power crees in a DIY kit from Reef Led Lights
101208ftsactinic4623.jpg

and I made a new video, def not my best work and was rushed.

[YOUTUBE]TvGLf87VxhA[/YOUTUBE]

responding to you guys now. only took 9 months

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is coming along so nice. really like what you have done.i see your running 2x150s. where is your red planet placed and do you run your t5 all day long? i have the same unit and would love to hear your comments on this. your corals look awesome !!

its between 2x 150s pretty much at the top, I have seen the coral do different things with its colors with diff bulbs such as fiji purple but I always maintained 14k Pgold MH.

Great looking tank FireBreather!

Having a 120 myself I was curious about some things you have going on, I hope you won't mind answering a few questions.....

How are you keeping the back glass so clean ?

a scraping wand, not the most fun.....

Are you using just a single Vortech for all your flow needs inside the tank ? (not including return pump)

until the most recent photos it was a single vortech mp40w and a small K1 (useless) in the back right. Now I have two mp40w ES and its perfect!

Are you using any Carbon or GFO and if so passively in a bag or do you have a reactor somewhere ??

GFO reactor below swapped out monthly. I use a bout 2in to four inchs.

Are you using the 20L for a sump or did you go custom ?? I use a 20L as a sump on a 40B and it was hard to find a skimmer with a small enough footprint to fit into a 10" compartment - what skimmer are you using for a 120 ?? (it appears its doing a great job - no algae ? )

Custom 30, you dont wanna know what skimmer im running (or lack thereof, cheap point of sale) LOL
But the sump was designed for an ATB 840 that just needs to be aquired now.

What sort of cleanup crew are you using ??

3x mexi turbos each sized differently, 1x redfooted snail, and i think somehow there is still a blue legged hermit somewhere in there.

What is your water change schedule and how do you accomplish it ?? .....logistics are tough if you don't have a "fishroom" with RO/DI and salt mixing, etc...etc...etc....

did you see what I put in my laundry room? a real space saver but functional and cheap. I do WChanges once in a while. no firm schedule. typically every two weeks.

Lastly, are you concerned at all about future needs or "issues" of a "mixed" reef ?? I'm talking about dosing, coral warfare, coral death, trimming/fragging for room, non compatible fish additions, an anemone for those clowns, and I'm sure there are many others.....

coral warfare I pick and choose very picky what goes in the tank. I am not too concerned as the only thing that gives trouble is the RBTA.
The layout of the tank was designed for the achilles mainly and servicing. the middle piece in the center is the only nonserviceable piece in the tank but I can trim easily so I didnt care that it wasnt. The Magnetic frag shelves from the alternative reef allow me easy access to all the other pieces.

The reason I ask that last question is I went out and started to populate my tank based upon a grand scheme, it now appears to me that my grand scheme failed to take into account many of the things I'm asking you about. I am very interested to know how or if you are planning to address these things so I can help figure out what I want to do with mine.

im sorry this has been so long till I responded, my life got turned upside down so things were goofy for me for a long time and I am now trying to come back to the hobby like I used to be.

For example, I bought my setup used and it came with some very pretty Superman mushrooms and a single anemone, today I have got 5 anemones, several large rocks of mushrooms with more coming, and I'm constantly battling my fish/cuc for the rights to place my smaller frags where I want them. Needless to say that wasn't in the grand scheme of things..... :)

mushrooms I tell people are the only thing I really dont care for, they can become a pita and really random in your tank if they get out of control and hard to irradicate. thats why I keep them limited to yumas and rics and most on the rock I call, "the 3:10 to yuma"

Thank you for your time, if this takes your thread off topic or is inappropriate please feel free to PM me and I'll ask the MODs to delete my post. Thanks

Looking nice! how are the vday mass looking?

in the small tank crash they didnt make it thru :( the ding dangs I finally got back to their original glory. right now they are on the top right of my tank where the t5 bulbs end. I am going to try placing them low in my tank semi shaded.

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new shots

2011-01-06

I think imma name him cartman, he steals the food from the other fish and says, "screw you guys, im goin home" and runs away with it.
20110106wrasse2.jpg

20110106toadstool.jpg

20110106efflo2.jpg

20110106efflo.jpg

20110106anthia.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have your controls attached to next to the tank?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly thats a nice tank!! I have a 120 as well and using 2 MP 40's! Quick question, What LED's are you using and how did you mount them to your light fixture? Also, What are the rocks that you have on the sides of the glass? I think i have seen them on a website before but I cant find them now.. Those are held on with magnets correct?? Also, have you had any ick problems with your Achilles? I have a PBT that i am having issues with as far as ick and i heard Achilles are even worse then PBT's.. Ok.. so that was a couple of questions.. lol Thanks!

OP
OP
FiReBReTHa

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly thats a nice tank!! I have a 120 as well and using 2 MP 40's! Quick question, What LED's are you using and how did you mount them to your light fixture? Also, What are the rocks that you have on the sides of the glass? I think i have seen them on a website before but I cant find them now.. Those are held on with magnets correct?? Also, have you had any ick problems with your Achilles? I have a PBT that i am having issues with as far as ick and i heard Achilles are even worse then PBT's.. Ok.. so that was a couple of questions.. lol Thanks!

The LEDs are crap ones right now, I will be replacing them with proper LEDs from
Reef LED Lights
Once I complete the project I will do a full dIY writeup.

The Frag shelves are made by the alternative reef, BEST investment ever! I dont know what I would do without them.
The Alternative Reef

I combat risks of ick with a UV filter and Garlic enriched nori. Check out Rod food nori.
Stress is a big push of ick

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks for the reply! I soak all the fish food every feeding 2 times a day in the brightwell garlic extract. For the algae for the tangs i use Ocean Nutrition red and green that has garlic added as well.. So I know all the fish have plenty of garlic in there diet. I just bought the brightwell AminOMega. I was told it would help..

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back