I had no i dea anemone's did this.....

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the 2nd time my RBTA has done this........I've had this nem for about a year now, it has always thrived in my tank........it's about 10" or so in diameter, I have a gold stripe maroon that takes grat care of it.....so now to the point of my post......about 2 months ago it split, I was def. releived because it was getting a little too big for comfort, well I woke up the next morning & it was back to 1 anemone....so yesterday morning, about 8 a.m. I notice it's splitting again, I left for work & when I got home sure enough 2 anemones, then about an hour or so later the larger part split again............well guess what, this a.m. I woke up & there it was, ONE anemone!! I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone has any links with more info.........

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, I don't know much about anemones, but I have never heard of them "unsplitting." Perhaps the smaller splits were closed up and hiding under your rockwork?

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh!?!?!? Maybe it just can't stand to be separated!?!?! I've definitely never heard of that either...

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I don not think that is possible, they are either dying, or they are hiding in the reef, but there is no way they are re-combining after they split. Or it tricked you and never really split.:wink:

Last edited:
OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, trust me, they fused back together, it's the strangest thing I've ever seen.........I've been in the hobby a long time & I have never seen or heard of this, I was even skeptical at first but I know what I saw.....it's definately back together & again, it's done this twice now.......

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't asking if it was possible, I already know that it is, I've seen it twice now, I was asking if anyone has ever seen this before.......

J&O'sdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this sounds crazy. Are you sure the clones are not tucked right against the original foot?

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I know it sounds crazy but it happened, I'm not joking or trying to pull anything on anyoneI have no pics and right now it's just 1 big anemone again so pics at this point would not show anything.....next time I will get pics for sure especially seeing as how this is the second time it happened, I'm assuming when it splits again it will do the same........

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% positive, the clones aren't hiding, the thing fused back together.....honestly if I wasn't wriring this & was reading it as someone else's post I probably wouldn't believe it either........it is by far the craziest thing I have ever seen in all my years in the hobby.....

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ya just never know I guess, anything is possible, I was skeptical when I first heard they swap zooxanthellea, so I wont say impossible, especially since there is ALWAYS somebody who knows more in this hobby, (at least they think they do:))

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's called failure to launch.
The new organism remains attached as it grows, separating from the parent organism only when it is mature. Since the reproduction is asexual, the newly created organism is a clone and is genetically identical to the parent organism.
I've know kids like that they always return home where everything is handed to them:)

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a question of me knowig more, it's just such a crazy event that I myself almost can't believe it.......like I said if someone else had posted this I probably wouldn't believe it......

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really whip or are you being sarcastic? Can't tell tone thru reading???

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe thats why my mushrooms sometimes split with another mouth and everything then I look the next day and I end up with 1 mushroom with 2 mouths even though it was clearly splitting the day before

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, I do know that it actually split into 3 seperate entities for sure, then they all moved back together but they were most definately seperated........

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tone was kinda cracking up loudly:) but I do believe you. there's lots of things about these animals we don't know. I think anything is possible maybe the parent nem ate them or the clones were not mature enough and were reobsorbed by the parent nem. who knows but def get pic's next time and maybe isolate the buds when it happens again and see what happens.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when they are splitting, are they completely seperate? Or are there still parts attached to each other?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back