I had no i dea anemone's did this.....

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a question of me knowig more, it's just such a crazy event that I myself almost can't believe it.......like I said if someone else had posted this I probably wouldn't believe it......
I wasn't implying you were a know it all, I just didn't want to get into a debate with sombody and hijack your thread, I am sure you are convinced that is what is going on, and may well be %100 correct, I am just a skeptic, and like i said ANYthing is possible....

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when they are splitting, are they completely seperate? Or are there still parts attached to each other?

Completelyy seperate, not attached at all, next time I think I wills eperate immediately once it splits, although I am somewhat tempted to let it split, take pics & see if it does this again..........

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you post it here! it's very interesting!

OP
OP
46gReef

46gReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately will, I have to show this process if I can.......I'm contemplating contacting a biologist regarding this, I was thinking maybe one of the guys from TFH magazine......I can't find anything online so I'm totally stumped.......

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry kindof digging this up but i want to say something. I know that this is possible but very highly unlikely. I raise anemones and one time I had one almost completly split and then it just healed back up.
In your situation I dont think its possible. Did it completly split? For a anemone to completly split and then heal all 3 is almost impossible. You said that they healed in hours thats impossible. It takes an average of 1 full day for an anemone to start healing from a split and for yours to have rehealed 3 parts back into one anemone is unheared of.
I know you said you did lose any of the clones but thats what i bet happened. Either to the power head. A large fish if you have any or one died. Or they just hid in your tank.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry I didnt see this thread before.

I have raised anemones a long time,alot longer than you think.I have NEVER seen this before,and I honestly doubt it really happened,there is a logical explnation to this,just like there is for every other myth in the book.

I can say there is no way it will do what you said,unless I see pictures,I cant belive it.I dont want to sound rude,but I just dont see this possible.

Tajjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This same thing happened to me, i thought i was seeing things LOL:squigglemouth:. Now im not alone, i looked all over for the splits, never found em. The nem was signiffifanly smaller after the split, then the next morning it was one huge anemone again.????

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's called failure to launch.
The new organism remains attached as it grows, separating from the parent organism only when it is mature. Since the reproduction is asexual, the newly created organism is a clone and is genetically identical to the parent organism.
I've know kids like that they always return home where everything is handed to them:)

Thats pretty funny dude....

I have never heard of such a thing.. Sounds bizzare...Is this a rose anemone?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a green bta get cought in a power head...ended up in 3 pieces...and they combined back into 1 anemone.not sure how,but they did..weird creatures anemones. . . .

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry I didnt see this thread before.

I have raised anemones a long time,alot longer than you think.I have NEVER seen this before,and I honestly doubt it really happened,there is a logical explnation to this,just like there is for every other myth in the book.

I can say there is no way it will do what you said,unless I see pictures,I cant belive it.I dont want to sound rude,but I just dont see this possible.
This is what i was trying to say too. It can happen with two but very very rarely but impossible to happen with 3.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok im no anemone expert by any means, but all i knwo is i had 1 gbta it got torn into 3 small piece in maybe like 2 days there was only 1 big anemone..the litte ones were missing..i took down my rocks looking...and there was only one

if anemone can get 3times bigger in 2 days..that might have happened

im not sure, it jsut really seemed like they grew back together

but 1 questions, what makes it so impossible for them to grow back together?
they can go through the slits into a sponge filter by tearing and repairing themselves so why couldnt they tear in half and grow back together?

Im not going against what your saying i just want to know why it cant happen

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is why from my experince.

When anemones split,they almost immeditly start heling by pulling the 2 sides together,and after 6 hours or so,the skin is already healed up around the mouth,but its not a fully healed anemone yet.

If the skin is healed,I dont see that the anemones will tear open again to re group,that is to much energy that the anemone needs for healing over,and How would all 3 anemones know "Okay guys,this is what we have to do,when he shuts the lights off,lets all join back together and make him confused".Basiclly,how are they all going to know they need to re group is the tank,as soon as they split off they are a new individual anemone.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, i was just wondering is it actually impossible?

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would all 3 anemones know "Okay guys,this is what we have to do,when he shuts the lights off,lets all join back together and make him confused".Basiclly,how are they all going to know they need to re group is the tank,as soon as they split off they are a new individual anemone.

This is why its nearly impossible. Because the likely hood of all 3 getting back together in the right place all at the same time is practically one in a billion chance. Mabye not impossible but as far as ik there havent been actull reported incidents with pictures to back it up.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In almost 8 years of keeping anemones,I havent ever seen a picture to justify that this can happen.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i understand, some one should try..cut an anemone in half put the halfs beside each other...see if anything happens

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL,nothing would happen as it would be a manual split.

I have cut quite a few this year and nothing ever happens.They all just start to heal and grow.I just think that if they are healing back together,somewhere in the equation,there is a logical explanation to it.

Zylski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest ive ever come to a anemone healing back up is one started naturally splitting, it split one side of its mouth and not the other and then healed back up. A cut anemone would be in to much shock to do that.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Split one side of its mouth?

They split from the center like this:

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00939-1.jpg

Then all done:

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back