OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of complaining maybe you should start helping? This question can seem very condescending to some people. Try to be thankful for what u have and share the luv!
P.S - my tank is a year old and I can’t seem to grow an SPS to save my life.
Don't judge before you know all the facts. People do that far to often.
Succes in Reefing is about reading everything as it is, not only the headline. I often see that people give an own twist to advice given. Afterwards that twist made all the difference between succes or failure. Better reading make better reefers......

How about start reading this?
[/URL]

I helped a lot more people this way than one could ever do by giving advice based on questions with minimal data supplied.

Also visit the different platforms where specific knowhow is developed and shared

Inspired by my system volunteers/users start developing support tools like these:
- Use aquarium stats to share information. This gives us a complete picture of aquarium, technics, water values and dosages. This allows us to provide (more) specific advice.

These are just the little things that make a huge difference how we support each other.
Working on a standarised platform eliminates unknown variables.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of your corals are fast growers by nature ........ I would suggest eliminating them from the system totally.

I don't keep Acropora Yongei and similar staghorns, Stylophoras, Bird nests, Pocilliporas, Montipora Digitatas, Montipora capricornis, ect for the very reason you're complaining about.

I also eliminate Tri color valida/secales and other acros that grow fast.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a bigger tank, one you can't fill in a lifetime. That one is clearly too small.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of your corals are fast growers by nature ........ I would suggest eliminating them from the system totally.

I don't keep Acropora Yongei and similar staghorns, Stylophoras, Bird nests, Pocilliporas, Montipora Digitatas, Montipora capricornis, ect for the very reason you're complaining about.

I am curious how your tank as a whole look like without those species. For me it's also the total that make the beauty of it

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through this on a much smaller scale (exacerbated the situation by poor initial placement). Corals growing on and in other corals, pruned frags that fall to the sand in areas I cant really reach them and they clutter up the otherwise nice look. This was a side of "maintenance" I hadn't really considered (I'd take a water change over it any day). If I would have stayed on top of it earlier, it would have been much easier.

On a positive note, your tank looks fantastic.

Last edited:

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For awhile I was swimming in red planet, green slimers, and various montipora - which I eliminated partly on purpose, partly on accident.

Now... I have been getting exotic frags, which turn brown and don't grow... and I wish I would have just kept pruning the stuff I had. Also... you have some nice blue and purple corals.... I could never get those to keep color like that!

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hum·ble·brag
/ˈhəmbəlˌbraɡ/
an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud.

U

User1

View Badges
63 was the max i could place on my rooftop
c4b71a6e353b9e58e7e22995b023c96f.jpg
fa09b33099fbcdaf585106b75406c2eb.jpg

What panels are you and @PerplexyHexy using? Nor Cal here and using solar. I'm still not in the positive production. Few days here and there I can see we are positive and I would love a battery bank to save that power.

Edit: I've considered adding more panels although not sure about the return on investment since when we bought the house the builder offered a crazy deal on ours so we bought outright.

We are in the 16 - 20 kwh range:
1564583929257.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through this on a much smaller scale (exacerbated the situation by poor initial placement). Corals growing on and in other corals, pruned frags that fall to the sand in areas I cant really reach them and they clutter up the otherwise nice look. This was a side of "maintenance" I had really considered (I'd take a water change over it any day). If I would have stayed on top of it earlier, it would have been much easier.

On a positive note, your tank looks fantastic.
Yeah ...periodic gardening is a good thing to maintain the status quo. However i am someone who like to push boundaries and lack routine. That's why i try to put everything on autopilot.
Pity enough i haven't found a way to "autopruning" yet [emoji6]. The reason i am shouting out "i hate it"

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For awhile I was swimming in red planet, green slimers, and various montipora - which I eliminated partly on purpose, partly on accident.

Now... I have been getting exotic frags, which turn brown and don't grow... and I wish I would have just kept pruning the stuff I had. Also... you have some nice blue and purple corals.... I could never get those to keep color like that!
Just my point...
Reefing is about relaxing and enjoying the hobby,
When you take on challenges you're not confident with and/or equiped for (knowlegde or commitment wise) you're in for problems and grief.

Don't try to proof you're a reefmaster, just enjoy the hobby as you see fit.
Whether it's a tank full of xenia, zoas, or staghorns, they are all very nice in their own way. if they bring you joy and fullfillment that's just fine.

When introducing new species always do that gradually, because removing large chucks of corals also changes the dynamic of the tank.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What panels are you and @PerplexyHexy using? Nor Cal here and using solar. I'm still not in the positive production. Few days here and there I can see we are positive and I would love a battery bank to save that power.

Edit: I've considered adding more panels although not sure about the return on investment since when we bought the house the builder offered a crazy deal on ours so we bought outright.

1564583929257.png
I use 63 sharp ndak275 panels. Connected to a solaredge SE15K inverter on 2 strings.
I had a special deal which involve the puchase of 2 full pallets.
I calculated my return of investment at 5 years
Normally this would have been 9+ years.
Average calculations should be at 5-6 years

Last edited:

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't judge before you know all the facts. People do that far to often.
Succes in Reefing is about reading everything as it is, not only the headline. I often see that people give an own twist to advice given. Afterwards that twist made all the difference between succes or failure. Better reading make better reefers......

How about start reading this?
[/URL]

I helped a lot more people this way than one could ever do by giving advice based on questions with minimal data supplied.

Also visit the different platforms where specific knowhow is developed and shared

Inspired by my system volunteers/users start developing support tools like these:
- Use aquarium stats to share information. This gives us a complete picture of aquarium, technics, water values and dosages. This allows us to provide (more) specific advice.

These are just the little things that make a huge difference how we support each other.
Working on a standarised platform eliminates unknown variables.
Thank you for your positive feedback. I believe there may be a misconception with your tone? I will definitely look at the links. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your positive feedback. I believe there may be a misconception with your tone? I will definitely look at the links. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem.
When we all start thinking positively the tone don't matter. Only content does. After all we are here to exchange thoughs and transfer knowhow for future safekeeping

Have fun with reading, it's a lot to take in, but there's also a lot to be learned.

Don't worry about my "problem". it's just an eyopener for those who have never experience such. Some will be inspired, others could be annoyed. But now they are aware this is happening more frequent than they expected.
Reefing is more fun when you're succesfull.
Just like the saying "after rain comes sunshine" there must be something after the sunshine[emoji6]
I guess that would be prunning[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1564583929257.png

25 Panasonic N320K Photovoltaic Module HIT BLACK Panels...

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realy hate this....[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

I love the corals, i love the many species, i love the beauty of it all, i love the growth/growthrate.
But the one thing i hate is pruning and the aftermath....
- I hate the work involved.
- I hate it that the tank look like **** in the weeks/months after.
- I hate lobbying with the cuttings.

How do you guys deal with excessive growth?
2ec607d51531d437965eea1595cbb5e0.jpg
0605c19d7fbebab2aba6d7e965df57c5.jpg
c0e9f272566260ee9fdef3bf829d39dc.jpg
5f51e0db661412a23a178d8de8bfc1d3.jpg
When/if I ever get there I’ll let you know.
Spectacular tank man

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am curious how your tank as a whole look like without those species. For me it's also the total that make the beauty of it

When I was conscientious about keeping things trimmed and spaced

48379478406_715a027a4e_c.jpg

The corals I suggested to eliminate I haven't kept in 15+ years. They are space eaters taking up real estate for more beautiful acro species I'd rather have that don't take constant trimming.
Around here it's hard to sell surplus of those type at local swaps as they are everywhere and go for $5-10 a frag.

I probably have 70+ acropora so my tanks are cluttered messes right now. My problem is adding new corals..............we have a wide variety of 100+ acros to choose from.

For a display I prefer one with equal negative space vs packed walls.

It's your tank, so if you like those corals that's up to you..............I prefer other acros to use that space.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back