I hate to have to post this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
First off, the customer service reps at Marine Depot and UPS were outstanding and professional. Apparently, Marine Depot recently changed it's a signature is required on shipments over x amount policy. I have had larger orders before without a required signature. So, I was surprised to have one required for my most recent order. Given the amount of doorstep theft that goes on today, I totally understand and appreciate the motive for such a requirement. It's not really the problem. The problem is there is no way for me to sign for the package ahead of time if I know that I am not going be able to be there to sign for it.

Marine Depot thinks that by sending me to UPS's MyChoice, I can sign for the package. However, MyChoice says the sender must remove the requirement and will not let me pre-sign for it. I call Marine Depot and the CSR and her supervisor tell me they cannot lift the requirement. I ended up having to go meet the UPS driver to get my package.

Customers need to have the ability to accept responsibility for packages left at our doorsteps. We should not be forced to stay home all day to receive an order.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Ups usually leaves me a notification on the door that I can sign and when they come by the next day they’ll take my signature and leave the package. At least that’s how I did it last time I wasn’t around

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Ups usually leaves me a notification on the door that I can sign and when they come by the next day they’ll take my signature and leave the package. At least that’s how I did it last time I wasn’t around

I never thought to ask for this from UPS. Thanks for the tip!

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
i stopped ordering from MD after they started doing this. it was (is) a major inconvenience, and they did not want to change the delivery method to hold at the local UPS store for pickup or remove the signature requirement. i had to take a day off from work in order to be there and sign for it. sorry MD, but it is an inconvenience.

J.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
I never thought to ask for this from UPS. Thanks for the tip!

the shipments from MD will not have that option. or they didn't have it back when it happened to me. "in person" signature required.

J.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
the shipments from MD will not have that option. or they didn't have it back when it happened to me. "in person" signature required.

J.
That does cause a problem.

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah. If you are going to be responsible for getting the package or not getting the package they should let you lift the requirements. They must be losing money on packages to put this in place.

OP
OP
GainesvilleReef

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Get the UPS app for your phone and you can authorize them to leave it your door. Basically, it allows you to have a signature on file.

I never have to sign for anything anymore. They just leave it at my door.

They will not because of the way Marined Depot has it set up so that UPS will not accept that. Marine Depot seems not to be aware that they have their shipments such that the UPS MyChoice cannot override the requirement.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They will not because of the way Marined Depot has it set up so that UPS will not accept that. Marine Depot seems not to be aware that they have their shipments such that the UPS MyChoice cannot override the requirement.

I've not ordered any big ticket items from MD, but I have from BRS. Several orders were setup to require a physical signature, but I've never had to sign, or even be home for my package to be delivered and left at my door.

Edit:

All you have to do is set driver instructions under the deliver options:

1565363574763.png

Last edited:

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
I've not ordered any big ticket items from MD, but I have from BRS. Several orders were setup to require a physical signature, but I've never had to sign, or even be home for my package to be delivered and left at my door.

Edit:

All you have to do is set driver instructions under the deliver options:

1565363574763.png

this option will not be available with MD shipments, trust me :) i've had a few calls with them.
they do not allow you to change the delivery options.

J.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
You can just have UPS hold the package at their facility and you can pick it up at your convenience. Not that big a deal.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
this option will not be available with MD shipments, trust me :) i've had a few calls with them.
they do not allow you to change the delivery options.

J.

No delivery options are being changed, you are simply authorizing and removing any responsibility from UPS and instructing them to leave the item at your door. MD does not have some special delivery status that would out do BRS. Perhaps if you haven't authorized them to leave the package without a signature prior to the the package being sent, but other than that I cannot see why there'd be an issue. Again, never had to sign for my Hydra 26s that required a signature. Never had to sign for my Vortechs that required a signature.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
No delivery options are being changed, you are simply authorizing and removing any responsibility from UPS and instructing them to leave the item at your door. MD does not have some special delivery status that would out do BRS. Perhaps if you haven't authorized them to leave the package without a signature prior to the the package being sent, but other than that I cannot see why there'd be an issue. Again, never had to sign for my Hydra 26s that required a signature. Never had to sign for my Vortechs that required a signature.

did you order the hydra26 and vortechs from MD? when was this?
a few months back, i stopped ordering from them because it was not possible to do this.
maybe they changed something now?

edit: just logged back into my account. my last order with them was 7/5/2018, so it's been longer than "a few months"

J.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
did you order the hydra26 and vortechs from MD? when was this?
a few months back, i stopped ordering from them because it was not possible to do this.
maybe they changed something now?

J.

No, I ordered them from BRS, but BRS requires a physical signature on items over X dollars just like MD. The "shipper" MD or BRS has no say to override you authorizing UPS to leave the package at your door and to do so without your a signature.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
No, I ordered them from BRS, but BRS requires a physical signature on items over X dollars just like MD. The "shipper" MD or BRS has no say to override you authorizing UPS to leave the package at your door and to do so without your a signature.

i'm not getting into a forum fight with you over this, but try and order something from MD, and then tell us how you were able to take delivery without signing for it. i know you can set delivery options. it works for every other place i order from. but not with MD. really, we're not making this up ;)

J.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i'm not getting into a forum fight with you over this, but try and order something from MD, and then tell us how you were able to take delivery without signing for it. i know you can set delivery options. it works for every other place i order from. but not with MD. really, we're not making this up ;)

J.

Not arguing with you... just saying that if you have a problem it's with UPS, not MD

laters

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Placing a order today from them to test it out. I’ll try to hold at ups store

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score

J.
I think that all UPS shipments have the option to waive the signature after they attempt delivery one time. You are right - you can't 'do it ahead of time'. They put a sticky on your door - and you sign it - and they deliver it the next day - with the tracking number from the sticky - you can also do it online (or on the phone). This is the wave of the future for all companies - not just Marine Depot. You can - on the form - also write down the address of a neighbor that will be home. If there is something 'special' about Marine Depot and UPS - I am not aware of it. Obviously - this would not work for a live shipment from another company.

BTW here is a link from UPS - which clarifies the whole issue:

1. People that have an account with UPS can sign before a delivery online.
2. People that do not - can sign the notification left by the driver - and place it back where the drive left the notification - and it will be delivered the next day/.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back