I hate to have to post this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Placing a order today from them to test it out. I’ll try to hold at ups store
FYI- Let us know - the way the instructions look (to me) - you can only request this AFTER delivery is attempted (using the form they leave) - unless you are a UPS MY choice member (which I believe just requires you to create an online account - it doesnt cost anything)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not arguing with you... just saying that if you have a problem it's with UPS, not MD

laters

Well - the problem is really with people who 1. Pretend they have not received a shipment when they really did, 2. People who steal packages from in front of people's doors.

MD does it because they don't want to be responsible for the loss - which is reasonable - but if they didnt instruct UPS to require an adult signature UPS wouldn't do it - so in the end its MD's 'fault'...

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well - the problem is really with people who 1. Pretend they have not received a shipment when they really did, 2. People who steal packages from in front of people's doors.

MD does it because they don't want to be responsible for the loss - which is reasonable - but if they didnt instruct UPS to require an adult signature UPS wouldn't do it - so in the end its MD's 'fault'...

BRS does the same thing. MD nor BRS would be responsible for loss or theft that would be UPS. You can authorize UPS to leave the package without a signature and if that’s not happening it’s because the driver is deciding to not leave the package (if the driver determines it’s not safe to leave it or there’s inclement weather), so that would be on UPS in my opinion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
BRS does the same thing. MD nor BRS would be responsible for loss or theft that would be UPS. You can authorize UPS to leave the package without a signature and if that’s not happening it’s because the driver is deciding to not leave the package (if the driver determines it’s not safe to leave it or there’s inclement weather), so that would be on UPS in my opinion.

I think if you research it - you will see that the courier is NOT responsible for losses as long as they delivered the package to the door. It is the shipper (MD or BRS)'s responsibility unless the vendor/shipper have required a signature (then the courier is responsible). If the package is signed for - neither one is responsible.

To me when someone says something 'is on a company' it implies that that company has done something wrong or illegal. Maybe I'm not interpreting what you're writing in the manner you are meaning.

As far as UPS goes - I have never been required to provide a signature for BRS. And I posted the rules that UPS uses for vendors that require signatures.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think if you research it - you will see that the courier is NOT responsible for losses as long as they delivered the package to the door. It is the shipper (MD or BRS)'s responsibility unless the vendor/shipper have required a signature (then the courier is responsible). If the package is signed for - neither one is responsible.

To me when someone says something 'is on a company' it implies that that company has done something wrong or illegal. Maybe I'm not interpreting what you're writing in the manner you are meaning.

As far as UPS goes - I have never been required to provide a signature for BRS. And I posted the rules that UPS uses for vendors that require signatures.

I think my message/tone probably doesn't convey well in text... but if you'll look at my post earlier, with the screenshot from my UPS account, you'll see that you can authorize UPS to leave the package at a given location at your home. I have designated my front door as it's tucked well under my front porch. By authorizing them to leave the package you transfer all responsibility to yourself (barring damaged goods I would suspect). If the package is stolen, now it's on you.

When I say it's on UPS, I'm saying if you have done the authorization for UPS to leave the package without a signature and that's not happening... then it's on UPS or more specifically the driver of the route that day. UPS does say they can leave it or not leave it at their discretion based on inclement weather or if they feel it would be safe to leave it, that's still UPS making the call, not MD. I guess you could argue semantics for one way or the other... but that's my take.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
I think my message/tone probably doesn't convey well in text... but if you'll look at my post earlier, with the screenshot from my UPS account, you'll see that you can authorize UPS to leave the package at a given location at your home. I have designated my front door as it's tucked well under my front porch. By authorizing them to leave the package you transfer all responsibility to yourself (barring damaged goods I would suspect). If the package is stolen, now it's on you.

When I say it's on UPS, I'm saying if you have done the authorization for UPS to leave the package without a signature and that's not happening... then it's on UPS or more specifically the driver of the route that day. UPS does say they can leave it or not leave it at their discretion based on inclement weather or if they feel it would be safe to leave it, that's still UPS making the call, not MD. I guess you could argue semantics for one way or the other... but that's my take.

That 'box' that you checked is for all packages (where do you want packages put) - not signature required ones. Signature required packages require that you release 'each package' individually - I dont know if you read the link that I posted with the rules - but signature release packages are different than the box you checked.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That 'box' that you checked is for all packages (where do you want packages put) - not signature required ones. Signature required packages require that you release 'each package' individually - I dont know if you read the link that I posted with the rules - but signature release packages are different than the box you checked.

You're correct that box says leave it at my door, but also read the first part that's boxed in red. We have signature packages delivered probably once a month or so and we never have to sign because of how we have our UPS account set. The only issue we have is with the post office when they deliver our wine deliveries.

Edit:

Actually just double checked... that box specifically says "I authorize release of my shipments." meaning: leave my package without my signature.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
You're correct that box says leave it at my door, but also read the first part that's boxed in red. We have signature packages delivered probably once a month or so and we never have to sign because of how we have our UPS account set. The only issue we have is with the post office when they deliver our wine deliveries.

Edit:

Actually just double checked... that box specifically says "I authorize release of my shipments." meaning: leave my package without my signature.

Interesting - perhaps this is a local UPS thing. It goes against whats stated on their website. I read the whole thing under the red box also - When the vendor requires signatures - that 'trumps' that selection (thats what I was trying to say). You need to click on the tracking number - and waive the signature requirement in those cases (at least thats how it works here)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Well there is only one option I can do besides signing for it when it’s delivered, have it delivered to a neighbor and they’ll have to sign. I agree not a good thing

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting - perhaps this is a local UPS thing. It goes against whats stated on their website. I read the whole thing under the red box also - When the vendor requires signatures - that 'trumps' that selection (thats what I was trying to say). You need to click on the tracking number - and waive the signature requirement in those cases (at least thats how it works here)

Sorry but that's not accurate. This allows you to not have to sign regardless of how the vendor sent it. Direct quote from the release agreement "UPS will make only one delivery attempt and will not obtain a signature upon delivery."

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My experience, as a UPS account holder, is that I can "pre-sign" for some shipments and not others. If the shipper requires a physical signature then I am not allowed to pre-sign.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry but that's not accurate. This allows you to not have to sign regardless of how the vendor sent it. Direct quote from the release agreement "UPS will make only one delivery attempt and will not obtain a signature upon delivery."
Disagree... Accorting to UPS' website.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
My experience, as a UPS account holder, is that I can "pre-sign" for some shipments and not others. If the shipper requires a physical signature then I am not allowed to pre-sign.
This - its if the shipper requires it....:)

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
As I’m not infallible, I literally just called to confirm my account setting. As long as you have given UPS authorization they leave the package without a signature regardless if the shipper requires physical signatures or not. The only reason it will not be left is if the driver feels it is not safe to leave it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
I arrange pick up at their facility which has morning and evening pickup range time that is convenient.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
As I’m not infallible, I literally just called to confirm my account setting. As long as you have given UPS authorization they leave the package without a signature regardless if the shipper requires physical signatures or not. The only reason it will not be left is if the driver feels it is not safe to leave it.
Well. if you read their website - you're wrong... one of the many reasons I dislike UPs

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
And. -- though I believe you - I think that the person that answered you did not use policy

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Well there is only one option I can do besides signing for it when it’s delivered, have it delivered to a neighbor and they’ll have to sign. I agree not a good thing

yeah, my neighbors work too :)

CNDReef just confirmed that it is still not an option.

when was the last time that you ordered something from MD?
you keep saying that we're all wrong...

J.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Every Merchant can set their own requirements, they pay for it. My cell co. requires a signature when shipping phones and I have had to drive an hour to retrieve them from the distribution center after working 12 hours :mad: Cabelas is over $1k and I cannot sign a waver and have met up with the FED-EX driver after leaving work early because the driver doesn't return to the hub and keeps it on the truck. I learned with that ordeal is that Wallgreens is a shipping partner and you can request the package to be picked up there.
If You want it left at your door place multiple orders under the requirement threshold.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You can also have the package left at the UPS store if you have one then pick up there at your convenience. Another option is to have them held at the UPS terminal and pick them up there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back