I have a DINOFLAGELLATES outbreak. Now what?!

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read and listened to many videos and articles. Doesn't seem to be one sure way to fight this. So now I thought I'd see what your thoughts are. How have you beat this? I have a serious outbreak.

Attachment-1.jpeg

Attachment-2.jpeg

Attachment-3.jpeg

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience after reading the posted article, and many others and watching videos was.....

3 day blackout (black garbage bags tapped together). FYI. The Tank was getting way to hot without any ventilation so I had to have a flap open on a dark side. After removing the cover it looked like their might be a speck here and there but was not sure if it was just algae or dinos. Things looked promising, that is, until I did a water change 1 weeks later. I noticed them returning/expanding quickly in those areas. So I followed it up with another 3 day blackout right away. This time when removing the bag all was super clear and I refrained from doing water changes for roughly 2 months. When I finally did a water change.......HOLY $&@t. I see tiny slime spots again. This time rather than going total blackout I went blues only on my LEDs and left it that way for month all while holding off on water changes. After the month I slowly added in the full spectrum LEDs over the next month (still no water changes). I did a water change when my lights were back to “normal” intensity. All has been clear since then. Crossing fingers.

Also, I lost one new Acro frag during the blackout stages. One Acro frag browned out completely (since recovered). Most Acro colonies lost some color but have recovered. LPS and softies no change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back