I have a few too many aptasia

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my tank at night with the lights off and i was shocked of how many aptasia i actually have. In my 29 i have maybe 200 little ones scattered behind my rocks. Honestly im shocked and have no clue how i can get rid of them at this point. Should i get a peppermint shrimp? Ive been using aptasia x and i guess its not working. Honestly i dont want to spend 200 dollars on berghia nudis

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? The peppermints can be hit or miss in my experience but the bigger concern is they are sometimes interested in euphylia and other LPS corals. I would give the peppermints a try depending on your corals.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? The peppermints can be hit or miss in my experience but the bigger concern is they are sometimes interested in euphylia and other LPS corals. I would give the peppermints a try depending on your corals.
The thing is i have a lot of euphillia and acans. I might be upgrading to a 40g breeder from my 29g next summer. So i could maybe just restart fresh and just be very very cautious.

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A filefish or berghia at that point. 200 is a fair amount, i have close to 2000 that have been problematic

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my tank at night with the lights off and i was shocked of how many aptasia i actually have. In my 29 i have maybe 200 little ones scattered behind my rocks. Honestly im shocked and have no clue how i can get rid of them at this point. Should i get a peppermint shrimp? Ive been using aptasia x and i guess its not working. Honestly i dont want to spend 200 dollars on berghia nudis

you don’t need to spend $200 on berghias. Purchase 5-10 and make sure to place them together. It will take them a little longer to breed but they’ll get there. Maybe purchase some eggs too.

Or get a majano wand, it’s less than $200.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
29g tank? Buy 5 juvenile berghias they will take some time but after they lay eggs you’ll be golden. My buddy got 2 one was pregnant 3 weeks later he had over 18 mature ones and a crap load of babies and more sets of eggs.
They breed like nobodies business as long as you don’t have amphipods or other stuff that will feast on their eggs.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B and a puffer. Puffer destroyed the peppermint shrimp so a few week before I set a date to move I used a blow torch to scorch the surface of the rocks. I set the rocks in a tote for QT and checked them several times and no longer have aiptasia. I would manage it with aiptasia-x/Kalk/Lemon juice and when its time to upgrade do a rip clean, torch the rocks, qt the rocks and fish and setup the new tank. 200 is too hard to eradicate but if you want to go that route I wish you the best of luck.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel my sixline wrasse will hunt them down, the little guy has an eagle eye but ill look into it
They should be fine from the sixline. You will rarely ever see berghias in the beginning. They only come out at night and are typically always within your rock work/hidden. I go months at a time without seeing mine.

Sixlines go to bed right at dusk so it'll be rare the two will ever interact until the aptasia is nearly gone.

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I recently purchased a majano wand and it's one of the best investments I ever made. Permanent on-demand aptasia control for $115.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I recently purchased a majano wand and it's one of the best investments I ever made. Permanent on-demand aptasia control for $115.
I have been on the fence about getting one but glad to know someone has found it effective. Where did you get it?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the fence about getting one but glad to know someone has found it effective. Where did you get it?
Amazon, or it might have been marine depot.

It's very effective but kind of hard first. Kind of an art form. You have to hit the aptasia before they close up. It's easy to get rid of the large ones though.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon, or it might have been marine depot.

It's very effective but kind of hard first. Kind of an art form. You have to hit the aptasia before they close up. It's easy to get rid of the large ones though.
If my tank reboot/move fails I will just go the management route and get one. I did poorly with aiptasia-X and after my first killing spree (an entire bottle) it came back with revenge.

U

User1

View Badges
I feel my sixline wrasse will hunt them down, the little guy has an eagle eye but ill look into it

Well, this is a non starter for you then. The Sixline will indeed hunt them down like it was a 5 course meal at Ruth's Chris with a nice cab to boot.

U

User1

View Badges
They should be fine from the sixline. You will rarely ever see berghias in the beginning. They only come out at night and are typically always within your rock work/hidden. I go months at a time without seeing mine.

Sixlines go to bed right at dusk so it'll be rare the two will ever interact until the aptasia is nearly gone.

You are right - the Sixline will go to bed. However, they are ever foraging roaming every inch of the tank looking at every nook and cranny possible for food. Dart here, look there, speed over there, stop, i mean their hunting pattern is nuts. Like a fighter jet in a closed football stadium / arena.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back