I have a home HVAC question...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to run 2 thermostats on a one zone central heating/ac system.

In the summer, when using central air, I want the thermostat mounted on the upper floor.

In the winter, when using central heat, I want the thermostat mounted on the lower floor.

My idea is to run two thermostat wires from the individual locations back to the furnace terminals. Using one thermostat, I can move it between locations as the season changes.

Will it be a problem if I connect wires from both locations to a single terminal block in the furnace?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If both stats are fed from same power source I guess it could work but I’d imagine you have to have one or the other in the off position as to not send conflicting signals to your furnace.

Its gonna be a freezer in the lower floors durin the summers and a hotbox in the upper floors during the winter

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t. Only problem you might have is voltage. Might not be enough to power both. My buddy uses a smart thermostat that has a sensor for up stairs. So it can read the temp up there as well and not just down stairs. It’s not a nest I do know that

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t. Only problem you might have is voltage. Might not be enough to power both. My buddy uses a smart thermostat that has a sensor for up stairs. So it can read the temp up there as well and not just down stairs. It’s not a nest I do know that
Ecobees have sensors you can add, I have one with separate room sensors. I would have to play with the settings , I’m pretty sure you can get whatever functionality two thermostats would do I this scenarios but maybe not.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah... I didn't make myself clear.

I wouldn't be using two thermostats. I would only have one, but two mounting locations; one on the high floor for use during the summer and one on the low floor to use during winter.

There thermostat would be relocated when seasons change.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecobees have sensors you can add, I have one with separate room sensors. I would have to play with the settings , I’m pretty sure you can get whatever functionality two thermostats would do I this scenarios but maybe not.

I had the Ecobee. Spent hours on the phone with them. We couldn't get it working. Ended up getting my money back.

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are trying to do being that it’s hotter upstairs in winter and vise versa. I did just looked up nest and they have a sensor now as well.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thermostat two locations is possible. You would just have to re-wire it every season. It would be incredibly inconvenient. There are much better solutions.

Ecobee has an option to sense temperature from the sensor only, thermostat only, or average of the two. You would just have to manually adjust the setting every season. Another way would be to get a Trane or American standard XL824 thermostat and one Trane wireless sensor. Under the service setting you can easily change the weight of the thermostat vs sensor. Ie, the temp can be sensed from the wireless sensor, thermostat, or an average of both. With the Nexia app, you could automate that.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Honeywell has a system that can use wireless remote sensors and you can program the thermostat to use a different sensor for different parts of the day.

Most systems that are on multilevel houses have a balance damper to balance the air top to bottom. I have two setting on mine one for winter and one for summer.

I am not sure how the thermostat you are not using would react to being back-fed from the one that you are using. Most thermostats have a base plate what about using one thermostat and movie it to the installed base plate you want to use.

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the eco bee as well and ended up taking it back and getting a nest, they make temp sensors too you just have to go into settings and make changes seasonally

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thermostat two locations is possible. You would just have to re-wire it every season. It would be incredibly inconvenient. There are much better solutions.
Yes it would be if that was what I wanted to do. I will have two thermostat locations and ONE thermostat that I will move between the two locations. This will make moving the thermostat easy.

Yes, I tried the Ecobee, but after tech support couldn't help me to get working, I sent it back.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do that. Whether you physically move the thermostat or turn one off or swap the wire at the terminal block… as long as only one location is active at a time you’re fine.

Personally I would look into zoning the house into up/down with independent thermostats but that’s a different can of worms.

Edit: I’m assuming we’re talking 24V basic system.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how the thermostat you are not using would react to being back-fed from the one that you are using. Most thermostats have a base plate what about using one thermostat and movie it to the installed base plate you want to use.
Step 1: Buy 2 of the same thermostats.
Step 2: Install and wire the mounting plates in the desired locations.
Step 3: STORE one thermostat away in its box as a backup.
Step 4: Use ONE thermostat and move it between the desired locations.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do that. Whether you physically move the thermostat or turn one off or swap the wire at the terminal block… as long as only one location is active at a time you’re fine.

Personally I would look into zoning the house into up/down with independent thermostats but that’s a different can of worms.

And a can of worms that would be! No thank you! LOL

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, you might be surprised. The duct work may already be laid out such that it would just be dampers and controls… not much new tin knocking.

Or it might be a full tear out.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is similar in concept but I have a butterfly valve that the upstairs thermostat / ac unit uses to regulate how much air flow gets directed upstairs. This allows me to effectively shut off the upstairs or downstairs on demand.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, you might be surprised. The duct work may already be laid out such that it would just be dampers and controls… not much new tin knocking.

Or it might be a full tear out.
Yes, central AC was an afterthought in this house. It would be a big job.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could alway install a mini split. I wanna say there DIY kits out for consumers.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1: Buy 2 of the same thermostats.
Step 2: Install and wire the mounting plates in the desired locations.
Step 3: STORE one thermostat away in its box as a backup.
Step 4: Use ONE thermostat and move it between the desired locations.
I'm far from an expert but I do know some about hvac. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work. It's not hard to pop the new thermostats off of their base when moving it from one location to another.

It's a shame you couldn't get the ecobee working. That's what I use and absolutely love the thing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back