I have a question about Finnex heaters...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dom

Theoretical Reef Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
8,302
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in March, I purchased two Finnex 300 watt Titanium heaters for a 125. They get great reviews and the only warning is not to power them up out of the water.

Well, I was rebuilding the 125 and placed it in the sump. I plugged it in to the controller, thinking the power was off. It wasn't and I didn't notice until I smelled it.

Now, the Finnex is doesn't heat up and I had to install the backup.

The plastic cage around the heater is clearly melted in some spots.

Is there any way to salvage this heater or is it garbage?

@vetteguy53081

Thank you,
Dom
 
Back in March, I purchased two Finnex 300 watt Titanium heaters for a 125. They get great reviews and the only warning is not to power them up out of the water.

Well, I was rebuilding the 125 and placed it in the sump. I plugged it in to the controller, thinking the power was off. It wasn't and I didn't notice until I smelled it.

Now, the Finnex is doesn't heat up and I had to install the backup.

The plastic cage around the heater is clearly melted in some spots.

Is there any way to salvage this heater or is it garbage?

@vetteguy53081

Thank you,
Dom
I have had opposite experience but I believe manufacturer advices t allow heater to sit within yank for an hour before plugging in to adjust to tank while I dont see the impact with this. The contacts in the unit may have become stuck and heated itself out
 
I have had opposite experience but I believe manufacturer advices t allow heater to sit within yank for an hour before plugging in to adjust to tank while I dont see the impact with this. The contacts in the unit may have become stuck and heated itself out

So no way to resurrect it?
 
So no way to resurrect it?
Likely not especially with it being a closed system- you can see part as with glass version. Best now to replace before winter than during the winter season
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new