I have a quick question about Re-Curing Old Premium Fiji Live rock

Whats the best way to re cure your old live rock?

• Acid Bleach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Powdered Acid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, have around 50lbs of old school Ultra Premium Fiji live rock that I have left over from a previous build that I DONT want to get rid of.
The rock does not smell at all since it's been sitting in that back Rubbermaid container for about a month now running with powerheads and a heater. What would be your next step, give a Bleach bath or would you just run put it back in the Rubbermaid container w/ a heater and a powerhead and start testing for Amino and Nitrates? Also, I will be adding Brightwell MicrōBacter7 and start the bacterial process going?

Or would you even bother to re-cure this rock since it does not smell and it has been cycling in the back rubber maid for over 2 months in saltwater and then it was in that rubber maid with no water for about 2 months?

upload_2019-1-15_6-43-37.png

Ultra Fiji Scape 4.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the rock was stored, was there anything nasty in the tank causing issues? Cyano, dinos, velvet, ich, etc.?

If not, then I would skip a curing process involving bleach and just cycle it like any other rock, add the bacteria and give them a bit of ammonia to munch on, then start testing to see if it is cycled or not.

If you're not going to be using it for a while, I would dry it out and store it in a bin or something.

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the rock was stored, was there anything nasty in the tank causing issues? Cyano, dinos, velvet, ich, etc.?

If not, then I would skip a curing process involving bleach and just cycle it like any other rock, add the bacteria and give them a bit of ammonia to munch on, then start testing to see if it is cycled or not.

If you're not going to be using it for a while, I would dry it out and store it in a bin or something.

1. Nope / no issues what so ever with the rock when it came out, ZERO algae.
2. I have had the rock in my bend for 2 months now.
3. I am getting ready to start up a new SCA 150 systems and I and going to use Dr Tim's and this Fiji to cycle my system hopefully faster then 2 months!

Should i cylce the rock in RODI water or just regular saltwater @nautical_nathaniel?

Right, NOW, i AM just waiting on Synergy to ship me my sump and ato container and I will be ready to start hard plumbing my tank and get it up and running,

upload_2018-12-29_17-11-51.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Nope / no issues what so ever with the rock when it came out, ZERO algae.
2. I have had the rock in my bend for 2 months now.
3. I am getting ready to start up a new SCA 150 systems and I and going to use Dr Tim's and this Fiji to cycle my system hopefully faster then 2 months!

Should i cylce the rock in RODI water or just regular saltwater @nautical_nathaniel?

Right, NOW, i AM just waiting on Synergy to ship me my sump and ato container and I will be ready to start hard plumbing my tank and get it up and running,

upload_2018-12-29_17-11-51.png

You cycle rock in the same saltwater you intend on using in your aquarium, at the same salinity levels you intend on having.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just leave it in the tub. Cover it to contain heat, minimize evaporation, and block light. Test the water and decide if you need to do water changes or not. Shouldn’t need to add any bacteria - just feed a little once in a while. Could even add some snails and/or hermits if you want.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back