I have a tank mystery

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lavey29
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2021
Messages
15,161
Reaction score
16,359
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past couple months I hear this intermittent loud snapping sound coming from the tank. One would think that a mantis or pistol shrimp was in the tank but I have neither. I have a couple fire shrimp, peppers. Pitho crabs and a banded shrimp.

I've had banded shrimp previously but have never heard this loud cracking sound before. Do you guys think the banded shrimp is snap cracking something in the rocks somewhere? He is generally hidden during the day when I hear the sounds and comes out at night
 
I have never had any of these creatures to know what you are hearing. I also wear hearing aids so I can get the blame from the misses. Do you eat Rice Krispies in your house?

Bumping for a little snap, crackle & pop mystery.
 
The past couple months I hear this intermittent loud snapping sound coming from the tank. One would think that a mantis or pistol shrimp was in the tank but I have neither. I have a couple fire shrimp, peppers. Pitho crabs and a banded shrimp.

I've had banded shrimp previously but have never heard this loud cracking sound before. Do you guys think the banded shrimp is snap cracking something in the rocks somewhere? He is generally hidden during the day when I hear the sounds and comes out at night
Good afternoon, do you have a diamond watchman goby? Mine constantly picks up hermits and snails that get to close to his burrow and gives them a ride across the tank and spits them against the glass resulting in loud crack sound.
 
Thanks, yes mine is huge too
Ok, so I was picking up some live rock and one of these critters came on into the box. I saw it and gave it back to the shop because I didn’t want it in my system.

Based upon a few posts I suspect that you have one that snuck in.
 
Do you have snails ? I have some that will rotate their shell and it makes a repeated cracking sound. It took me a long time to figure out what it was. I can’t remember which snails but maybe trochus. They were the big ones, not small like cerith.
 
Good afternoon, do you have a diamond watchman goby? Mine constantly picks up hermits and snails that get to close to his burrow and gives them a ride across the tank and spits them against the glass resulting in loud crack sound.
No goby, there is an indigo dottyback that I have seen pick up snails and toss them.
 
Do you have snails ? I have some that will rotate their shell and it makes a repeated cracking sound. It took me a long time to figure out what it was. I can’t remember which snails but maybe trochus. They were the big ones, not small like cerith.
I have seen my snails do this to but this popping sound is different and louder.
 
Ok, so I was picking up some live rock and one of these critters came on into the box. I saw it and gave it back to the shop because I didn’t want it in my system.

Based upon a few posts I suspect that you have one that snuck in.
My tank is 4 years old and started with dead rock. Unless some egg got into the tank on a coral and an unknown critter hatched.
 
Or maybe a mantis shrimp egg came in on corals or something and its just now big enough that you can hear it punching things?
 
Is it anything mechanical?? Never heard of a banded shrimp doing that!
No it's definitely in the water and sporadic no pattern to it. As Kevin mentioned above, perhaps my dottyback is smashing snails by tossing them against the rock in the caves but I have not noticed any decline in my snail count.
 
Or maybe a mantis shrimp egg came in on corals or something and its just now big enough that you can hear it punching things?
That's possible but I have not added a coral in a year or more.
 
Could it be a snail shell vibrating against a powerhead?
No, as I already mentioned this, I have seen my snails do this multiple times over the years. This sound is a single loud snap Crack sound from inside the caves it seems.
 
Bengali Cardinals make loud clicking noises and yellow tamarin wrasse makes a very loud noise biting the rocks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new