Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End view shot from today:

CBE189B5-4FF4-4EC3-8005-6927B93B2CE3.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Josh. How is your tank doing? Haven't seen an update on it in a while.

It's struggling, Coated in a nice thick layer of Aiptasia right now. The basement is being redone right now and the tank will be moved down there in a month or two. At which point It will undergo a reset. Lots of work ahead of me to get things back on track

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's struggling, Coated in a nice thick layer of Aiptasia right now. The basement is being redone right now and the tank will be moved down there in a month or two. At which point It will undergo a reset. Lots of work ahead of me to get things back on track

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Aipistia suck and when they get out of hand they can really be formidable. They are entirely beatable though, just takes some work.

What is your plan for the reset? All new rock and sand? Or just scrub/clean everything you have as good as you can and then employ some method to finish eradicating them?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. Aipistia suck and when they get out of hand they can really be formidable. They are entirely beatable though, just takes some work.

What is your plan for the reset? All new rock and sand? Or just scrub/clean everything you have as good as you can and then employ some method to finish eradicating them?

New sand, and partial new rock. I'm going to seed the tank and new rock. Move fish and coral to the new setup, then go after the aiptasia. Once the old rock has been cleaned of them, I will put most of it back into the tank.

I haven't decided how I will eliminate the aiptasia. MAYBE nudibranchs. But I don't like the idea of them dying off. A friend mentioned raising nitrate to an insane level. It should kill everything except the bacteria so I could maintain well seeded rock to add back in.

Lots of options to go with, just a matter of figuring out which one will work out best.

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple of decent pics of my gem tang this week. Just shot with the phone and edited with on board photo editing built into the phone to remove the blue hue and make it look like what I actually see in my tank.

4C98BD65-D9E1-4AB6-848E-8703C6C6B7E9.jpeg

7ABB499F-A366-4674-85BC-5548CFB60DF1.jpeg

53FBC4B2-9B64-46A1-A264-F96911DAB49C.jpeg

Also haven't posted water parameters in a while. Weekly tests run last night.

NO3-- 18.8 (Hanna high range)
PO4-- 0.09 (Hanna low range)
Alk-- 8.2 (Hanna)
Ca-- 440 (Salifert)
Mg-- 1410 (Salifert)

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the good camera out and playing with a new post processing program. Photos were taken in raw and then processed. I used to be able to do all this fairly well, but I am still struggling with getting good pictures that represent accurately the color and detail of what I see in person.

Here are a few that I have gotten processed. More to come hopefully.

DSC_2197.jpg

DSC_2212.jpg

DSC_2227.jpg
DSC_2225.jpg
DSC_2198.jpg

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I thought I recognized the name. Used to be on MIreefers. Haven't been to that site in quite a while. Used to live about a half hour from Kalamazoo, now I live in Indiana.

Do you have a build thread up yet. Would like to follow your build.

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I think i intend to be better about posting updates on this tank life happens. And life has happened to us over the last couple of months.

I am not one who shares a lot about my personal life on here, but I would like your indulgence about a couple of things. First of all, tank ins chugging along doing fine. Not much new has been added, just kind of a holding pattern right now.

End view phone shot from today:

IMG_2735.jpeg

Now for some of the life stuff. First the good. Our oldest graduated high school on June 4th. That alone kept us plenty busy with end of the year award ceremonies, grad ceremony stuff and obviously a party, but he also had twin cousins who graduated the same day whose party was 5 days later out of state.

Than the bad. Since my last update we found out that my wife has breast cancer. She had surgery to remove a mass in the middle of May (we literally had no idea when I posted last at the end of April). The doctor thought it was just a real small spot that they were going after, but they found more in what they removed than expected. She had another surgery this coming Friday to remove more. They are still saying it is very treatable, but it has been a big kick in the pants for us obviously.

Because of all that, the tank has gotten water changes and fed, and glass cleaned once in a while and not much more. I did snap a few pictures with the phone today so here is a small update.

Blueberry granulosa is really taking off and looking phenomenal lately:

IMG_2731.jpeg

IMG_2739.jpeg

This pearlberry lookalike is doing well too. I think the guy I bought it from called it Tapioberry??

IMG_2733.jpeg

Oregon Blue Tort:

IMG_2740.jpeg

Battle Corals Efflo 2.0;

IMG_2736.jpeg

And finally, JF Fox Flame is really rocking right now:

IMG_2732.jpeg

IMG_2738.jpeg

Sorry for the long post, but if you have made it this far, thanks for sharing the journey with me.

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some pics of the tank today. Just used the phone, so not the greatest quality, but things are looking pretty good lately so figured I would grab some pics.

FTS:
IMG_2892.jpeg

Falco Hawk:
IMG_2840.jpeg

BC Efflo 2.0
IMG_2865.jpeg

Fox Flame with Carolina reaper in the background:

IMG_2833.jpeg

Kole Tang:
IMG_2829.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Got some pics of the tank today. Just used the phone, so not the greatest quality, but things are looking pretty good lately so figured I would grab some pics.

FTS:
IMG_2892.jpeg

Falco Hawk:
IMG_2840.jpeg

BC Efflo 2.0
IMG_2865.jpeg

Fox Flame with Carolina reaper in the background:

IMG_2833.jpeg

Kole Tang:
IMG_2829.jpeg
Nothing wrong with this- Looks very nice !

OP
OP
C

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more from last weekend.

Setosa:
IMG_2879.jpeg

I believe it was sold to me as Rainbow Fusion:
IMG_2862.jpeg

BC Rainbow Stylo: I can't pull rainbow colors from it, but it looks good nonetheless.
IMG_2887.jpeg

And finally an end view shot:
IMG_2897.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back