I jumped in 225 gallon monster coming soon!

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this nice glass aquarium 225 gallon for a steal with a sump, skimmer, and stand. It was dirty but nothing some elbow grease couldn't fix to make it new again.
My BIG question though is how is this stand made to support all the weight from 225 gallons? The 2 crossbeams line up with those on the bottom of the tank, but they also sit about 1/2" -3/4" higher than the inner wood lip on the side of stand. Is it really only those 2 beams supporting all that weight or?

Thanks!

PXL_20230524_200120808.jpg PXL_20230524_200127182.jpg PXL_20230524_001254302.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to keep this stand, I think it would be smart to reinforce it at many points. BTW, hard to believe that any store could sell this for $799

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar stand on an old 90 gallon Allglass who I believe became Aqueon. The stand is rock solid. Been moved once and running for at least 15 years.

The tank actually sits down in the stand. It looks like yours is missing the end supports, Let me get some pics to show you.

Last edited:

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the corner showing where the tank sits:

corner.jpg

The ends are supported by lateral boards the same thickness as the center boards. My stand does not have the uprights on the ends that yours does, it has angle brackets supporting them. Yours looks like a stronger design.
end.jpg

It is also supported by the center braces, but only on the ends
center.jpg

I think if you get some pine boards the same size as your center boards, wider though, you are golden. Seal/paint, and staple.

As you can see, my stand is gross because it is so old and lives in the basement. I guess its time to clean and touch up the paint.

Your stand looks like it is in very good condition, just missing those two boards to support the ends.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem, as you mentioned, the front access sucks. Have to remove the tank to replace the sump. But I never had to do that.

Oh yeah, the hinges rust after 10 years. Mineral oil keeps em moving and probably rust free if you apply it more than once every 10 years.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the corner showing where the tank sits:

corner.jpg

The ends are supported by lateral boards the same thickness as the center boards. My stand does not have the uprights on the ends that yours does, it has angle brackets supporting them. Yours looks like a stronger design.
end.jpg

It is also supported by the center braces, but only on the ends
center.jpg

I think if you get some pine boards the same size as your center boards, wider though, you are golden. Seal/paint, and staple.

As you can see, my stand is gross because it is so old and lives in the basement. I guess its time to clean and touch up the paint.

Your stand looks like it is in very good condition, just missing those two boards to support the ends.

Hope this helps.
It seems like staples is what holds all this together. You think it's ok to have the staples instead of screws or nails?

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The staples just keep Them in place. Not load bearing. nails or screws would do the same, just drill pilot holes so you don’t split it. I am thinking the end boards on that stand were just layed in, that’s why they are missing so you may not even need to fasten them as long as they are positioned correctly. I would secure them.

To put sump in, pop the center boards up/off with a rubber/ plastic mallet and bang it back when it’s in.

Seriously that stand is a rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back