I just want a 15min delay on for a socket/switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone has come up with a simple solution to my dilemma. I might as well ask here.

Basically, I want the socket to turn on an item 15min after it gets power. So, I want my skimmer to start up only after power is applied to the socket and after 15minutes has elapsed. I know this sounds like something that would be simple to program.. But in GHL.. it's far from simple near as I can see.

I don't want twenty programmable logic things assigned to 1 socket so that in every feed mode and maintenance mode or anytime the socket shuts off the skimmer is delayed in starting. Near as I can tell the Blackout delay won't function like this as the powerbar and Profilux never had a true power outage. Am I wrong on this?

I know Reef Octopus makes a delay socket but it's set for 5min. If I can't find a better solution I might go that route. I'm also looking into Smart sockets to add to the plug on my Skimmer.

@Vinny@GHLUSA @Ditto

What did you end up doing for this? I'm trying to do it as well, but GHL doesn't make this very easy.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at the P4 Resource Guide. The steps are on page 64 along with many other examples.

Aquagen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest lowest programming way to stop a skimmer would be a float switch imo.
Pl 1 Socket off with delayed on 900s AND pl2 level switch

Personally I run my return as a timer, use autofeeders. Skimmer reacts to blackout delayed on at a socket level. Skimmer reacts to timer delayed on. Skimmer reacts to maintence delayed with combined pl

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live my ghl stuff but this is one area where the Apex is much easier. Programming these things is so much more complicated for an average person where the Apex and directions make it easy even for my wife

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my only real knock with the platform switch; the interweaving of PL gates requirements to achieve what is a simple IF > THEN statement elsewhere quickly becomes confusing, even to a techie like myself.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing for this? I'm trying to do it as well, but GHL doesn't make this very easy.
I by-passed the ridiculous GHL programing and went with a simple solution. I have my skimmer plugged into a timer delay. It’s not the 15 minutes I wanted but it works.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gx = filter 1 delay 900 sec
Sx ( the socket the skimmer is connected to) = function Gx

In your maintance program - be sure to switch of Sx. In feed program - be sure it manage filter 1.

This will make all loss of power to have a 15 minutes delay of the skimmer

Easy like that

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did something similar with a person in PM:

The First One is your Maintenance logic, make sure you invert this one :) For me this was Program Logic 21:

Screen_shot1.png

The Second one is your Feed mode Logic, for me I did this on Program Logic G22:

Screen_2hot2.png

Then I need to tie these two together, which I did with Program Logic 20:
Screen_shot3.png

Then Assign Program Logic 20 to the Switch Port of your skimmer:

Screen_shot4.png

Save your config and your all set. For demonstration set mine in the example above for 10 seconds for testing but for example if you wanted 15 minutes it would be set to 900 seconds. Last in the event of power outage which is not power cut detection by the P4(Which means the P4 senses the power outage and is still powered on) then set the Blackout delay to also 15 minutes.

Last edited:

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I by-passed the ridiculous GHL programing and went with a simple solution. I have my skimmer plugged into a timer delay. It’s not the 15 minutes I wanted but it works.

Thanks for the tip, but it's really kind of crazy that you had to buy that because the GHL isn't very helpful. Ugh. I'm going to try and figure this out if it's the last thing I do. Pretty sure GHL will be the death of me. lol

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the logic I use:

G5 is for my skimmer, G4 for my ATO.

Maintenance 1 is for when I do a water change and Maintenance 2 is for when I work on the rear chambers in my AIO.

I only use one feed mode (Filter 1).

I also have a power cut (Maintenance 3) assigned to the skimmer and ATO sockets.

1577196886691.png

1577197351782.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, but it's really kind of crazy that you had to buy that because the GHL isn't very helpful. Ugh. I'm going to try and figure this out if it's the last thing I do. Pretty sure GHL will be the death of me. lol

See my post above. It is easy

And both @Ditto and @ingchr1 have working solutions too

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gx = filter 1 delay 900 sec
Sx ( the socket the skimmer is connected to) = function Gx

In your maintance program - be sure to switch of Sx. In feed program - be sure it manage filter 1.

This will make all loss of power to have a 15 minutes delay of the skimmer

Easy like that

Sincerely Lasse
But this doesn’t work when a switch is turned off via feed or maintenance mode. The problem as posted originally is to have a method that delays the skimmer restart after EVERY instance that that socket is turned off, not just a power outage.

So if a person wants to have the skimmer off for all 4 maintenance and all 4 feed modes you need to create 16 programable Logics to make this work. Yea, NUTS on that.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The example I provided provides a delay of 15 mins after maintenance mode 1, or Filter Mode 1 and last 15 minutes after a power outage. All 3 should provide you a delay after the mode is completed.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your solution is an IDEC time delay relay.
If I remembet to, when I am at my office next I will get and post the correct part number, along with a wiring diagram.
These relays can be set for
ON delay, form a few seconds up to 60 minutes.
OFF delay. from a few seconds up to 60 minutes.

How you control the outlet to the time delay and skimmer is up to you.
But when the outlet becomes energized the skimmer will not turn on for however long you set it for.

There are three things on the relay to set.
1st if its to be an Off or ON Delay.
2nd the time setting scale. Seconds or Minutes
3rd the dial to set the ammount of time of the chosen cycle.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The example I provided provides a delay of 15 mins after maintenance mode 1, or Filter Mode 1 and last 15 minutes after a power outage. All 3 should provide you a delay after the mode is completed.
@Ditto Your post looks like this on two of my Forum viewing devices. PC & Ipad. No screen shots
Ditto.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back