I know this going to be controversial but.

I asked you, which is more important, the major five or trace

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how big of a part, but wild guess, 10%.

More unusual/more interesting organism availability, 30%

Better flow tools: 20%.

Better lighting: 5-10%.

Better foods: 5%.

Better informed aquarists: 10%.

Other: 15-20%

Just wild guess opinion…
This is a rare answer from a guy who usually gives precise numbers with back up papers for reefing questions.
I think this thread has brought out some interesting comments and diological chemistry in the discussion section.
I like it a lot!

Seriously I do.
Kris

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a rare answer from a guy who usually gives precise numbers with back up papers for reefing questions.
I think this thread has brought out some interesting comments and diological chemistry in the discussion section.
I like it a lot!

Seriously I do.
Kris
When I read it ,I did a double take on who wrote it. I was surprised too.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look I honestly don’t really know why I should care about trace elements maybe I should just give up and just do trace elements stuff.
why????? Does this always happen is the 4 time I’ve been slow and or fast roasted on my own thread. I think I should just leave the forum.

I like it a lot!

Seriously I do.
Kris

When I read it ,I did a double take on who wrote it. I was surprised too.
Op seems less than happy about the conversation. I don't understand why..(?)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look I honestly don’t really know why I should care about trace elements maybe I should just give up and just do trace elements stuff.
why????? Does this always happen is the 4 time I’ve been slow and or fast roasted on my own thread. I think I should just leave the forum.

Your original question was not worded in a way that folks who read it could help answer the question or discuss the topic in the manner you seem to have been hoping for.

The written language, placed out on the open internet is going to attract readers and commenters. It can take a long time and a lot of focus to put together a good question that will get people talking about the *think* you are thinking about.

The discussion that has occurred is interesting, but difficult to follow when lots of people jump into the thread at different points in the dialogue. It can't be read and comprehended in a linear fashion like a normal talking conversation. You have gotten comments from some very wise people in reefing. Your question brought them out, some of them were pretty blunt in the initial response.

This is the internet, we try harder on Reef2Reef to be helpful but no one succeeds perfectly all of the time. Take time to read some of the replies and take apart their answers to see what they thought you were talking about, vs what you were asking about. I think there was a good amount of useful reefing discussion in the thread, but it is possible that your original question or thoughts were never properly addressed. Sorry if we came off harsh.

Heavy Equipment Grading GIF by JC Property Professionals

* (edit- thing)*

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is probably the oldest here and I don't think I ever added trace elements that I remember except some times iron in the form of rusty nails. (Maybe most people shouldn't do what I do as I like to experiment, and I have added iodine as a test)

I now only keep LPS and soft corals but for many years my reef was mixed with SPS.

No problems yet.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your original question was not worded in a way that folks who read it could help answer the question or discuss the topic in the manner you seem to have been hoping for.

The written language, placed out on the open internet is going to attract readers and commenters. It can take a long time and a lot of focus to put together a good question that will get people talking about the think you are thinking about.

The discussion that has occurred is interesting, but difficult to follow when lots of people jump into the thread at different points in the dialogue. It can't be read and comprehended in a linear fashion like a normal talking conversation. You have gotten comments from some very wise people in reefing. Your question brought them out, some of them were pretty blunt in the initial response.

This is the internet, we try harder on Reef2Reef to be helpful but no one succeeds perfectly all of the time. Take time to read some of the replies and take apart their answers to see what they thought you were talking about, vs what you were asking about. I think there was a good amount of useful reefing discussion in the thread, but it is possible that your original question or thoughts were never properly addressed. Sorry if we came off harsh.

Your reply should be a sticky in a new member forum!

Well done!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy. Can you elaborate on “the water change math just does not work out.” I’m currently reevaluating my water change amount/frequency.

Water changes can never keep rapidly depleting ions at the levels present in the salt mix unless you do 100% daily water changes. Iron, manganese, iodine, and silicate, for example, often deplete in a few days. A once a week 10% water change cannot hope to maintain those.

Of course, if a salt mix has ten times more than needed, it can maintain adequate levels. It just cannot maintain the salt mix levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it a lot!

Seriously I do.
Kris

Chemistry questions are most often not opinion questions, at least not to the extent that this question about why the best reefs 30 years ago were or were not as nice as today and why.

In this case I gave a wild guess opinion and I doubt anyone else can do otherwise. :)

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate, I don’t do water changes in an attempt to replenish trace elements. I do them because all my tanks have higher nitrate, and that is one of the export methods I use. I simply don’t have a reason to check for or adjust trace elements.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was a similar conversation/post a few months back under a different user name....
I believe the answer to the poll above will depend on what kind of system someone is using - since a big part of trace elements is avoiding 'overdose' as well as 'underdose'. For those using a no water change method - they need to be more concerned about trace element levels - since they could be overdosing (thus - they do ICP and other trace element testing). In my tanks - I have dosed them (long before the ability to measure them) - and not dosed them - and have never noticed any difference. It seems likely (to me) that feeding a varied diet will supply any trace elements needed (especially if those products are made from items from ocean dwelling animals.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by that?
Oh, that it's a rare occasion to see Randy randomly pull numbers from thin air.

I fought hard to refrain from replying with something like, "hello there sweetie, can you give the phone back to your grandpa, please?"

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the question is kinda vague is relative to what your goals are. People have gotten away without dosing trace elements for years. Is this optimal or just good enough? That's pretty relative to each person and their tank. I've seen tanks that are seemingly beautiful that don't do anything regarding trace elements while the colors seem to "pop" more in ones that do.

OP
OP
Reef keeper 103

Reef keeper 103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The written language, placed out on the open internet is going to attract readers and commenters. It can take a long time and a lot of focus to put together a good question that will get people talking about the think you are thinking about.

It’s OK I prefer when people say truth to me. Also, I am autistic and I have ADHD and “giftedness”. Fact of my mind works differently then the average person can be both a good and bad also, I sometimes misunderstand things that people say on this forum. It’s perfectly fine what you said.
I have a preference for the truth, facts and logic over emotions.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemistry questions are most often not opinion questions, at least not to the extent that this question about why the best reefs 30 years ago were or were not as nice as today and why.

In this case I gave a wild guess opinion and I doubt anyone else can do otherwise. :)
When I need accurate chemistry questions answered I search of the numerical and informational posts that you provide in your articles and random thread answers on here. I have noticed that you rarely provide guesses, presumably you think so clearly in numbers and equations that "guesses" (in this case, percentage estimates) are not something that you are generally comfortable with.

The original question elicited some general estimates from you along the way. It was kind of refreshing to read them, simply because generally you don't write stuff like that in your replies. The OP doesn't seem to appreciate what the original question and thread replies had become.

Getting a "wild guess opinion" from RHF is similar to creating a new element, I think? Great thread, if only for that "Opinion Spawning Synergy", imo.

Good Friday to all!
Cat Dog GIF by Charli XCX
:thinking-face:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To elaborate, I don’t do water changes in an attempt to replenish trace elements. I do them because all my tanks have higher nitrate, and that is one of the export methods I use. I simply don’t have a reason to check for or adjust trace elements.
This is precisely what I do with my water changes!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s OK I prefer when people say truth to me. Also, I am autistic and I have ADHD and “giftedness”. Fact of my mind works differently then the average person can be both a good and bad also, I sometimes misunderstand things that people say on this forum. It’s perfectly fine what you said.
I have a preference for the truth, facts and logic over emotions.
I read that. My doctor recently told me; "I am on the spectrum too."

It makes our communication more complicated, and I have to be careful to not get people upset with me with my diverse humor, and often very unclear (poetic) use of language.

Thanks for the kind reply. Your fellow reefer, Kris :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that it's a rare occasion to see Randy randomly pull numbers from thin air.

I fought hard to refrain from replying with something like, "hello there sweetie, can you give the phone back to your grandpa, please?"
@Sisterlimonpot
Are you really RHF's Granddaddy?
You should be proud!

Maybe not 100% proud, but maybe 3/4ths of a dKH on the Richter scale of reefing replies.

OK< I am done with all these hijacks. Everyone have a great day, I gotta do something else with myself.

Peace, on earth.
Art Summer GIF by dualvoidanima
How about an ocean
Summer Travel GIF by world-weather.ru

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back